S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 29th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Bearings

When I bought my Roll Line plate with a 7mm axel (it needs 7mm bearings, not 8mm). Hope I'm explaining it correctly. The bearings I bought seem pretty crappy. On all my old skates (inlines) the bearings were sealed on both sides. The ones I bought from the link that follows looks like these. See one side looks open? https://skatesus.com/category/roller...kate-bearings/
They get all gunked up and have now stopped spinning. I am currently cleaning them, but I want better ones.

Basically what I'm asking is what is the best bearing for a 7mm axel. I want it to roll for ever. Opinions and links kindly welcomed. I'm an artistic/dance skater, I want to roll. Money is no issue.

Thanks
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-...earings-8-pack

Also grab some speed grease, two drops per bearing after cleaning and rinsing with 92% isopropyl.

This price is better, get 16

https://www.amazon.com/Bones-Swiss-C.../dp/B001LF3T3S

Not only are they the best, replacement parts are available.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 02:17 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh

Just wanted to say thanks. I searched around and found the most affordable. (finding 7mm was the trick). Keep ya posted. Thanks again.
Old December 30th, 2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Just wanted to say thanks. I searched around and found the most affordable. (finding 7mm was the trick). Keep ya posted. Thanks again.
Bearings just get qube 8 ball. Ceramic is gimmicky at best. It helps to know why ceramics came around in the first place. Since their raceways are stainless steel instead of the normal 51200 steel. They were developed for conditions where magnetism and to an extent, corrosion could be an issue. For very sensitive applications theres even full ceramic bearings, but those arent for skating. The NVH we typicall subject skates to is bad for a full ceramic bearing and would fracture it.

As for speed cream, F that. It's over priced clipper oil, get some light weight synthetic motor oil. Its FAR better and WAY cheaper. 0w16 to 10w30 is what I've been using for a long time.

Let's have a quick look here.

https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-...-reg-lubricant
.5 fluid oz HALF A FLUID OUNCE. 8 bucks.

Vs 32 fluid ounces in a quart of oil. Which Mobil1 EP being one of the top tier oils that uses full synthetic group 4 or 5 base oils

Yet another upsell gimmick

If it was so good SKF and Timken would lube their bearings with it from their factory, or offer it. They dont, because that stuff is trash.
Old December 30th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #5
emtdpf

As an art skater myself, I clean my bearing a couple of times a year with a concauction of diesel fuel and rislone. I let them sit for a couple of days, and then they get blown out with compressed air. Then they get 2 drops of Marvels Mystery oil. Thats it.

My bearings are from 1983... I have 2 sets of Swiss Bones Speed, and 2 sets of 8 ball Fafnir.

I also took what ever caps were on the closed side...... off..... both sides are exposed.

Buy what you can afford, and maintain........

Art Skater out of NY? Do you skate out of Rollarama? Not sure we have met yet?
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #6
Oicusk82huh

I'm just gonna buy a good set and try to make them last the rest of my life. I never had any problems with my inline skate bearings, and I used them outside in all weather. They were never anything expensive. I'm just at a different point in my life now. I have my dream skates and don't really want to play with bearings anymore.

Emtdpf-
I've only skated at Rollerama a few times. It's far from me. My idea of fun is technical, but not competing. I refuse to wear silly costumes and engage in pageantry. I LOVE watching other people do it, it's just not for me. I made that mistake in ice skating and was eventually shoved into it all (skirt/dress/costume/competition). I went to Guptils this weekend. Do you skate there too? Same neck of the woods.
Old December 30th, 2019, 05:22 PM   #7
emtdpf

Quote:
I'm just gonna buy a good set and try to make them last the rest of my life. I never had any problems with my inline skate bearings, and I used them outside in all weather. They were never anything expensive. I'm just at a different point in my life now. I have my dream skates and don't really want to play with bearings anymore.

Emtdpf-
I've only skated at Rollerama a few times. It's far from me. My idea of fun is technical, but not competing. I refuse to wear silly costumes and engage in pageantry. I LOVE watching other people do it, it's just not for me. I made that mistake in ice skating and was eventually shoved into it all (skirt/dress/costume/competition). I went to Guptils this weekend. Do you skate there too? Same neck of the woods.
Morning.. I have never been there..... I really dont have time, since its still a 2 hour one way trip.........

And I understand about the pageantry....lol
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #8
fierocious1

Quote:

Emtdpf-
I don't waste my time cleaning bearings. I get an ok set, not over $20. Run them til they die. Chunk them and get some more. My used bearings I get from old skates last many years, so it's no big deal.
Old December 30th, 2019, 10:15 PM   #9
jotson

I agree with ursle on the Bones ceramic bearings. I have gone years without touching them, they seem to require the least maintenance. I was fortunate enough to get a used set for a song. Smooth and just keep going - the lazy man's bearings
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 06:45 AM   #10
Oicusk82huh

I never had any problems until now. 6 of the bearings completely locked up and I've never even used them outside. No rain storms ever.

Jotson- That is really is my goal..."the lazy man's bearings!" Hahaha. I just don't want to have to think about em. LOL

You guys still are the best for great advice. Thanks all. Every word noted.