S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Bigjon

Default The road back

I am getting back into skating after an approximately year off due to injury. Long story short is I injured my ankle, which eventually needed cortizone, started skating again, had terrible foot pain, 2 different podiatrists spent a year making orthotics that didn't work and had the added bonus of chronic lower back pain.

I was originally going to post asking about how to deal with the foot pain but we had a breakthrough using KT tape to support my arches.

Now that it appears I am getting out of the woods with the foot pain I need to get back into skating shape. I am doing the obvious stuff like skating, treadmill, situps and planks. I guess I am looking for the most effective or targeted exercises that will get me back into skating form. I missed the whole home season this year and I want to kick ass and get back in shape for the next home season.

Any words of advice from others who have had to come back after an outage?
Bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I never got into an unfit state, however your fitness will comeback just like skating will. It wont take long if your hard at it. However what doesn't come back fast is flexibility. Stretch every day as much as possible. A good stretch can be held for 20 seconds without discomfort. If you stretch too hard you do more harm than good.

You had foot problems? Chances are your feet are weak. Don't wear shoes anywhere you don't need/have to. Its been shown our footwear with all of its "supports' really just keep out feet out of shape. I don't mean go run on concrete, you foot needs padding, not supports. Our feet ARE our support system of our bodies. Our feet can literally be "out of shape" then when we go exerting massive forces on them when there isn't just the right amount of support we can injure our arches, ankles, tendons and ligaments etc.

Take a good look at your feet sometime, see if they are flat on the sole, then try to make your arches as pronounced as possible. The first time I did this I got a hellish cramp. I have pretty flat feet, but now its not as bad. I don't work on my arches much but skating in a barely padded no arch support skate has strengthened my feet. Now compared to some people my feet look flat, but I'm sure things go both ways, you can probably have"too much" arch, and when your foot compresses the arch flattens out and your foots length increases. So a snug fit boot may be too small under loads.

My suggestion is look up "neutral foot" or other ballerina sites that talk about foot postures strength and conditioning to prevent painful issues as you have experienced before.

The other of course is try to stand in positions or sit or whatever the case may be, so that you are constantly close to a "stretch". This repeated type of conditioning will increase flexibility in the safest way possible. While using your new found flexibility BE CAREFUL you have to develop muscle coordination in these newly acquired ranges of motion. If you don't take it easy you could really hurt yourself.

Example, you do stretches to be able to get super low and do powerful long crossover strides.. Making good progress with your new found flexibility you go hard into a speed skate without first practicing form in this newfound reach with your legs. What happens is your muscles don't always fire as they should, and a group may contract forcefully at the wrong time. Like a sequential dynamite charge setup your muscles can "jerk" a tendon or ligament. So be easy with your conditioning.

Warm up to "warm up"
Always go through your ranges of motion carefully, don't ever stretch cold. Get aerobic first, get your blood pumping and your body loose. Then start testing your range of motions slowly.

Lastly, make everything smooth. Visualize yourself like a little "skate ninja". Just like in the movies where they do ridiculously smooth "drawn" movements, your goal should be to make your skating smooth.

EDIT
http://danceproject.ca/finding-neutral-foot/

Last edited by Mort; May 6th, 2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: links
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Agenda

I haven't been out for longer than a month, but what I focused on was:
1) agility/balance
2) endurance

For agility and balance I searched for off skates exercises. Most of the results are about ice skating or hockey, but both sports have similar motions to derby.

Exercises like these: http://hockeyfamilyadvisor.com/off-i...gth-exercises/

Those will help your muscles remember derby motions more than the usual exercises you are already doing, which are also great because they will help your endurance
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I agree with learning hockey skills because they are better than the drills you see most derby teams doing.

I wouldn't say there are "derby skills". There is just skating skills that are used in derby/hockey which are geared towards physical contact. Though if you watch the hits a hockey player takes vs a derby player the hockey players tend to fall a lot less. This has to do with foot positioning. FAR too many people only emphasize getting low and in "derby form". That saying has become a peeve of mine in the past 3 years. It just rings with me as seeing a girl get low, sitting back slightly feet 1.5 times shoulder width stance, but the skaters feet are side by side, so any forward or rearward bumping sets them into a fall scenario they have to try and recover from.

You'll notice the most stable skaters have a stance that looks just wider than shoulder width with a 1/2 step to it. Where either foot is in front/behind the torso. This allows them a base that can catch the forward or rearward hits. Feet side by side = lots of falling.

Outdoor skating in rougher areas will help stability... ALOT.

I naturally skate with a staggered stance from years of outdoor skating. And when I have bumped people, or people bump me at the rink I don't fall.
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Bigjon

Lots of good stuff here, thank you for all of the feedback. Definitely going to do the hockey exercises, I think that will help a lot.
Bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

I was off skates for 6 months with a broken leg. My advise would be just skate. Take it easy on yourself after you take your skates off. It took you a year to get where you are now. Have realistic expectations regarding the time it will take you to get back in shape
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #7
Armadillo

To minimize potential for future bone breaks, take supplemental Magnesium in your diet - not expensive either.

Near 80% of Americans are seriously deficient in magnesium, and this leads to weakened and lower density bones (more so than calcium, which is more often over consumed), not to mention many other health issues.

Only use the highly absorbable Mag supplements like Magnesium Citrate-Malate-Glycinate, etc. (no mag Oxide)

-Armadillo