S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 1st, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1
mass_quads
Addicted

Default Please help me pick out some skates

New to the forum. I spent a lot of time roller skating as a kid. Also got into blades, ice skates and skiing over the years. I've never competed, I've always just skated recreational. I love any sport where wheels or sticks are mounted to your feet

After many years hiatus I've just gotten back into roller skating with my two daughters 2 and 5yrs old. I just purchased skates for them and now I'm trying to figure out what to buy for myself.

I have Fred Flintstone feet and according to the Bont wizard I'm a 9.5 double wide (although my shoes generally run ~11 in size men's and as wide as I can get them). I've always used tall/artistic boots because that's what I had as a kid and that's what the rentals are now. I've never even tried Derby style boots but I like the way they look and I really hate lacing up tall boots in general. So I'm leaning towards Derby boots.

I don't plan to ever join roller derby. I'll probably be just a recreational skater til the day I die. I realize that indoor and outdoor skates are not synonymous, but it would be nice to maybe put on a special set of wheels to skate outdoors with the kids (on a flat parking lot or tennis court) once in a while when I don't want to use my blades. I don't do any tricks or jumps. I can skate backwards comfortably but that's the extent of my skills.

I like quality gear and I figure I might have these skates for a very long time. That said, I'd have a hard time justifying anything more than $300 (plus any $$ for a set of outdoor wheels if that's a possibility).

Suggestions?
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:13 AM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Welcome
If you have your old skate boots, use them, just lace them up part way
The boots offered today are a pale comparison to the leather boots of yesterday.

Otherwise, check eBay for your size in an old leather boot, heel 1/2 heel or no heel all are to be found.

Indoor outdoor, the boot doesn't care, yep, just wheels, still, pay once, use hundres of times.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:05 PM   #3
mass_quads
Addicted

I don't have any boots. Last pair of skates I owned were childrens

I'm now leaning back towards artistic skates. I'm looking at the Reidell Juice for $300. Alumninum plate, decent bearings, and it's available in wide.

What do you guys think of this skate? I really don't want to buy used.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Vanilla boots have a wider base. See if ya can try one out. Like a freestyle.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_quads View Post
I don't have any boots. Last pair of skates I owned were childrens

I'm now leaning back towards artistic skates. I'm looking at the Reidell Juice for $300. Alumninum plate, decent bearings, and it's available in wide.

What do you guys think of this skate? I really don't want to buy used.
I have theese exact skates (my aluminum plate is a bit older). Love the 120 boot, I also have a wide foot. Cushy enough to be comfortable, but still responsive. Ankel support is excellent. Molds well to your foot.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

See if you can try a Sure Grip Rebel boot at your local rink. They have gained popularity over the last few years, and a lot of rinks carry them. They are a low cut boot with a small heel and a bit of ankle support. They run generally wide, and will stretch a bit for a wider foot as well. If these fit, get the Sure Grip Rebel Avenger package skate. Rebel boot, excellent Avenger aluminum plate good bearings and wheels. Around $230.
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #7
mimi's dad

Google Connie's skates, they are great and family run, also you can get them to send you boots for sizing. I found that my labeda run a bit big and wide...I personally really like sure grip equipment.

Oh and connives has a chat option where they can help you and build something in your price range.

Skate fast!

mimi's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #8
mass_quads
Addicted

Thanks for the replies. I decided to toss my budget out the window and hire docsk8 to build me some quads with Bont boots.

I want to buy my dream skates while I'm still young enough to get the most out of them.

Plus, it's been a while since I treated myself
Old March 6th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #9
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Good for you.... Welcome back to the skate world...
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #10
mass_quads
Addicted

Thanks. The wait is going to be long, but it will be worth it
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Bont boot and a Doc build. GOOD choices.

Should be a mighty tasty skate.

Congrats.