S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM   #1
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Default Another newbie here! an hour from Boston

Hi, everyone!

So excited to finally be able to post instead of just reading! I am a homeschooling mom of 3 that just rediscovered skating with the kids. Used to go skating as a teen of course and just got back into it. Not sure how, but discovered jam skating and roller dance and desperately want to learn to do some of it. Not the floor/ break dancing stuff, but the foot work looks so fun! Anyway, I'm starting small...still working on crossovers lol. I can do it, but it's in no way comfortable and I feel like I LOOK like a clod, but maybe it always feels like that?

I bought myself Riedell Darts to start. Still learning about what's good equipment and for what purposes. I think these will do for now. I'm guessing it will be a while before I need to upgrade since I need to practice all the basic skills quite a bit before moving on to footwork. There is a local derby team that practices at the rink I use, so I'm thinking of maybe asking some of them for help.

One question (for now muah ha ha): I can balance for a few beats on each foot, but I noticed that on my new skates, when I do it on my left foot I actually turn to the right if I just coast. Do I need to adjust something on my skate? I don't think it's me since I've never noticed this issue on rentals.
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM   #2
jotson

Welcome back to skating! Many of us are return skaters.

Rental skates usually have harder cushions and are tightened down. If you have softer cushions on your Darts or the trucks are somewhat looser - it could just be shifting your weight to balance that is causing the truck to turn.

Try holding the wall or something to stand still and try shifting your foot side to side to check truck movement. Some movement is good to have, and the weight shift balance comes with practice.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #3
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Default Think I figured out the alignment issue

Thanks for the welcome. I actually found another thread here about alignment (once I figured out to search for "alignment" issues) which suggested that the trucks might be too tight. They had no give at all. So I loosened as suggested and noticed that it was misaligned. So I straightened it as best I could. Upon loosening them I also noticed I could actually control the direction of my turn by leaning, which I'd never really done before. Not while coasting anyway. Yay for learning new things!
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Kittywolf13
Skating Newb

This will be my next step I think. Once I get more steady consistently anyways. Lol
Kittywolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:01 PM   #5
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Welcome. Also check to see if the wheels are rolling free. If one is to tight it will cause the skate to go that direction. If you do a search there is all kinds of info about cleaning bearings, and adjusting wheels to get them rolling straight and free.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 03:34 PM   #6
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Yeah, I did have to loosen my wheels a bit as well, but that was done already when I noticed the swerve issue. Pretty sure it was mostly a too tight truck issue. Also I'm gonna get softer bushings because I don't want my trucks to be loose, but I still want the give and I saw on a video someone describing almost the exact skate I had (same brand, different model...maybe one model up) and he said the stock bushings weren't very good because they were too hard. Feel free to disagree with anything I say here lol. This was only one video. Also, about how often should I clean the bearings? I only just got these skates brand new a week ago.

Kittywolf I didn't say I was GOOD at controlling my direction with lean, I just noticed that now it's actually POSSIBLE. LOL
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:01 PM   #7
jotson

I agree! Go for the softer cushions. As you suggested, when the trucks are just snugged up, the cushions are allowed to do the truck motion. Lots of opinions on bearing cleaning. I don't usually clean mine, but I probably should once or twice a year. If you skate outdoors, then they may need cleaning more often. Keep up the good work!
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:44 PM   #8
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Lol you haven't seen my house! Let's just say with 3 kids, dusting is last on my list and I have several pets. I'm going to check to see if my local rink's skate shop has the cushions next time I go. The shipping from ordering them online was almost as much as the price of 8 cushions!
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Once Again MAss South Shore Honey

Hi Again,

Just coasting through some of the segments and found you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeoftheValley View Post
Hi, everyone! o - o One question (for now muah ha ha): I can balance for a few beats on each foot, but I noticed that on my new skates, when I do it on my left foot I actually turn to the right if I just coast. Do I need to adjust something on my skate? I don't think it's me since I've never noticed this issue on rentals.

In General you should be able to hold a steady position on each skate, and then do a weave around the circles or straight aways. Balance and control on each foot is great for good skating.

The problem is not an adjustment, although some might think it is.

1) You might need Orthotics to center your balance on each foot
2) You might need to check the mounting of your plate

Anyway two ideas and I have more, yet I have to go for tonight.
Sorry, Yet got to Go. And Keep Skating

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #10
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Well I do see a little unevenness in my control of each foot (i.e. I can balance better on my right than my left) but I also noticed that when I rolled my empty skates across the floor, the left one did make a curve to the right all by itself. Looking at the bottom it looked like the front wheels were a little misaligned so I loosened the truck, straightened the wheels and retightened. It's not perfect now, but it's much better. Enough that I can overcompensate for what little curve there is using just my weight. Definitely a combo issue.

Sorry if my posts are a little ADD all over the place lol.
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #11
Derrick

Quote:
I rolled my empty skates across the floor, the left one did make a curve to the right all by itself.
Make sure the truck pivot is not loose in the pivot insert (bushing). If you skate them then free roll them again and the problem returns, this could be the issue. I opened a brand new pair of Rock skates where theese were completely missing.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #12
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Everything looks good right now, but I'll keep that in mind if it happens again. I did notice since you mentioned that one of my son's pivot cups is cracked around the edge of it. Guess I'll put a couple of sets of those on the list of bits and bobs I need to order.

Any recommendations on favorite brands of pivot cups, bushings or even bearings? I know that last one is really gonna wrack up some opinions lol.
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #13
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Running them w/o Weight is not a Test

Hi Honey,

Your posts are just fine. No way ADD or even OCD.

Quote:
Well I do see a little unevenness in my control of each foot (i.e. I can balance better on my right than my left) but I also noticed that when I rolled my empty skates across the floor, the left one did make a curve to the right all by itself. Looking at the bottom it looked like the front wheels were a little misaligned so I loosened the truck, straightened the wheels and retightened. It's not perfect now, but it's much better. Enough that I can overcompensate for what little curve there is using just my weight. Definitely a combo issue.

Sorry if my posts are a little ADD all over the place lol.
1) The slight misguidance you saw running your skates w/o your body is OK.
a) Done this myself years ago. It doesn't really prove anything.
b) Now if a SERIOUS run out is detected than maybe it does predict a problem.
- (You just got to do this On Skates with your body.

2) Run Straight on Each Skate
a) Roller Skates more so than InLines allows a person to skate straight
even if they have some problems (too many to list).
b) Anyway you should be able to pick up the other foot and skate
on the straight away with one foot.
c) Caution: We favor one leg and foot more than the other. Just like eyes,
arms, hands, etc. And the Rink in Skating us only in the Normal Direction
also supports our 'Right Handed favor'
SO One skate foot is going to hold the straight better than the other.
Yet the other should still hold for a bit.

d) When you skate lots more. I mean lots, backwards, forwards in each direction and more, the difference seems to decease. Yet it is still there.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Derrick

Quote:

One question (for now muah ha ha): I can balance for a few beats on each foot, but I noticed that on my new skates, when I do it on my left foot I actually turn to the right if I just coast. Do I need to adjust something on my skate? .
I just noticed you said your lifting for a few beats. Are you getting your weight all the way over your left skate? If your lifting and then catching, your weight probably is towards the right (ready to catch). if you able go on one foot outside edge then inside edge without droping the other foot? And best back again. This should force you to have your entire weight over one skate, at least for a few moments.

It looks a bit wierd in session but I think its a good exersise for balance.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #15
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

I think it was/is a combo issue. The left skate was pulling to the right pretty severely even while empty. I loosened and straightened the trucks a bit and now the curve is quite a bit better. I won't say it's perfect. I do need to work on my balance on the edges, though, definitely.
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #16
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

How do/did you guys practice all this stuff during sessions with so many other people (i.e. potential hazards) around?
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #17
Derrick

Quote:
How do/did you guys practice all this stuff during sessions with so many other people (i.e. potential hazards) around?
Cut to the center, or find light sessions, or pick up the pace a bit so you can get to, and time the holes in traffic.