S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 7th, 2016, 02:22 AM   #21
EoinCuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcruiser View Post
Thanks Derrick. I'm a teacher so this is a great exercise for me in dealing with the frustration my students go through when asking them to learn something new all day long. It will take some time and effort, and honestly, I've forgotten.
haha reminds me of training new people at work.

Our rink does learning to skate lessons, and while I am pretty good just mucking around on skates, I've never done a T stop in my life. I decided to join the Learning to Skate lesson this morning with my 7 year old, purely so I had some quieter rink time to practice some core skills. It was actually a great deal of fun, and I can now do a fairly reasonable T stop on my dominant, and well, not such a reasonable one on my non dominant leg (yet)

I realised today I never actually practiced or mastered gliding on one leg, which was the pre-requisite skill today, leading into the T stop, so practicing gliding on one foot was invaluable. All in all, the learning to skate session was actually quite enlightening for me, and a lot of fun.
EoinCuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #22
htcruiser

Yep, the learning to skate is where I practice many things. It's no pressure, and if I just want to skate I skate or if I want to ask for help I ask. I skate with more advanced people that have become my friends during session. But really, I look at videos of people skating and they just glide like they're flying. I watch in amazement.
htcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #23
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcruiser View Post
Yep, the learning to skate is where I practice many things. It's no pressure, and if I just want to skate I skate or if I want to ask for help I ask. I skate with more advanced people that have become my friends during session. But really, I look at videos of people skating and they just glide like they're flying. I watch in amazement.
It'll come in time.

If your trying a new trixk or skill, spend no more than 5 to 10 minuites on it. Then take a break to just skate. After a short time, come back to the original trick you were working on and try it again. Rinse reoeat. This givea you reflection time and your vrain gets a moment to process what your trying to do.

Slow and steady, super precise first. Speed will come, but proper form must be top priority.

What "feels" smooth? Ask yourself that. Imagine your skating like a kung fu master, try to be fluently moving throughout your skating.
Old May 7th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #24
htcruiser

Really great to know I seem to already be doing all the advice given. I'm not the most patient with myself but heck if I'm going to fall and knock out teeth again. I'm starting from the very beginning and staying there until I know I'm ready. All of a sudden, I expect to be pleasantly surprised with my progress. Maybe in a year. ha.
Old May 14th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #25
everest

Smile Toe stop????

Hum... You want to learn T stop but you also mentioned when to use the toe stop...what kind of skate are you using??? inline skate or quad skate?

T stop for beginner can be hard to control, you always end of making a spin instead of stopping. When I started to learn inline skating (16~17 years old), I spent several weekends to practice until I finally able to find a balance point and then try to maintain the body position.

It takes time to get it done so do not push yourself too much. Just remember the proper position for the feet and the body, and try to remain balance. Balance is the key for any stopping skill.

Skating is a fun thing, so don't make it become something gets on your nerve........ though it will still behave like that at some point........ but at least it is after you are fluent with the basic moves and trying for more difficult moves.

Have fun in practicing~~~!!

Last edited by everest; May 16th, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #26
htcruiser

No, I don't toe stop at all. It's too awkward. I have quads. Getting better very slowly.