S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #141
four_spin

Default Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidias View Post
that they wear small skates?
Don't laugh. I sport a size 6!
four_spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #142
four_spin

Default Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
How long does it take a 30 yr old to learn to skate? I can't stop, or turn yet. I been at this for about 6 hours. The slightest decline scares me to death.
I can't brake, either...cause I've rarely tried! That's what soft patches of green grass are for! I'm not very fond of barbed-wire fencing for stopping/braking, however.
Let me tell you, though, the fear of falling can easily make you fall! The more you skate, the more dare-devilly (I know this ain't a word...) you will become. The steep hill which once terrified this humble author is now my most favorite part of the track! Before you find yourself hurtling down said decline, map it out first.
1) Make sure it is clear of pedestrians...and prey-driven pitbulls off-leash...
2) Pick out your own lovely patch of pastoral real estate upon which to bail out of your courageous attempt.
3) Try to spot the innocent presence of pine cones, rubble-strewn areas, oil slicks...
4) When you actually execute your maiden voyage down the hill (Who knows? You might actually crash into a maiden, who will become your significant other in future, at least in court...), simply bend your knees, and coast down it a few times, after the observance of 1-3. If there is a bend at the bottom (and this seems strange, at first...)narrow the distance between your feet, adopt an open stance to the bend (left foot back for a left bend, right foot back for a right bend), and lean as required into the bend as you scream down the hill.
A sense of loosing your balance as you lean will subconsciously help in keeping yourself from falling. You would expect that leaning into the bend in an open stance would cause you to fall. It does not. You are training your brain, more specifically your subconscious, as well as your body to skate without wiping out...and this takes, well, practice. I've wiped out very few times, and when I did, there was little, if any, pain and road-rash. The one time I incurred some real pain was when I came down on my side, and ironically, I fell with the elbow pad neatly tucked under my rib cage. Ouch! For over a week, it had felt as if Iron-Mike Tyson had wailed on those ribs. Freak accident, really. But now I have a war-story to relate to other fellow inliners.
four_spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #143
Fluffy

Default Learning to Skate

It was scary for me at first to start skating skating for the first time in my life at age 40. I went with my wife and her friend's son. The kid is great on inline skates. I am sure if they are easier to handle than quads. I had a little trouble with the quads but I managed not to fall.

I am going to take lessons to develop my skills. The skate dancers are fantastic. I love their style. My wife thought I looked cute in spandex shorts. Most skaters skate in jeans. You do need a helmet if starting out for the first time. Everyone is really friendly and helpful on teaching you their skating techniques. The night that we went there about 4 fire alarms breaks with someone pulling the alarm during the session. It is a great sport.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #144
j-kitty

I love skating in the rink but haven't braved the outdoors much. I live in San Diego so it seems obvious that I'll want to go outdoors but I still have a scar on my knee from falling when I was 7. Maybe it's time to dust off the ole knee pads, I used to skateboard (long board) before I moved somewhere with more of an incline and less of a sidewalk. They just paved the parking lot at work so maybe I'll toss my skates in the trunk for skating with my coworkers later in the week. It's surprising how many people skate in some way. I have two coworkers who share an office and one roller blades and the other does freelining or free boarding...it's like two individual skateboards for each foot!

jt
j-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #145
Wolfgang

Various posters:
It is NEVER better to fall backwards.
Incline, flat or decline.
Trust me......

I skate mostly for transportation (aka 'cruising'), which means a (very) wide variety of surfaces and hazards.
Medium size 'fitness' wheels that are on the soft side and short, choppy strokes deal with most of it, forward thinking awareness also helps a ton.
So does not being afraid to wipe out, so if you are, go practice it.
If you're having trouble, go to the local skate park, ice rink, or anywhere else the kids play and watch what happens when they fall.
Also, always keep in mind that those videos you've watched are NOT REALITY!!!
Those are long time pros who've had the streets cleared for that particular shoot.
Do NOT grind the ledge of City Hall in front of the cop.
Do NOT bomb the busy intersection, unless you want to die.
Do NOT leap over the old lady and her Chihuaha - at least one of you will get nailed.
Do NOT get mad at the kid who screams "You're gonna crash!!" - you will be in the wrong no matter what.
Do NOT flip the guy in the super-xxtra-mega-extenda-everything Trukkk who slices you at the corner going 60 the bird - he's got a gun, 20 buddies, 3 manslaughter charges already, plus he's the cousin of the judge, you've got....wristguards.......
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #146
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Do NOT grind the ledge of City Hall in front of the cop.
Do NOT bomb the busy intersection, unless you want to die.
Do NOT leap over the old lady and her Chihuaha - at least one of you will get nailed.
Do NOT get mad at the kid who screams "You're gonna crash!!" - you will be in the wrong no matter what.
Do NOT flip the guy in the super-xxtra-mega-extenda-everything Trukkk who slices you at the corner going 60 the bird - he's got a gun, 20 buddies, 3 manslaughter charges already, plus he's the cousin of the judge, you've got....wristguards.......

oops, too late.

Except for the grinding and I never did get mad at the kids, who yelled for me to crash. I skate past a school some days when the kids are getting on the buses. In the begining they used to yell at me to fall and other insulting words. By I just waved and blew them kisses. (they hate that stuff) Now they all yelled together GO GO GO! and I try!
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #147
HOTWHEELS

Smile New here

Got my 1st pair of inlines Christmas of '06 but am just now really getting to know them. Have read Liz Miller's book and am feeling pretty confident on my skates. So I guess I'm hooked. I was a runner most of my young adult life, so I was looking for a less stressful sport to participate in. And this is great exercise. I don't remember doing swizzles while I was running. My balance isn't too bad, and my ankles are getting stronger too. I think I've found my new favorite sport. I'm even going to my first hockey game on Thursday where I hope to pick up a few pointers from the professionals. I've spent some time on ice skates, but inlines seem to be my cup o' tea.
Great Forum,
Don
HOTWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #148
leyla

Default Another victim of S.A.T.S

Hi all!

I wanted to introduce myself as the latest person so fall victim to the insidious disease of Skating All the Time Syndrom (SATS). I started back in October with a friend and we went to the local rink's hip hop adult session. I could barely lift my feet off the floor and had one spectacular fall, but it was thrilling-the mix of my fear and anxiety because I wasn't quite in control and also the vicarious thrill of watching all the other amazing skaters dance and do things I thought only well cooked spaghetti could, and when they raced by me or went around me at a million miles per hour--it was a total adrenline rush. I also loved the music, because I'm one of those people who has checked out of the popular music scene, and so I normally hear crappy pop but the music there was great. Plus a ton of sexy skaters!

Anyway, I have been going back steadily, taking lessons, and having a blast. Session skating is the combination of two great things-speed and dancing-and it is really addictive. I feel like I've learned a lot in the past 6 months and am anxious to learn more.

I discovered this wonderful forum and have spent many hours (when the rinks weren't open) reading and trying to get educated.

Thanks to all the people who make this forum so educational!
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #149
emmathelearner

i have mastered the art of forwards and turning but i am still scared of inclines that go down
emmathelearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:44 AM   #150
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmathelearner View Post
i have mastered the art of forwards and turning but i am still scared of inclines that go down
Congrats! Isn't it fun being a learner?

Don't worry too much about the inclines. Most of the ones that go down also go back up.

Something that has worked for a lot of people I know is to find a small hill, and skate a little ways up, then roll back down. Make sure there's plenty of flat "run-off" where you can coast to a stop. Go a little bit farther up the hill each time before turning around, and you'll gradually expand your comfort zone. The same method can be used to gain confidence in stopping, too.

Just don't do what I did as an over-eager young beginner: picked a big hill to learn on, with a busy intersection at the bottom, and kept racing down from the top!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM   #151
Wolfgang

If possible, find a gentle incline first, and make sure you know how to use heel brake, snowplow and slalom (traffic and width of hill permitting) as well as how to fall and/or bail in case of emergency.
Also, remember to lean forward even going downhill - which is kind of counterintuitive but crucial.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #152
HeatherD

Default My first experience!

I had my first experience rollerblading in many years (tried it one time in like jr. high 15-20 years ago) today. It was quite scary at first, but I realize, I just have to be patient with myself and go at it slowly. I've bought a video and book on rollerblading off of eBay (as there seem to be no rollerblading instructors around in my area), and I figured I might as well try and see what happens. I am just glad I have all the protective gear--I nearly fell many times and I wouldn't want to fall without any of the protective stuff on. But I survived quite well and towards the end I seemed to really start to get the hang of it (compared to when I first started out). It is really a good workout and I think if I keep going at it, I'll easily fall into the SATS (Skating all the time ). It's quite a challenge, but I enjoy it so far. I used to roller skate and ice skate a lot as a child, however gave it up for many years, however occasionally ice skated in college and within the last couple of years. .
HeatherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #153
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Welcome back to it Heather!

What videos did you get?
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #154
HeatherD

Default Thanks for welcoming me back to it, SoCal!

Thanks SoCal!

I got a video:
Ready Set Roll VHS - Rollerblade -Learn In Line Skating

and a book actually:
THE COMPLETE BLADER ~In-Line Skating~ Joel Rappelfeld

Off of eBay. :-). I can hardly wait til they arrive :-).
HeatherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #155
cyberax

Smile Addicted to Skates Now

Hi All,

Got my inlines about 2 months ago and the weather has finally let up enough so I can skate! Ireland's weather is very hit and miss for skating so its only now with the sun and summer sunshine that I can truly learn to skate.

I'm a student and I live on campus so there are plenty of Car parks to learn on. My first day on skates I crashed into a rubbish bin, lamp post and had to jump onto nearby grass so many times it was unreal. I'm really glad I invested in all those pads and that helmet. For anyone learning to skate, BUY THE SAFTEY GEAR!

So far I can heel brake, turn (not very tightly but good enough) and I can handle the huge number of speed bumps my college has installed.

One thing that did make learning very hard for me was little stones. They could be really tiny and yet I would go flying forwards every time one touched my skate. Getting better balance helped but I learned that if you approach them above a certain speed, your skates knock them out of the way so you don't trip.

Anyway, its 8am here in Ireland and I have been skating since 5:30am. Definitely Addicted
cyberax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #156
dogstar

Red face Beware; stupid questions and idiotic ideas may be found here.

I started skating about 2 months ago. I bought a pair of quads online and couldn't wait for them to arrive. Once they had I went along to a skate club held in a sports hall. I took about 4 paces and fell on my arse (I was quite chuffed actually, my mate didn't even make it to 4 paces!!) but I resolved to keep going. The following week I returned and started my laps. Slow and steady, right? WRONG!! I again fell on my arse, this time I really hurt myself. I sat most of the rest of the session out watching my friend.

The next week, we went along again. Right from the start it didn't feel 'right'. My feet were hurting, I was exhausted right from the get go and I just wasn't enjoying myself, I was also having a panic attack.

I didn't skate that night but decided to try my old pair of inlines the next week.

When Saturday came round again we went to a different skate club. Much bigger and noisier but really well organised. I tried my inlines on and instantly felt much better. I set off round the hall feeling more confident but my skates kept coming loose. I would tighten them up but by half way round they were loose and sloppy. I gave up that night having discovered that the clips were damaged.

I decided I needed to get a new pair on inlines so went to an Argos store (don't know if there is an equivalent in the US etc). Had a look at their catalogue and decided I would get the cheap pair, 38. Paid and tried them on, they fitted fine.

I've been skating every Saturday since at the club (the big one not the little one) and this week I've been out twice to skate along the sea front.

I'm 44, very overweight and very unfit, I can't do high impact exercise and because of my mental health (I suffer from depression, big time) wont go to the gym etc. I love my skating though I am not very good and as graceful as a waterbuffalo on skates! I've got several goals and I'm working slowly toward them.

I love this forum already, though it's like everyone is talking a foreign language with all the different skates and wheels and bearings and stuff! I have no idea what the specs of my skates are, all I know is that they are agressive skates, they have 4 wheels in a line and they roll! I have much to learn but I'm having fun trying.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #157
BleeckerSt_Girl

Greetings Cyberax, Dogstar!

Good for both of you being brave and getting out there to skate!

I'm a beginner too, on quads, been at it for about 4 months now.
I think you have to be tough to skate on your own...you have a right to be proud of yourselves. Others just sit on their butts and attempt nothing challenging.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #158
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberax View Post
One thing that did make learning very hard for me was little stones. They could be really tiny and yet I would go flying forwards every time one touched my skate.
Keep your weight back on your heels. That will help in all aspects of skating, but especially in dealing with debris like that.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #159
cyberax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Keep your weight back on your heels. That will help in all aspects of skating, but especially in dealing with debris like that.
Thanks for the tip. It's a nice sunny day here in Ireland around mid day so I'm off to give it a try. I'm getting slowly better. To skate by yourself all you really need is confidence and to get back up when you fall down.

All the best and happy skating!
cyberax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #160
Annie

Well Im 35 and I am loving skating! I found myold blades in the shed from when i skated about 5 years ago. Well i decided to start again and i have been at it for 2 months! I was doing really well! Got the heel brake mastered and whizzing down a few little hills. i also had a barrell roll..... nearly and was attempting slaloming down hill and the power slides! Then two weeks ago i fell and broke my right wrist and bruised my tail bone!OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!
No i was not wearing wrist guards!
well! Im back out skating again now cos i could not wait any longer! I have my wrist guards on aswell as the rest of the safety gear. Im obviously not practicing any moves at the moment and am very careful with the hills! I just glide around our local park and it is just great!
I LOVE SKATING!

Just wante d to say WEAR WRIST GUARDS!!!!!
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote