S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 19th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #121
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadDare View Post
Hi Could you send a set of wheels to Paris ?
Thanks best regards
Marc
Hi, Im sorry by late reply, last week I was in holidays. Thanks for your interest on my hubs. I have sent private message response.
ALBERT.PACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #122
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
They look really cool with the spokes
Hi, thanks for your interest on my hubs and for your good words. I have tested a set of my hubs and I have a very good impressions when I skate on them.
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #123
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Whatever happened with these? There hasn't been an update since Oct 2015. Are these available for sale? If so, how can we obtain them and what is the price (Euro, USD, AUD, etc...).

I'd love to get my hands on a set of anodized 608 hubs and mate them to a set of Aussie Scott tires.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #124
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Whatever happened with these? There hasn't been an update since Oct 2015. Are these available for sale? If so, how can we obtain them and what is the price (Euro, USD, AUD, etc...).

I'd love to get my hands on a set of anodized 608 hubs and mate them to a set of Aussie Scott tires.
Hi, I'm currently receiving multiple orders for the next batch of Hubs that I am doing. Now I send PM with details. Thank you.
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #125
ALBERT.PACO

A good example of the last version of my anodized aluminium hubs.

Last edited by ALBERT.PACO; August 12th, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #126
ALBERT.PACO

Right now we have a waiting list for the next batch of Hubs. Thanks to all.

It is curious but the skaters are asking for hubs for 608 bearings instead of 688 (micro bearings) and with black anodized aluminium hubs finish.
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #127
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT.PACO View Post

It is curious but the skaters are asking for hubs for 608 bearings instead of 688 (micro bearings) and with black anodized aluminium hubs finish.
608 bearings tend to be the more popular size for both quad and inline skate wheels. I think I've only owned a single set of 688 bearings.

This is because most of the major wheel manufacturers make their wheels for 608 bearings and an adapter is required if you want to run 688s.
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #128
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:

It is curious but the skaters are asking for hubs for 608 bearings instead of 688 (micro bearings) and with black anodized aluminum hubs finish.

"Popular" has nothing to do with better. The folks that want the 22mm bearings are stuck in the past. The original micro bearing launch back in the day was muddied by the adapter issue. Ninja's plastic adapters were Chinese junk that could fail under the weight of a 9 year old girl on a 4 x 84 inline skate (Nationals 2001, and it was my daughter). The Ninja alloy adapters were not very precisely machined either. Can't say for sure but most likely came from the same Chinese factory. The only good ones were Tom Peterson's alloy ROCK / Speed Master adapters. Never had an issue with those and still use them. Besides, no adapters are needed with wheels that are machined (or molded) for the 16mm bearings.

Speaking of Peterson's ROCK wheels, I had kids sk8 their Flame ROCKs till they fell apart and never have a 688 failure. Broken hubs on the pre-production Sn8ks (Fugitive equivalent) were a different issue for some jam sk8rs. Separation of the hybrid (aluminum and plastic) R-Tec hub was another problem... In fact, it took Aend years to figure that one out. I have chased more than my fair share of loose Matter / Answer / Atom outer hubs across the rink floor. (Yeah it looks like the finally solved the problem. Too bad that hub is still, contrary to the advertising, not equal to a machined aluminum hub..)

Another issue was the confusion with the 2 different sizes that came out at that time as there were both "micro" sized 16mm OD and "mini" sized 19mm OD. I know for a fact that the distributors could not keep them straight.

Old sk8rs know that the original Deano wheel is compromised by the plastic hub and wide bearing spacing. In fact, after all this time, I still do not get what all the excitement was over that wheel. I had several sets before the became cool again and was never happy on them. Broke the quad sets into 4s and sold them to skate board jockeys.

What I think the old sk8rs want is the "look" of the OG Deano with modern bearing spacing in improved materials. I also suspect they are afraid of the micro bearings for what ever reason. Sadly I have personally experienced more out of the box failures with "fancy" 608/627s than with the industrial 688s I use in 8mm micro bearing applications. The 167s from Bont?? No issues yet. In fact, several sets of mine have been rolling for more than a year before they were released to the public. (My personal experience, YMMV)

My 2 cents Paco.... If you have sold out the next batch of micro bearing hubs I would not get real concerned about the folks wanting you to make your hubs with the old style bearing. When you can get ahead of the demand for the micro hubs, then, maybe, you could think about a hub to take the big, heavy, legacy bearings.

Me personally and Paco's hubs?? I have a set, but for many reasons, the kangaroo has not made it over the pond w/ my tires as of now, those, and some other wheels I am waiting for as well .
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #129
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
What I think the old sk8rs want is the "look" of the OG Deano with modern bearing spacing in improved materials. I also suspect they are afraid of the micro bearings for what ever reason.
The look is the reason I'd want a set. They're unique and Albert's hubs are sensational. I just wish that that type of customization didn't come at such a cost. (says the guy who spends $160+ for a set of 6 125mm inline speed wheels).

As for the bearings, I'll avoid additional spacing when necessary. That said, since wheels are made mainly to accommodate 608 and 627 bearings, I'll stick with 608 and 627 bearings. I have sets of Bones Swiss (both 6 and 7 ball) that are over 10 years old and still roll as good as they day they came out of the box and I do little maintenance on them aside of a drop of Tri-Flow synthetic oil every few months or so. Some of my bearings take a beating during speed practice and I'd say take a bit of stress with the 125mm wheels that I use. That's a lot of side stress when my 200 pound body gets the wheels in their inside edges.
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #130
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Some of my bearings take a beating during speed practice and I'd say take a bit of stress with the 125mm wheels that I use. That's a lot of side stress when my 200 pound body gets the wheels in their inside edges.

Inlines load up on a radial forces on bearings where quads load up on axial forces on them.

Unless your doing slalom moves where the weight is being leveraged of course. Holding a hard carving edge in speed skating is mostly radial loads, and even a slower leisurely quad skater is going to produce more axial loads.

Each can have bearings tailored to their type of forces for a little better operational efficiency, but it wouldnt make much of a difference in feel.

Ive been skating micro bearings for about 3 months now. 3 to 4 times a week, always hard. While they are not as strong as the standard 22mm bearings, they shouldn't have a problem unless you have a catastrophic hit to them on the axial plane in a quad skate. Say in deby someone stomps down to get around you and smashes their big toestop onto your sideways facing wheel... or someone falls on your foot and lands their weight on a truck. That could break one if a smaller player hit square or with a large player just dropping weight onto it. A rare event though.

Of course ypur "bones" still "roll as good" if you have kept them maintained. Clean oil or grease is essential to preventing wear and polishing raceways.

I stopped running spacers on my quads to do 2 things, try to pull my arius axles loose, and to fully test the durability of these smaller bearings. Im not the largest person on skates, but I put some hard session time on them.

Eventually id like to get some of his hubs, just to have a set for my own comparisons, but im pretty convinced hubs with changeable tires arent as good as bonded urethane wheels.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:48 PM   #131
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

"Popular" has nothing to do with better. The folks that want the 22mm bearings are stuck in the past. The original micro bearing launch back in the day was muddied by the adapter issue. Ninja's plastic adapters were Chinese junk that could fail under the weight of a 9 year old girl on a 4 x 84 inline skate (Nationals 2001, and it was my daughter). The Ninja alloy adapters were not very precisely machined either. Can't say for sure but most likely came from the same Chinese factory. The only good ones were Tom Peterson's alloy ROCK / Speed Master adapters. Never had an issue with those and still use them. Besides, no adapters are needed with wheels that are machined (or molded) for the 16mm bearings.

Speaking of Peterson's ROCK wheels, I had kids sk8 their Flame ROCKs till they fell apart and never have a 688 failure. Broken hubs on the pre-production Sn8ks (Fugitive equivalent) were a different issue for some jam sk8rs. Separation of the hybrid (aluminum and plastic) R-Tec hub was another problem... In fact, it took Aend years to figure that one out. I have chased more than my fair share of loose Matter / Answer / Atom outer hubs across the rink floor. (Yeah it looks like the finally solved the problem. Too bad that hub is still, contrary to the advertising, not equal to a machined aluminum hub..)

Another issue was the confusion with the 2 different sizes that came out at that time as there were both "micro" sized 16mm OD and "mini" sized 19mm OD. I know for a fact that the distributors could not keep them straight.

Old sk8rs know that the original Deano wheel is compromised by the plastic hub and wide bearing spacing. In fact, after all this time, I still do not get what all the excitement was over that wheel. I had several sets before the became cool again and was never happy on them. Broke the quad sets into 4s and sold them to skate board jockeys.

What I think the old sk8rs want is the "look" of the OG Deano with modern bearing spacing in improved materials. I also suspect they are afraid of the micro bearings for what ever reason. Sadly I have personally experienced more out of the box failures with "fancy" 608/627s than with the industrial 688s I use in 8mm micro bearing applications. The 167s from Bont?? No issues yet. In fact, several sets of mine have been rolling for more than a year before they were released to the public. (My personal experience, YMMV)

My 2 cents Paco.... If you have sold out the next batch of micro bearing hubs I would not get real concerned about the folks wanting you to make your hubs with the old style bearing. When you can get ahead of the demand for the micro hubs, then, maybe, you could think about a hub to take the big, heavy, legacy bearings.

Me personally and Paco's hubs?? I have a set, but for many reasons, the kangaroo has not made it over the pond w/ my tires as of now, those, and some other wheels I am waiting for as well .
Hi, is a honour for me to read your great explanation about the bearing performance and your great support.

And yes, I remember that you have a set of my previous version of my aluminium hubs.

By far, I prefer the 688 bearing version. I have tested my last version of gold hubs with 688 bearing (with bont 167) in my Boen Speed plates and I have a very good impression when I skate on this hubs and I think when the people knows the micro bearing version, more people want this type of hubs.

Im an old quad speed skater, at international level and I have tested the 688 hubs thinking about the speed and the performance.

At this moment, My idea is to make both type of hubs for the next batch of hubs; one for 608 bearings and another for 688 bearings (micro bearings) because some people want the 608 or standard bearing version and by demand I think I will do both version. But in a near future I will do the hubs only for 688 bearing.

My aluminium hubs only weights 6 grams more than the OG Deano plastic hub.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM   #132
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
The look is the reason I'd want a set. They're unique and Albert's hubs are sensational. I just wish that that type of customization didn't come at such a cost. (says the guy who spends $160+ for a set of 6 125mm inline speed wheels).

As for the bearings, I'll avoid additional spacing when necessary. That said, since wheels are made mainly to accommodate 608 and 627 bearings, I'll stick with 608 and 627 bearings. I have sets of Bones Swiss (both 6 and 7 ball) that are over 10 years old and still roll as good as they day they came out of the box and I do little maintenance on them aside of a drop of Tri-Flow synthetic oil every few months or so. Some of my bearings take a beating during speed practice and I'd say take a bit of stress with the 125mm wheels that I use. That's a lot of side stress when my 200 pound body gets the wheels in their inside edges.
Thanks by to say that my hubs are uniques.

I have worked to get a good hub to improve the OG Deano design for to mount on the majority of modern skates axles and using the modern technology to get a good performance.

I hope soon you get a set of my hubs for to test on your skates.
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:06 PM   #133
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Inlines load up on a radial forces on bearings where quads load up on axial forces on them.

Unless your doing slalom moves where the weight is being leveraged of course. Holding a hard carving edge in speed skating is mostly radial loads, and even a slower leisurely quad skater is going to produce more axial loads.

Each can have bearings tailored to their type of forces for a little better operational efficiency, but it wouldnt make much of a difference in feel.

Ive been skating micro bearings for about 3 months now. 3 to 4 times a week, always hard. While they are not as strong as the standard 22mm bearings, they shouldn't have a problem unless you have a catastrophic hit to them on the axial plane in a quad skate. Say in deby someone stomps down to get around you and smashes their big toestop onto your sideways facing wheel... or someone falls on your foot and lands their weight on a truck. That could break one if a smaller player hit square or with a large player just dropping weight onto it. A rare event though.

Of course ypur "bones" still "roll as good" if you have kept them maintained. Clean oil or grease is essential to preventing wear and polishing raceways.

I stopped running spacers on my quads to do 2 things, try to pull my arius axles loose, and to fully test the durability of these smaller bearings. Im not the largest person on skates, but I put some hard session time on them.

Eventually id like to get some of his hubs, just to have a set for my own comparisons, but im pretty convinced hubs with changeable tires arent as good as bonded urethane wheels.
Thanks for your explanation about the bearings.

When I compete in speed, I have competed with interchangeable wheels and not interchangeable wheels and Deano, Vanguard fanjet or Labeda Turbo wheels had very good performance.

The only fault I put to him was that the aluminum hub were heavier but were fine performance. They are two different concepts of wheels.

Old January 21st, 2016, 09:25 PM   #134
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation about the bearings.

When I compete in speed, I have competed with interchangeable wheels and not interchangeable wheels and Deano, Vanguard fanjet or Labeda Turbo wheels had very good performance.

The only fault I put to him was that the aluminum hub were heavier but were fine performance. They are two different concepts of wheels.

Yeap. I just have to get the plates(arius) fixed first. Axles suck. Theres a bevel at the threading where the nuts go. Its OD is like 7.6mm. Almost all wheels end up with the outside bearing sitting on an uneven plane. And thats not good and offers poor comparisons for wheels.

The set of wheels that have the most trouble with these axles are the bont royal assassin's. Wider bearing seat and a narrower bearing pushes it into that beveled area. The bearing on the outside of the hub ends up with a lot of play. That takes the alignment out of whack. Some narrow bearing seats like vanilla hubs which have a spacing around .260 to .275(7mm) sit on the better part of the axle. Also the hubs are made for the 608s so they have more width on the axle too.

If the axles were just a bit longer before the threading it wouldnt be such an issue.
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #135
wired

Quote:
By far, I prefer the 688 bearing version. I have tested my last version of gold hubs with 688 bearing (with bont 167) in my Boen Speed plates and I have a very good impression when I skate on this hubs and I think when the people knows the micro bearing version, more people want this type of hubs.
You can count me in that group! I have been skating the micro bearing hubs for several months now and they work great! The only issue I have is since this is a new bearing size to the skate world they should sell them in 10 packs so some spares would be 'sloshing" around...

If you have deano style tires you really should try out Paco's hubs!

Old February 7th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #136
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
You can count me in that group! I have been skating the micro bearing hubs for several months now and they work great! The only issue I have is since this is a new bearing size to the skate world they should sell them in 10 packs so some spares would be 'sloshing" around...

If you have deano style tires you really should try out Paco's hubs!

Hi, thanks a lot for your good words about my hubs.

As you said, my V2 micro bearing hub version runs fantastic and versus the original plastic Deano hubs, a full wheels with my V2 hub is about 10 grams lighter, as we have talked in the previous page and with a modern design to fit the modern skates with a shorter axle.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:38 PM   #137
ALBERT.PACO

Smile

In few days we will order the next batch of hubs. Thanks to everybody for all your support in this project. The hubs are ready to roll from Spain to worldwide.
Old February 25th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #138
AussieScott

Quote:
In few days we will order the next batch of hubs. Thanks to everybody for all your support in this project. The hubs are ready to roll from Spain to worldwide.
Good stuff Paco.
I hope you can sort out a big order soon and get the costs down.

Regards,
Scott.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #139
ALBERT.PACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
Good stuff Paco.
I hope you can sort out a big order soon and get the costs down.

Regards,
Scott.
Thanks Scott for you good words about my hubs.

Yes, Im sure, that soon, with a big order of hubs, I will reduce the cost.

Regards,
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:59 PM   #140
ALBERT.PACO

Finally and due to the delay from the CNC factory, the next week I will receive the last batch of hubs. Im very happy with this and soon, I will upload some pictures of the new anodized hubs.

The Hubs are flying off my hands.