S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #21
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I think wheel duro would play the major part in this variable.
As well as the skate floor coating, temp outside, temp inside, humidity, skaters weight, cushions the skaters use, the action of the plates............ just use what works for each individual...... I went indoor skating for the first time in a while not long ago and found that the vintage, yes I mean vintage nylon hub Funky Monkeys that I have is the only wheel that would grip the floor......sorry but at my age I am not taking a risk
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #22
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I grind my own tools as well, I put a very steep chip relief and heavy rake angle on it. Hand stone it to razor sharp. The tool I use to turn the grooves off has about a 1/8" radius for the nose profile.
Lathe is set at 720 rpm, fast surface feed, I will check my lathe, not sure what the exact feed setting is.

I am not aware of any tangible data regarding grooved (actually threaded) vs smooth wheels and friction coefficients. I do see how grooved could be advantageous on dirty floors a bit.
Hey, there's a thought-I could thread the wheels for right hand and left hand threads, that way any debris gets cleared to the outside of the wheels!

How many people have been duped into thinking once the grooves are worn off the wheels are worn out and they have to buy new wheels?
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:24 PM   #23
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Ha.
Probably most here.
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:33 PM   #24
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
I grind my own tools as well, I put a very steep chip relief and heavy rake angle on it. Hand stone it to razor sharp. The tool I use to turn the grooves off has about a 1/8" radius for the nose profile.
Lathe is set at 720 rpm, fast surface feed, I will check my lathe, not sure what the exact feed setting is.

I am not aware of any tangible data regarding grooved (actually threaded) vs smooth wheels and friction coefficients. I do see how grooved could be advantageous on dirty floors a bit.
Hey, there's a thought-I could thread the wheels for right hand and left hand threads, that way any debris gets cleared to the outside of the wheels!

How many people have been duped into thinking once the grooves are worn off the wheels are worn out and they have to buy new wheels?
I would say it depends on the person and conditions. Im fine with the outdoor wheels being smooth. Indoors, tread works better for me. However, I like it best in a range of 60 to 30% best. I could sell old smooth wheels off as "broken in", but usually have no takers.
Old April 1st, 2018, 12:02 AM   #25
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
As well as the skate floor coating, temp outside, temp inside, humidity, skaters weight, cushions the skaters use, the action of the plates............ just use what works for each individual...... I went indoor skating for the first time in a while not long ago and found that the vintage, yes I mean vintage nylon hub Funky Monkeys that I have is the only wheel that would grip the floor......sorry but at my age I am not taking a risk
That is exactly why I carry so many wheels sets. The Lufkin tx floor is needing a good cleaning again, nothing stays stuck to the floor anymore, not even outdoor wheels.
Old April 1st, 2018, 12:04 AM   #26
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post

Going to change my cutter angle to more like a thick knife edge. Hoping to cut the high rebound wheels nicely.
Old April 1st, 2018, 05:52 AM   #27
quantoo

Default I might get an invite tomorrow

john down the road from me has been letting me use the mill and lathe for motorcycle parts.Im trying for 2 wheels at a time when i make up a mandrel.
What speed and feed works best for turning a 96 ish wheel ferocious?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2018, 11:48 AM   #28
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
john down the road from me has been letting me use the mill and lathe for motorcycle parts.Im trying for 2 wheels at a time when i make up a mandrel.
Not sure of my spindle speed as I installed a variable speed dc drive. I turn the speed up to a nice cut... but I have seen that some people cut at around 400 rpm.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:33 AM   #29
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post

Generally with plastics higher speed & feed is best. Too slow on either and you put too much heat into the substrate and it wants to melt instead of cut.
I cut my wheels at 760rpm and .002 per revolution feed.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 06:40 AM   #30
HeBeGB

Default Speed

I am cutting at 1700rpm on my modified Gemco.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM   #31
quantoo

Default thanks guys

Timmo recons your regrooving is awesome hebegebe.
My invite got moved to this weekend so i will give it a go on 700 ish rpm with a practice run on some dual pour zingers that were on a flyer5 plate tied to an engine crane i found in scrap metal bin as a replacement wheel for the crane.
They must have lifted a big engine as the plate is warped and the axles are bent.
Old April 7th, 2018, 01:59 PM   #32
quantoo

Default finally tried lathe style retreading

Well I could only get 700 rpm out of this particular lathe so things not only took longer but got messy, needless to say my old 62mm stillettos are now 59.8 mm
The lathe owner just grabbed an expandable reem of the shelf ,threw 2 wheels on it and dialed it up and i copied what he did for the other 6 wheels.
I was worried that because the reem wasnt holding the wheels from the actual part of the hubs where the bearing outer races fit ,that the wheels would be out of true.But this wasnt the case as the two wheels were butted up to each other back to back and the reem was wound out gripping that small 8mm space between the bearings. i ran the wheels on the skates over the belt sanding machine and felt no ovalness of the wheels .
the job doesn't look like professional regroove but the thane is fresh.
Will be some noisey skids next time im skating as the white shamans are a little quiet and dont exite me as much.Sorry i have to apologise for being a hoon.
I wont be doing it again its too tricky .
Old April 17th, 2018, 03:53 AM   #33
fierocious1

Default Changed my cutting bit

Had to reshape the tip. Didnt back cut the bit at all and made the notch very steep. Like looking at the edge of an ax blade. Made the notch with a file then finished it with a jewelers file, razor sharp. Very pretty cuts on the thane now. In a few days Ill try it out on some soft wheels. Gotta cut the 85s down a bit to reshape and take away the rolled edges and radiuses.
Old April 20th, 2018, 02:20 AM   #34
fierocious1

Default 85mm Kryptos

Soft and hard to cut urethane, but didnt turn out too bad.

https://flic.kr/p/GFzABH

https://flic.kr/p/26ks7pK

https://flic.kr/p/26gQw9E

These were not cut to produce tread btw.

Last edited by fierocious1; April 22nd, 2018 at 06:20 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #35
okie

Default Still at it. Steel cutting 12" hack saw blades.

A hack saw blade has a TOOTH SET, removes the material out of the way. You can choose your width of grooves,different tooth count hacksaw blades etc.

A hack saw blade can be set 90 degrees and parallel,therefor making every wheel exactly the same >Set the mic for size needed off the smallest worn wheel.

One cut reduces the heat in the cutting,(does it all at once) also makes a sharp edge in the groove valley,hence new surace breaks in 4 or 5 laps.

Note: Derby girls all smiley now,if possible? Hope is eternal,somewhat.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 06:16 PM   #36
okie

Default Da Hacksaw blade

Old April 25th, 2018, 08:37 PM   #37
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Lmao.....welcome back okie!
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #38
okie

Default Thank you. Fanjet

Been awhile.

Are the motorcycle GP sidecars racers till on here?

Me,still skatin at 76,but not leading the pack? Must be my ATOM strokers?

Monday night adult only still going strong 6 years non stop. Skateland Mesa,Arizona. NO yelling DJ just music,3 fast then 2 slower all session and not so loud you can't hear and talk.

Having a hard time making new regular weekly fun and exercise skaters,the millennials are just not that interested in it in today's world.

Really a strange group of kids,they have no handtools and no handskills,do not want to work on anything. No motorcycles or hot rod cars. And the worse part? They have little to none, competitive spirit. Have no idea where we are headed in tomorrow's world.
Old April 26th, 2018, 06:41 PM   #39
fierocious1

Quote:
Been awhile.

Are the motorcycle GP sidecars racers till on here?

Me,still skatin at 76,but not leading the pack? Must be my ATOM strokers?

Monday night adult only still going strong 6 years non stop. Skateland Mesa,Arizona. NO yelling DJ just music,3 fast then 2 slower all session and not so loud you can't hear and talk.

Having a hard time making new regular weekly fun and exercise skaters,the millennials are just not that interested in it in today's world.

Really a strange group of kids,they have no handtools and no handskills,do not want to work on anything. No motorcycles or hot rod cars. And the worse part? They have little to none, competitive spirit. Have no idea where we are headed in tomorrow's world.
I see the lack of drive a lot. No mechanical abilities or want to learn them... a new low in the US.
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:52 PM   #40
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
We got a pretty good adult night going on on Wednesday night at Holiday Skate Center in Orange, here in Cali. I am going to be driving through Phoenix around May 22nd, but no time to stop. Leaving Cali for Texas. Gonna build a house on Lake Travis. But first we are going to land in Killeen. Cheaper rents than renting near Austin. Then when the house is build, we'll have a short move from Killeen to Lago Vista. I guess I'll be doing my skating in Austin soon.