S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 19th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #1
JamesH

Default Derby questions..?

So , when I quit skating in 2001 Derby wasn't really a popular thing as far as I knew anyhow.? I'm back and getting re acclimated to skates and doing tons of research have a few questions.

It appears Derby is primarily a women's sport. Is that accurate?

What would you say the percentage split is? Seems 80/20 or even 90/10

Why is it this way?

Why are women into it?

What makes if fun? I watched some championships and it looks like rugby or football without proper padding for the hits.

Looks really fun and healthy

Anyhow .. Thanks !
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #2
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

"What would you say the percentage split is? Seems 80/20 or even 90/10
Why is it this way?"

A: In my area 90/5, on the westside of the state looks more like 80/20. As to why, I have no idea. I think it is a default prejudice by males that it is "women's sport" sports aren't gendered by default and shouldn't be, IMO. But that's a whole different topic.

"Why are women into it?"

The +100 girls/women I know well enough to have talked to; most where scared of it at first. Soon they found out that by putting in the time they got stronger, healthier, and gained a more positive self-image not because their shape changed [which it doesn't always] but instead because they found out it is ok to look different. Health is a combination of readiness to do physical activity and feeling good in your body [I don't so much mean self image, which is also important, but feeling healthy]. It also builds character, coaxes people out of their shell, allows them to vent physically, I've heard as many reasons as there are people.

"What makes if fun? I watched some championships and it looks like rugby or football without proper padding for the hits."

The comparison to rugby is not uncommon, I would say it is that aspect which makes it fun. When your on the floor you have to work as a team. Brace each other, assist each other into position. WFTDA has the added benefit of having a low bar for playing at a basic level, the packs are slower and more strategy is used. The game becomes accessible to a vast group of under served adults and kids who until now didn't think they could keep up in a competitive sport. I think that's why it's fun.

"Proper padding" is relative; at lower levels of play, yea I agree more padding should probably be worn. However, once you learn to fall/breakfall safely it is moot point. I myself have taken many falls on concrete and outdoors while reffing and playing and have yet to have a serious injury, because I have an active background and was well trained in breakfalls and rollouts, and when in the pack you have really thick expensive knee pads which are often described as falling on clouds. Skaters at the upper end of the sport get so good as balance and stability they almost stop falling. I would put money on a lower injury rate when comparing professional football to high level rollerderby.

Anyhow .. Thanks !
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Juice_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
So , when I quit skating in 2001 Derby wasn't really a popular thing as far as I knew anyhow.? I'm back and getting re acclimated to skates and doing tons of research have a few questions.

I would say so.

What would you say the percentage split is? Seems 80/20 or even 90/10.

90/10

Why is it this way?

There are several rules sets that govern roller derby The two main ones are WFTDA and MADE. The more popular of the two is WFTDA which stands for Women's Flat Track Derby Association.

Why are women into it?

Why wouldn't we be?

What makes if fun? I watched some championships and it looks like rugby or football without proper padding for the hits.

What makes any sport fun? It requires a lot of technique, strategy and a competitive attitude. I don't know that we could properly skate with more padding....

Anyhow .. Thanks !
I hope that answers your questions.
Juice_ is offline   Reply With Quote