S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 16th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #1
willicl06

Default Poisons or DotDs?

I'm looking for a new set of wheels for one of the closest floors to me. I feel far too slippery on Fugi 92s, so I'm looking at either the 86A DotDs or Poisons. I think the Poisons might be too grippy, but I'm looking for thoughts. I've found that people seem to really like both. I'm not ready to commit to turbos yet, though probably hoping to get them when I'm ready from something harder than the 92s.
willicl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Jazzy

Without knowing the floor your best bet is to talk to skaters who regularly use that floor and see what works for them. It may help to find someone who skates on the same wheel as you at your regular venue.
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #3
willicl06

It's a pretty small rink and I've only been able to talk to one other person. Might get to talk to another next week, and I did talk to the rink owner. Both people I talked to said the 92 should be fine, but I don't feel confident on them after taking a spill and bruising my tailbone.

I think I'd be more comfortable on the softer wheel, at least until my form is better. Then I'll also have the softer wheel when I need it on other rinks.

I'm still not sure what the floor is, honestly. It's not wood or sport court. It seems like plastic? It's blue, and slicker (to me anyway) than the coated wood floor. The coat looks to be about a quarter inch thick where it's missing in a couple places, and either the coating or the sub-floor has lumps in some spots.

I'm leaning toward the DotDs. I'm currently not worried about a loss of speed, just looking for more grip.
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #4
willicl06

I guess what I'm really asking is, if you're on a floor where you feel you need Poisons or Day of the Deads, which do you choose?
Old March 17th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

What skate do you use(boot /plate/wheels) What cushions are in it? What is your weight? How hard do you skate? Is this for session or playing derby or both? Where do you skate?

Many of us skate all over the place and could give feedback if we knew more.

I recommend superflys over poisons anymore. The 90A duros
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:14 AM   #6
slowpoke
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
What skate do you use(boot /plate/wheels) What cushions are in it? What is your weight? How hard do you skate? Is this for session or playing derby or both? Where do you skate?

Many of us skate all over the place and could give feedback if we knew more.

I recommend superflys over poisons anymore. The 90A duros
x 1000 on the Superflys. They're only $40 a set!

Those outdoor Poisons wheels, I'm sure one of your derby gals are 8, skate on em, so try em! Lots of folks are very good on em.

My wife has poisons, and 86A DOTDs. The deads are a good wheel. Pretty cheap too.
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #7
willicl06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I skate the Rebel Avengers, with the purple cushions that came with them. Right now I'm on all Fugitive 92A. I'm around 150. I'm hoping to get into derby, but I'm mostly working on skill building atm. I wouldn't say I skate hard.
There are 3 rinks "near" me; I think the biggest is in State College (haven't been but going next Sunday), followed by Lewistown (still not sure on the surface). The other is tiny, concrete, and not the smoothest and they're all in PA.
I'm going to try the Deads, see how I like them, and I'll look into the Superflys.
I'm also going to a bout next Sunday, so I'll hopefully get to see what a couple people are skating.
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Theres a junior derby bout tomorrow at Neville roller drome. Starts at 4? There will be a slew of us up there after the bout for session. Dunno how fat Pittsburgh is from you. You could learn a lot about gear pretty fast on Saturday evening

I got a couple wheel sets you could try out as well. If your only 150 and don't skate hard you should probably go down to all yellow cushions. If you find that too soft Initially you can put the purple barrel back on while you adjust. I got 2 sets of poisons. 1 used pretty hard, but recently resurfaced. The other is also used with just a few grooves left IIRC.
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #9
willicl06

If Pittsburgh wasn't 2.5-3 hours away, I would love to take you up on that. I'm about an hour, hour and a half west of Harrisburg. I do hope to visit a couple times this summer though.

I do want to go down to yellows, and I'm tempted to loosen my trucks a little. I also need to check my pivot pins again and make sure they're right.

I'm getting used to the feel of my skates again, as I've lost weight since the last time I could skate much. I got a new job recently that means I can skate more, so I'm hoping to get a lot more use out of my skates.

Waiting on my wheels to get here, along with my Bones Reds for them. They won't be here for this weekend, but they'll be here for the next.

Last edited by willicl06; March 20th, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Gorilla

I greatly prefer the DOTD over Poisons. They grip as well and roll much better.

The other wheels I have liked for slippery floors are the Atom Booms.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 02:19 PM   #11
willicl06

Thanks Gorilla. They DoTDs are here, I just need to get them on my skates and take them out. I'm also looking forward to trying out the Reds in them.

I know some of my slipping is bad form, but particularly on the floor in State College (finally got to go Saturday before watching a derby bout), I could never learn crossovers without losing on the Fugis.

If I like the DoTDs on the floor, once my form is better, I'm probably going to pick up a harder set of DoTDs or Turbos.
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Fancy-Kerrigan

Before running after different wheels, I would look at the action of your trucks. Sometimes new skaters have trucks that don't turn (flex), this causes your wheels to loose partial contact with the surface. This causes the out of control feeling most felt in the corners.
This tight action also causes trouble with cross overs. If your skates are difficult to turn, doing cross overs will not be easy.
Once you do get a handle on your skates and skating. I would highly recomend the 92 RBTs. I have used them on all rink surfaces....even an outdoor hockey rink and their stick and roll are unmatched. Hands down one of the finest wheels I have ever rolled.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:34 PM   #13
willicl06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Before running after different wheels, I would look at the action of your trucks. Sometimes new skaters have trucks that don't turn (flex), this causes your wheels to loose partial contact with the surface. This causes the out of control feeling most felt in the corners.
This tight action also causes trouble with cross overs. If your skates are difficult to turn, doing cross overs will not be easy.
Thanks for that advice. I was planning on loosening them a little anyway, they're still out of the box tight. That gives me a great reason.
I really hope to get some RBTs once I'm a little better and once I've got all my safety gear. One of the derby girls said she runs up to about the 101s in summer on the State College floor.
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #14
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

I weigh about 250 and a am a comfortable skater.. I bought some 101's and I LOVED them, except for a couple of floors. I wish I had bought the 97's instead, I think they would have been perfect for my need.