S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1
SleepyBear

Default Lighting options for night skating

Hi,
I'm wondering what options there are to stay visible when skating at night. I skate mostly in a park, and there are fast cyclists coming from the front and behind, so I need to be seen in both directions.

Thanks!
SleepyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #2
WJCIV

I don't skate at night, but I do have the lights for cycling, and they could easily be used for skating. There are two types of lights - see lights and be seen lights. I recommend the first option (CREE LED 6 buld light) for the front, attached to the top of your helmet so it looks where you do and the second option (Portland Design Works Radbot) for the back, either attached to the waist or the skate. I have both of these, and they work great. Be sure to angle the first one a bit down so you don't shine it in people's faces, and the blinking option does make people pay more attention in the tail light.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #3
slowsk8

Also many options can be found made for construction work at night.
One point, it's not a good idea to have a red light in front. People may think they see someone moving away from them and come out in front of them.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #4
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Glow vests for running are a good option to help you be seen. If you are in a road way, skate with a red light on the back, and a headlight up front. I managed to mount a Bell bike light to the back of my helmet for a tail light that was red and blinked. For the front, check out some of the climbing lights from Petzl, they make lights that will strap around your head or on a helmet, and are very bright.
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #5
SleepyBear

Thanks for the ideas!

What is the consensus on LED wheels, or LEDs stuck onto the skates?
Old September 18th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #6
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBear View Post
LED wheels are junk. They use clear urethane, which in my experience breaks down faster than the solid colored stuff. The bigger problem is that they aren't marketed at any sort of serious skater, so they use cheap material to get the parents to go along with the kids who think they're cool. And they are kind of cool. I kind of want a set of quad ones for a certain type of session just to amuse myself, but they won't be good for any serious skating.

As far as putting them on the skates goes, don't go overboard. I read about a biker who had something like a dozen red lights on the back of his bike. Some solid red, some blinking fast, some blinking slow, some patterned blinking. You'd think that it would be really easy to see him and cars would give him a large berth. Turns out that wasn't the case. He had near misses all the time. When he cut it down to two lights suddenly the near misses stopped. The theory is when people saw all that they spent a lot of time trying to make out the whole form and figure out exactly what was in front of them rather than just trying to avoid it. With two lights it was easier enough to tell it was a cyclist, but also obvious that more concentration wouldn't be able to tell what type of bike or whatnot, so it wasn't worth the effort to try.

With that, I would not put more than one on each skate. If I went that route, I would not put more than one on my back (plus a reflective vest). If you only decide to put a light on one skate I would put it on the left skate. You should be skating on the right side of the path, so anyone passing you should be on the left, and that will give them the best idea of how far over they have to move to avoid you.

Old September 20th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Years Ago was a Great Tread

Hi SleepyBear,

Years ago a pile of SLF skaters got together and skated. Lots of ideas came out of that tread for how to protect yourself when skating in the dark. (I seem to remember it was a skate in Canada).

Since then we have learned that other countries require their skaters, for safety reasons, to be like bikers with lights on their skates. Netherlands maybe.

Anyway check the SLF list for old notes on lighting for night skating. It was a long time ago when we were FANTASTIC..

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old September 20th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #8
SleepyBear

hi all, thanks for the tips, feedback on lighted wheels and also idea to check the archives!
Old September 20th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBear View Post
Waste of time and money, nobody's going to see them from in front or behind, and someone would have to be looking down from the side, lights in wheels are bling for the velvet lounge crew

Reflective outer wear and strobes on the arms if you're speed skating at night, I think the question should have been do you use a bright light to see your way (and blind yourself momentarily) or subtle lighting allowing natural vision allowing the eyes to see debris and cracks and others moving about.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:45 AM   #10
SleepyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Waste of time and money, nobody's going to see them from in front or behind, and someone would have to be looking down from the side, lights in wheels are bling for the velvet lounge crew

Reflective outer wear and strobes on the arms if you're speed skating at night, I think the question should have been do you use a bright light to see your way (and blind yourself momentarily) or subtle lighting allowing natural vision allowing the eyes to see debris and cracks and others moving about.
Honestly I haven't thought of needing lights to see, as the park has some lights though not very bright at certain parts. It's good to have a light shine the path in front of me come to think of it.

I was thinking more lights to make myself seen by fast cyclists.
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Ben K

I find myself only able to skate at late nights or early mornings these days

Bought a couple of reflective stickers but they never adhere well to my backpack or my skates.

I'm thinking of using retroreflective spray paint on my boot now, what do you guys think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUedN-pKHU

Gonna get the retroreflective beads cheap from china then sprinkle on after a coat of adhesive spray, 1-2 layers of that followed by multiple clear coats.
Ben K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:10 PM   #12
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K View Post
I'm thinking of using retroreflective spray paint on my boot now, what do you guys think?
Don't try to "reinvent the wheel". Cyclists have the lighting thing already figured out. LED lights with belt clips are readily available and many are USB rechargeable. Lights with a battery are called "active" lighting. This is what you need.

Reflectors are called "passive" lighting and only function when someones headlights are hitting you, and only that person behind the headlights will see you IF AND ONLY IF his lights are hitting you. If you are crossing in front of a car at a stop sign, they will not see you until you are right in front of them!

If you want to add passive reflective lighting, again, go to a bike shop and get some reflective ankle straps. Strap them around your ankles.

Also, God only knows what the adhesive you are thinking of spraying on your skates will do to the materials your skates are made of.

Here is one great option for front and rear active lights with belt clips: Blackburn 2fer Light Set They measure about 1"x1.5" in size. Tiny! Blink or steady light. Bright too.

Check out these ankle straps too: Mr. Visibility Ankle Straps

Do not use the ankle straps by themselves. Use the lights, add the ankle straps if you are really paranoid and just love reflectors.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:07 AM   #13
WJCIV

As long as you already have a light on your core I don't think reflective boots would be a bad thing. Drivers can see retroreflective stuff in their peripheral vision a lot of times because headlight beams are not focused directly ahead.

I think your idea is a bit complicated, though. They sell retroreflective paint. Why try to basically make your own? I'm not sure how it will stick to your boot if you have carbon fiber. Another option may be to buy boot covers and just put some retroreflective tape on them.

Old February 6th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Life paint. Check it out. I dont know if its for sale yet, or how much it would be.

LED wheels are fine if your not racing and just skating for fitness. Chances are if cyclist are buzzing by you, your not skating fast enough where a LED wheel: one on each skate, put in the rear, is not gonna affect performance much if at all. The rear wheels are all that is needed, most of the wear will be on the fronts anyways.

Since you can see where your going but you want to BE SEEN as people approach from the rear, placing the wheels on the last spot in the frame will catch eyes pretty easily.

If you dont want that, there is also the option of getting some high powered LED lights like may skaters customize their skates with. They can be quite bright and be setup for various colors and patterns. Actually a guy builds them for locals around Doc's rink. Costs a little but its quality work, and he will fix them if they break.

The LED wheels catch eyes easily because the lights in those wheels tend to pulse, not just glow. They also produce indirect light, i always hate comming up behind a strobing light. It always seems to blind me more and really distort my sense of depth perception. Being too bright can be bad as well.

Aside from thqt possibly some highly reflective tape strips from lowes or something would help too.