S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 27th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #21
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Thinking about your wheels turning in and hitting on the plow stop. The first thing that comes to mind is you are keeping your feet to close together.
I rather suspect it's more a matter of turning the toes too far in without breaking the grip of the wheels on the ground. If you try to emulate ski plow stops with the toes turns way in your wheels have to slide to provide stopping power. As long as there is no sliding the wheels continue to roll in the direction you hold them - towards each other.

It can be difficult to keep your balance while sliding. Try a less aggressive angle (don't turn the toes in quite so far) and see if that works. You won't stop as quickly, but you will stop. I would also recommend a stepping plow stop. Turn your toes in as far as you currently do, but step from one skate to the other until you are stopped. That way you can pull your feet back out after each step. It's also better for the life of the wheels.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skating in the EU's/USA's Far East

Hi Jace48,

Motivation and competition with others is a GOOD, Humanity thing. More so it happens in these crazy things called democracies, rather than the old, very old established societies with their powerful elite or tribal leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace48 View Post
It was my second day in road and I think open roads are bit more difficult than indoors. The uneven road surface, micro craters, rolling surface, o - o It's not my first language.
I wish I could give you the video of a blader with a motorcycle, and piles of excitement that was posted here a few years ago. You might look it up, if you wish. The issue does get a bit complex, yet still fun..

Anway here are some skateboarders, which is very close to InLine aggressive road skating. My point is that YOU can do it. Make each hole in the ground a child and skate over it or around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6s827noTY

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #23
jace48

Thank you slowsk8 , Dave and WJCIV

I am off skate for now after the knee pain.

Will explore all advice once I am rolling again.
jace48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:53 AM   #24
jace48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Other things could be not having the skates tight enough and /or skates that are to big for you.
Slightly big perhahps? I originally tried size 42 (EU) however I did not have any free movement of toe hence selected 43 (EU).

While being stationary, if I bend my knee and take a ready stance. My ankle moves a bit and touches strap. Bit uncomfortable relative to straight knee but I am not sure if this is normal, however after a couple of strides I think I can move my legs a bit backward. So may be near a heel side I have slight clerance. Again not sure about if this is acceptable.

The other thing I noticed is that keeping the knee bent is diffcult. This I think is normal for new staker so may be weekdays I should be focus on off skate execrise such as wall sits and single leg standing to improve balance and stance.
jace48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM   #25
WJCIV

Quote:
Slightly big perhahps? I originally tried size 42 (EU) however I did not have any free movement of toe hence selected 43 (EU).
They're probably a bit big, then. When I put on my skates my toes can't move at all. Nothing can move without moving the boot - the foot is snug. Wearing too big of shoes is actually a really common problem because people think they should be able to wiggle their toes around freely, but in fact for sports where you need absolute control over your contact with the ground (skating, anything involving cleats, tennis shoes, etc.) that is actually a sign things are too loose. Nothing should feel constricted, but you should not feel a lot of freedom.

Those look like they have a padded inner lining, so this might get worse with time as the padding breaks in.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:03 PM   #26
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Do a Dance Bounce while Skating

Hi Jace48,

Taking a break from other stuff,

Quote:
Slightly big perhahps? I originally tried size 42 (EU) however I did not have any free movement of toe hence selected 43 (EU). o - o
Sounds good, You should always have just a little (thumb wide) wiggle room in the front of your boot. Most of us pull our foot back to the back of the boot. If it does slide forward it can cause problems particularly for the big toe.

Quote:
o - o While being stationary, if I bend my knee and take a ready stance. My ankle moves a bit and touches strap. Bit uncomfortable relative to straight knee but I am not sure if this is normal, o -o
Could be normal. Most long term, older, and hard skaters sense everything abnormal and adjust. Maybe you are just a highly detailed person. Just an idea and I could be wrong. High detail is OK.

Gave up on the next point, I will let slowsk8 and others work it.

Quote:
o -o The other thing I noticed is that keeping the knee bent is diffcult. This I think is normal for new staker so may be weekdays I should be focus on off skate execrise such as wall sits and single leg standing to improve balance and stance.
This eventually becomes natural, I do mean Natural. Let me say it again Naturalfor Skating. When a young to skating (older skater or not physical young skater, blader more than quader) starts off they tend to over compensate and over bend their knees causing back, quad, ham problems. They tend to forget about the bounce and skate Stiff_Kneed.

How about putting on a Sansa, an IPod, or some music device and do some dancing while you skate. You got to have that bounce.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #27
slowsk8

Quote:
Free movement of toes is not needed as long as there is no pain. The standard for beginners/rec skates is: when standing you should just feel the toes touch the front of the boot (not crunched) when you bend your knees it should pull your toes back just away from the front of the boot.
Quote:
While being stationary, if I bend my knee and take a ready stance. My ankle moves a bit and touches strap. Bit uncomfortable relative to straight knee but I am not sure if this is normal,
Feeling the boot at the front of the ankle is normal, if it causes pain or swelling it's "lace bite " How much you feel can depend on your skates, how you lace/tighten them, how much you bend your ankles (or your ankles, not all ankles bend the same)

Quote:
after a couple of strides I think I can move my legs a bit backward. So may be near a heel side I have slight clerance. Again not sure about if this is acceptable.
Again, the boot may be a bit to big, the foot should stay back.
Quote:
The other thing I noticed is that keeping the knee bent is diffcult. This I think is normal for new staker so may be weekdays I should be focus on off skate execrise such as wall sits and single leg standing to improve balance and stance.
Yes
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:54 PM   #28
WJCIV

Quote:
The other thing I noticed is that keeping the knee bent is diffcult.
Why? Is it because your quads (upper legs) start to burn or because you are fighting the cuff to get enough ankle bend?

Old November 4th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #29
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Opportunity Ideas is what I Love about SLF members

Hi Again Jace,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Why? Is it because your quads (upper legs) start to burn or because you are fighting the cuff to get enough ankle bend?
This note and slowsk8's is what I love about SLF when we are on a roll.

Each of us sees and knows other problems that could be your problem. And each offers suggestions or ideas. Now I have to admit he might be right, yet you ONLY will know.