S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 11th, 2018, 07:34 PM   #21
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
For Sure but thats not what i meant, i just meant that basically dif brands produce dif colors in dif harnesses. If company A can make “soft” wheels in green and blue in “hard” as their only color options for a particular style wheel, and company B can make a “hard” wheel in green and a “soft” wheel in blue then logic says any color can be used for any hardness. Thus, i was saying i dont understand why u cant just order whatever color u want in whatever hardness on whatever hub style. Thats why i say color has nothing to do with it.
The argument above someone gave that it’d be hard to then keep track of dif hardnesses of the same color is for sure not a valid excuse for companys to not offer the choice (it may be the actual reason but a really bad reason none the less). I worked in inventory control for many years and it just take basic manufacturing understanding and basic inventory practices to keep track of it. Proper documentation and labeling are a virtual “cure all” for keeping track of which lots have which hardness.
Again, nothing i can personally do to change that they arent offered. Im just curious as to a commendable valid reason as to why not?
Lower priced wheels usually have color choice but you have to accept the advertised hardness in the purchase. Higher priced wheels usually have the wheels colored specifically to be readily identified when bought, traded or selected for different skating surfaces. I can go to my box and pick out which hardness of the same series wheel in a second, no need to guess what hardness because all the wheels are the same color. A lot of skaters carry more than one set of wheels to the rink, I usually carry 3 or more. If there is no special marks for ID of the wheels and I bought all wheels the same color, I might have a hard time selecting the right wheels for the job.
If you are fine with one color, you can get exactly what you want from Scott Corey. http://www.coreyskates.com/
Old February 11th, 2018, 08:16 PM   #22
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Lower priced wheels usually have color choice but you have to accept the advertised hardness in the purchase. Higher priced wheels usually have the wheels colored specifically to be readily identified when bought, traded or selected for different skating surfaces. I can go to my box and pick out which hardness of the same series wheel in a second, no need to guess what hardness because all the wheels are the same color. A lot of skaters carry more than one set of wheels to the rink, I usually carry 3 or more. If there is no special marks for ID of the wheels and I bought all wheels the same color, I might have a hard time selecting the right wheels for the job.
If you are fine with one color, you can get exactly what you want from Scott Corey. http://www.coreyskates.com/
Sure but the whole premiss is still flawwed in that providing us the color options doesnt mean those of you with multiple sets wouldnt be able to identify them. If you need multiple sets then you could simply purchase dif colors for dif hardnesses (basically the scenario we currently have). So ya’ll arent negativly impacted by providing the option. Those like me that have never found a need for more then 1 set couod then get the wheel we actally want, in the hardness we want, and especially the color we want.
Now if his was an option as i think it should be, if you bought multiple sets, w/multiple hardnesses all in thr same color then you as the consumer created the issue for yourself.
I still see not a single valid reason to not offer them in all the color/style combos that are collectivly available? Options arent a bad thing.
Old February 11th, 2018, 08:40 PM   #23
fierocious1

Quote:
Sure but the whole premiss is still flawwed in that providing us the color options doesnt mean those of you with multiple sets wouldnt be able to identify them. If you need multiple sets then you could simply purchase dif colors for dif hardnesses (basically the scenario we currently have). So ya’ll arent negativly impacted by providing the option. Those like me that have never found a need for more then 1 set couod then get the wheel we actally want, in the hardness we want, and especially the color we want.
Now if his was an option as i think it should be, if you bought multiple sets, w/multiple hardnesses all in thr same color then you as the consumer created the issue for yourself.
I still see not a single valid reason to not offer them in all the color/style combos that are collectivly available? Options arent a bad thing.
That is what the custom market is for. I am happy with the different color scheme. Most people are that I know of are. Myself, I like no pigment at all, a nice looking wheel and a hardness I like. I usually use this wheel 95% of the time. I can go to Corey Scott and buy a similar wheel full custom, color or not, wheel style and hardness. Now the reason most of these companies don't offer color changes is production costs. Most of the wheels are production runs. Colors, chemical mixes and hardnesses are specific. Changing the mix of a few sets of wheels isn't that easy, as in plastics there is a lot of waste connected with changes. If you change a color, a lot of product is lost due to the color being flushed out and turning to the color wanted to replace it. The color has to be checked for accuracy and the run continues for a while until the next color change.
Cory does his by hand and can accommodate you, one set or more at a time.
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:33 PM   #24
Abyss

Quote:
That is what the custom market is for. I am happy with the different color scheme. Most people are that I know of are. Myself, I like no pigment at all, a nice looking wheel and a hardness I like. I usually use this wheel 95% of the time. I can go to Corey Scott and buy a similar wheel full custom, color or not, wheel style and hardness. Now the reason most of these companies don't offer color changes is production costs. Most of the wheels are production runs. Colors, chemical mixes and hardnesses are specific. Changing the mix of a few sets of wheels isn't that easy, as in plastics there is a lot of waste connected with changes. If you change a color, a lot of product is lost due to the color being flushed out and turning to the color wanted to replace it. The color has to be checked for accuracy and the run continues for a while until the next color change.
Cory does his by hand and can accommodate you, one set or more at a time.
Yea but as with plastics extruders (molding injection of all sorts actually) the waste is built into the cost and of minimal to no concern to the company. If they ran em in lots then they dont lose time or anything more then notmal anyway. In my vast manufacturing experience, its a mediocre task and very “business as usual” to accomodate as many options to customers as possible. Just good business in my experience but either way, we cant change it haha
And Very cool, i wasnt aware of any custom market. Whos this awesome “cory” you speak of and where exactly to i browse his wares haha?

Last edited by Abyss; February 11th, 2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 09:42 PM   #25
fierocious1

Quote:
Yea but as with plastics extruders (molding injection of all sorts actually) the waste is built into the cost and of minimal to no concern to the company. If they ran em in lots then they dont lose time or anything more then notmal anyway. In my vast manufacturing experience, its a mediocre task and very “business as usual” to accomodate as many options to customers as possible. Just good business in my experience but either way, we cant change it haha
And Very cool, i wasnt aware of any custom market. Whos this awesome “cory” you speak of and where exactly to i browse his wares haha?
http://www.coreyskates.com/
Old February 11th, 2018, 10:34 PM   #26
Abyss

Quote:
Awesome thnx!
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #27
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Thus, i was saying i dont understand why u cant just order whatever color u want in whatever hardness on whatever hub style. Thats why i say color has nothing to do with it.
You can, but there's a price attached. Companies make things in certain colors for a couple of reasons.

Product identity is one of them. Ask around about OG green Shamans or pink Wicked Lips.

Volume is another. Believe it or not, skate wheels, particularly the really good ones, are not high movers. The more of something you can make, the cheaper they are per unit. If you could get any wheel in any color any time, that volume pricing goes right out the window, and products are more expensive. Premium wheels are already expensive.

Sure Grip does make one line of wheels that all hardnesses are the same color. Zombies are all black. The hubs are different colors so you can tell them apart. And although I suppose you have a valid point about being able to keep them straight in manufacturing and distribution, in real life there are a multitude of opportunities for like-colored wheels to get jumbled up, and that's a product nightmare. How would you like to get your favorite wheels in purple and have eight wheels with three different hardnesses? Yeah, I didn't think so.

There are some custom wheel producers who can accommodate you with top quality wheels exactly how you want them, but be prepared to pay accordingly.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:55 AM   #28
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
You can, but there's a price attached. Companies make things in certain colors for a couple of reasons.

Product identity is one of them. Ask around about OG green Shamans or pink Wicked Lips.

Volume is another. Believe it or not, skate wheels, particularly the really good ones, are not high movers. The more of something you can make, the cheaper they are per unit. If you could get any wheel in any color any time, that volume pricing goes right out the window, and products are more expensive. Premium wheels are already expensive.

Sure Grip does make one line of wheels that all hardnesses are the same color. Zombies are all black. The hubs are different colors so you can tell them apart. And although I suppose you have a valid point about being able to keep them straight in manufacturing and distribution, in real life there are a multitude of opportunities for like-colored wheels to get jumbled up, and that's a product nightmare. How would you like to get your favorite wheels in purple and have eight wheels with three different hardnesses? Yeah, I didn't think so.

There are some custom wheel producers who can accommodate you with top quality wheels exactly how you want them, but be prepared to pay accordingly.
For sure. I did look coreys over an hes got some cool stuff it looks like!