S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 9th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #121
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default In defense of the short skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
I think I'm off rink skating and will just work on my outdoor skills. I've determined cars and hills and the inability to stop are less dangerous than skating with kids who are so awful they look like they're having an epileptic fit on wheels (im not mocking anyone here.)I feared for my safety the whole time. That's just not fun. Maybe I'll go on the once-a-month adult night.
Adult night is a great time to skate! But even there you will find people that do dangerous moves(cutting you off, exiting floor in a straight line at right angle to the circular traffic, beginners attempting to skate, drunks that can barely stand let alone skate). That being said, I really enjoy the adult skate each week. Two of my adult children skate with me.

But I also like to skate with the short skaters. I brake 4 kids is a very literal statement. I like to skate the afternoon skates with the younger set and their parents. I also like to skate the family sessions. I avoid the part of the session during the summer that a daycare has their changes on the floor(little ones litter the floor with their bodies because they fall so much). But some of the best and most memorable sessions were skating with the kids.

Now skating with kids is not for the faint of heart. You have to be on your toes(read that toe-stops) all the time. But the little ones for the most part have not been polluted by society yet. It is invigorating to see a young kid working very hard to learn a new skill and some of those little ones are very good at skating. There is a bonus for me - skating with the kids makes me feel younger for a few hours. It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
^ This. I had a talk with the manager and told him that I hoped to still be skating in 20+ years, even if by then I was just out there doing easy laps. I don't jump now, but I still want to be able to go forwards, backwards, couples, etc. Doing the shuffle/getting through packs now while I can because I suspect when I'm older that won't come to me as easily, if at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I still plan on skating as long as I can. Even when I'm slower and can't jump.
Kassus / Derrick: you are still relatively young. Don't borrow troubles. As we age, it is best to be as active as possible, but to remember our abilities are diminished. Pad up the body parts you don't want to break and chances are good that you can skate for a lot more years. So just keep on keeping on and Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #122
Derrick

Quote:
Now skating with kids is not for the faint of heart. You have to be on your toes(read that toe-stops) all the time. But the little ones for the most part have not been polluted by society yet. It is invigorating to see a young kid working very hard to learn a new skill and some of those little ones are very good at skating. There is a bonus for me - skating with the kids makes me feel younger for a few hours. It's all good!
I prefer skating with the kids as well. Skating outside alone is ok for learning, but really zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Although adult night has some great skaters and things to learn; they also have a lot of spoken and unspoken rules zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Give me those uninhibited kids everytime. I got these twin little chubby fellers trying to do my spins, and getting pretty good. They come up to me and say, have you got any new tricks. And a bunch of kids try to imitate the spiral. It's so quintessential skating and really quite easy. When I wlatz-jump they roll their eyes and say ,"That's not fair". But a couple have tried it. A couple of the teens could just do it first time. Better than my first 100 attempts.

I have absolutely no problem skating around the little ones going multiple speeds, even stopped. Just go a little faster than the crowd, so your the one doing the manuevering. Good spread eagle (side surfing) is a huge help.

I'm in a kind of unique situation. I am a better skater at 50 than I ever was and I'm still learning. My goal at 47 was a spinning camel. I'm actaully very close to that goal now. But my close is sometimes a lot farther than I think. Even if I accomplish that there is so much more to learn. I've never focussed on toes, but I can swerve back and forth and go front to back on toes. But not back to front yet, well kinda after a full rotation but I'm going so slow at the end that it doesn't count.

I never really expected to do any jumping at 47 when I started to try some "art" stuff. (quotes are there to not offend any real art skaters). But now, I want to do a mapes just one full rotation, that's it, I prommise, after that I'll be completely satified, really I will :.

See just a big kid, my driver license lets me in to adult night, but
i don't really belong there. I can shuffle some, but not as good as the adult crowd. Oh and I can't jam as well as the jam skaters either.

I have my own dance style that includes about 10 distinctly different ways to moon-walk. From super smooth to inside edeges. Reverse cross-rolls and more. I use my arms and hips and whole body to dance. Lots and lots of transitions to the music.

Yes, I should add elbow pads at this point. I have the wrist guards, swear by them. Saved me countless times (I fall a lot). Knee pads are i my future as well. Longboarding I require them already.

oh sorry super rambly gotta get the phine
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #123
LambChopper

I think once my skills have improved I won't have any problem skating with kids, but right now it was just too frightening. I do enjoy the family atmosphere, and they'd be fun to watch if my life wasn't flashing before my eyes.

There is the most adorable little girl I've seen each time who is the perfect example of high achievers as kids. Learning to skate appears to be dead serious business for her. She's about 6, and she keeps circling the rink without cracking a smile. She has no time for fun with her friends. She's there to skate!

Our adult night is only once a month.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #124
Kassus

We used to have an adult night about once a month or so, but a couple of people ruined it for everyone. It was the guy's first time, and he wanted to hear more country music. Now I don't care for country music, but who cares as long as they play stuff everyone likes at some point. Well... another adult got mad about that; she started carrying on about how she was there to skate and not sleep. The two of them kept being really vocal about their stances and the manager finally just had it, and that was the end of Adult Night.

Kids' Day is like most of you mentioned... crazy because you're swerving constantly, but fun because you get a workout AND the kids aren't trying to be jerks; they're just doing their thing and just learning. Although if I see some that are progressing (especially going backwards) I WILL offer a little advice; they learn the mechanics of going backwards but never took into account that they have to watch where they're going!
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #125
Derrick

Quote:
We used to have an adult night about once a month or so, but a couple of people ruined it for everyone. It was the guy's first time, and he wanted to hear more country music. Now I don't care for country music, but who cares as long as they play stuff everyone likes at some point. Well... another adult got mad about that; she started carrying on about how she was there to skate and not sleep. The two of them kept being really vocal about their stances and the manager finally just had it, and that was the end of Adult Night.
Shut down due to differences in music taste? Are you sure it wasn't a church? (Oh shoot, that's way off topic)
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #126
Kassus

Quote:
Shut down due to differences in music taste? Are you sure it wasn't a church? (Oh shoot, that's way off topic)
Manager was mad anyway because it was a poor turnout so that kind of was the frosting on the cake that night.
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #127
LambChopper

Quote:
Manager was mad anyway because it was a poor turnout so that kind of was the frosting on the cake that night.
It sounds like he was looking for an excuse. on the other hand, if people are going to act like children they need to be treated like children. They should've gotten a time-out rather than punish everyone.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #128
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
It sounds like he was looking for an excuse.
He always lost money on Adult Nights. Everyone always is like, "Oh yeah... I'll definitely come!" and then the night of the event he's lucky to have 25 there... and then they complain later that they wish there were more Adult Nights. Well... SHOW UP!!
Old April 13th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #129
Derrick

Default Champs in Lexington Kentucky rink visit

Heading to KY always need to do a rink visit when I travel. So this time it's Champs in Lexiton Ky this comming sat. mI'll let tou know how it goes.
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #130
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Taco Tuesday Roll On America 12Apr2016

Hi All,

I actually love this day. Having to pick many Spanish songs forces the young kids to pick some pretty good songs that I love to skate to. Now they do throw in some English songs.

Yet here is one that I love and I knew it from some of the words. You can't miss the music bars from a great song, plus good images from You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsoVlDFqZg
Bailando by Enrigue Ig--- Bailando means Dancing

One English one: She will be Loved by Maroon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIjV...=RDnIjVuRTm-dc

Because of maybe the 2$ entry or a little better attitude for skating in all sorts of ways it was pretty crowded with all the regular teens and me the Old Guy.

Crashed once on plastic on the floor that I think came from some of the InLine Spinners playing in the middle.

All in All A good Night skating.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #131
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default New Wheels

Before anyone asks: No, I did not need another set of wheels. The Faster wheels I had are just nicely broken in. But I wanted to try something different.
So - I ordered these babies!

The Demirojo wheels I ordered are 59mm in height and 38.5mm wide. Compared to the 62mm height and 42.5mm wide I was skating before. I ordered
59mm to get a slightly lower center of gravity and I wanted the more narrow wheel to make the chance of me hitting my own wheels much less. It also
lessens the chance of someone else hitting my wheels and bringing me down. Since it is a more narrow wheel, I went with the Demirojo which has a
softer red urethane embedded in the wheel.

I skated them yesterday. I started out carefully, because I have not skated a narrower wheel for quite a while. But it was very soon that I felt
completely comfortable with them. They are the perfect wheel for skating with the little skaters. When I skate with the adults, I will probably
use my other Faster wheels that are harder and roll slightly better, but with the kids I need lots of control(which the Demirojos give me).

So if you visit San Antonio Texas and see an old guy acting like a kid on red, white, and blue wheels - it is more than likely me!

Keep rollin

p.s. note the worn toe stop: I really do have to "brake 4 kids"!
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #132
larryoracing

Smile Really Kool Skates!

Would you call this a short mount?

I recently bough another set of Snyder Imperials. I wish I had the guts to buy the Royals. But I was a little worried. I just thought the Imperial was stronger.

Today something happened to my Imperial Skates, that has never happened to me before after jumping on them. I actually popped the pivot pin out of it's socket. I have never had that happen to me before, but I'm a lot heavier now than when I was a kid.

I attributed the problem to the wrong height setting on the pivot pin. So I adjusted the height to the correct height.

I also bought a shorter pair of Synder Imperials and want to experiment with a short mount with the new boots I bought. I just hope the boots are the correct size. Took a guess on the size of boot. We will see.

Thanks for showing the picture.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #133
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default The old man's mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Would you call this a short mount?...

I actually popped the pivot pin out of it's socket... I attributed the problem to the wrong height setting on the pivot pin.

Larry O
Your pivot pin problem should be solved by your analysis and fix. It is very important to have the pivot pin correctly adjusted and the more weight we put on it - the more important that adjustment is!

The boot is a size larger than I wear in a street shoe, but when laced up it snugs my feet without irritation. The dance style boot I had used forever previously, just killed my feet after skating over an hour. So the plate appears smaller than it should be, but it works perfectly for my feet. It is mounted slam to the rear to hopefully avoid falling from kicking the skates out foreword.

I had wanted to try the more narrow Faster wheels and when they started selling metal hubs in many different colors - I was hooked. What color hub to buy??? Well, what goes best with red and white? Duh, it has to be blue.

They skate well and hopefully will help me not make as many foolish mistakes. I don't fall often, but when I do - it's a lulu!

Keep rollin
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #134
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Orthotics Calluses Fast Wheels

Hi All,

I went ahead and was fitted for some new hard orthotics. I have older ones that work OK yet hate taking them in and out of each pair of shoes/boots I wear. My medical insurance does not cover them yet the Health Saving Account can be used.

Well the orthotic on the right foot was fitted too tight so before too long I had a huge callus on the outside of my foot that kind of interfered with everything including skating/mowing/etc. Finally realized it was the orthotic and went back to get fitted again on my right foot. We (the podiatrist, and me) could see the slight change with the new cast of my foot.

As for GRAY and faster wheels. First off Good photos.

I find that when I have not skated in just a bit, I should go back to softer wheels to enable me to do all my tricks much easier. On fast wheels, my current Roller Bones narrow wheels, the moves are a bit more scary until I rebuild my skills. Spread Eagle on Heels, Back cross kick ups, some other stuff. Fast skating is OK, yet it is all the neat stuff I added over the years that suffers. Once I got the moves back again then I can go on up to a faster wheel and deal much better.

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #135
Derrick

What is a "back cross kick up"?
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #136
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Kick Back on both sides, tap a hand

Quote:
What is a "back cross kick up"?
Hi Derrick, Gray Skater, Don't know what else to call it.

Like the Front cross kick up, you throw your one leg behind you and maybe tap a hand and then you throw the other leg behind you and tap a hand.

The goal is to get up some speed and keep on doing it for at least the straight away, yet you could add the end circle. And you could add some glides before you do the kick backs.

Some of the better Derby skaters do this also to gain balance on either skate.

Again probably no official name since it wouldn't exactly be an Art Move.

Also there is a Knee Up routine. Where going forward you tap your knee to your elbow, when good, and again keep on doing it. Prior to the elbow tap you might use your hand.

Edit-02: Hey Derrick, I am glad I caught your note. I have not been good lately on coming back at notes due to other stuff outside I need to get done, plus some other. Yet I wanted to add a note on calluses and see if anyone responded to my last note. Keep up the good work and GLAD as heck to have you posting on SLforum

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; June 30th, 2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Knee Ups, Lucky I caught this note
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #137
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default You never know who is watching

I was putting a shopping cart in the parking lot coral at a local grocery after placing my purchases in the trunk of my car. Suddenly there was a lady asking me if I rollerskate. When I admitted to being crazy enough to skate at my age, she introduced herself. Then she told me that she had been watching me skate when she was at the rink with her daughter. She was one of those parents that sit on the sideline and take video of their little darlings as they skate.

Another time I was in my front yard at the curb(I was cleaning skate bearings) and a visitor came to my next door neighbor's house. When he got out of his car he waved and came over. "Aren't you the guy I see skating at the roller rink?" I plead guilty and since then I have seen him at the rink a couple of times.

My skating amounts to going round and round without falling and I call that success. But since falling is always an option, I wear knee support with knee cap protection and wrist guards. Today I added a sweat band that provides a bit of head protection http://crasche.com/products . It worked well as a sweat band and fortunately I didn't fall and test it's crash protection.

Anyway: the moral to this story is - you just never know where someone will pop up and ask, "are you the guy at the skating rink?"

Keep rollin
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #138
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
The rinks l skate it is hit or mis with the backwards skating. Depends on the DJ. Mort came up and skated with us, and it didn't take long for them to stop the backwards skating. They don't complain about speed so much, but do say no speed skating during the day session. Usually the last couple of hours the rink clears out, and they don't care. I did ask the owner about the backwards skating. They were sued a few years ago. I guy was skating backwards and took out an older gentleman. Ended his skating. They were sued for not enforcing the rules. "Negligence". I didn't ask the outcome, but owner said even posted skate at your own risk doesn't mean anything anymore. They do prolly 6 songs that you can backwards skate, and couple skates. We can backwards skate in the middle. On a average sat we have 150-200 skaters on the floor. The last couple of hours prolly 50 people. They play more old school music then too. I go all the time, so they don't say nothing to me when i skate backwards, but I usually just do a few laps and turn around. The other rink I go to on weds, they say something as soon I start skating backwards. Same owners, but they are more sticklers. No skatemates. Lol there is a small rink by my house that is empty during the week. I use to skate it for exercise. There would be maybe 10 people on the floor. Sometimes just a few. I would do speed laps for a couple of hours. Small narrow rink, and very slick. You could do whatever you wanted, but not a lot of fun when nobody is there. Lol

Honey get out there in the middle and practice. More people might join you.

I'm so lucky to have so many rinks near enough. I can't go more than 2 laps without going backwards. I can always find a session that meets my style. Our local rink is doing all slow songs as couples only. The slow songs are the highlight of my evening and my wife doesn't skate. So they don't get my business on a friday night. They still have sessions I will skate though.
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #139
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Your pivot pin problem should be solved by your analysis and fix. It is very important to have the pivot pin correctly adjusted and the more weight we put on it - the more important that adjustment is!

The boot is a size larger than I wear in a street shoe, but when laced up it snugs my feet without irritation. The dance style boot I had used forever previously, just killed my feet after skating over an hour. So the plate appears smaller than it should be, but it works perfectly for my feet. It is mounted slam to the rear to hopefully avoid falling from kicking the skates out foreword.

I had wanted to try the more narrow Faster wheels and when they started selling metal hubs in many different colors - I was hooked. What color hub to buy??? Well, what goes best with red and white? Duh, it has to be blue.

They skate well and hopefully will help me not make as many foolish mistakes. I don't fall often, but when I do - it's a lulu!

Keep rollin
nice looking skates love the two color look. Wheels are the spice of skating.
feel your pain on the need for a larger boot.looking for a solution for me. I just need tp bite the bullet and try something.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #140
Derrick

Default Thread rules no session so foll ups are here

So....... I did some axel practice in my big yard. The neighbors were watching hee hee. But I did it, I got a full axel with a nice-ish landing. The extra space really helped. I'm forgiving my neighbors for calling my familya weirdos. It's their coments that convinced me to jump in the most highly visible flat spot in the neighborhood. I'm going over ther right now, thanking them, and giving them all a kiss right on the lips.