S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old January 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Agenda

Default Suede

Do any derby skaters use suede boots? I like the look of black suede, but wondered if it was significantly less durable. Would suede boots get wrecked terribly faster than plain leather?
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #2
jotson

I would image a genuine suede would well outlast the cheaper vinyl boots that most fresh meat skaters use. Do they make low profile boots in suede? I have seen traditional heeled artistic boots in suede. Good luck!
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #3
Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
I would image a genuine suede would well outlast the cheaper vinyl boots that most fresh meat skaters use. Do they make low profile boots in suede? I have seen traditional heeled artistic boots in suede. Good luck!
Thanks!

I'm looking at the Riedell 965, and trying to decide between the regular leather and suede leather options they offer. I haven't noticed any derby skaters wearing suede boots, so just wondered if there was a reason to definitely not go with suede. Not looking for vinyl or anything not leather.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #4
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Great on smooth surfaces.....

....Riedell suede is just the rough side from split leather, so techinically it would be thinner then full grain leather, and about the same thinkness as top grain leather.

I have it on my 951's and what I like about it is that it does not scuff like leather becasue it has a nap to it, and I find it easy to take care of. I see alot of suede leather rentals, and the amount of abuse they survive is impressive . I think the nap of the suede helps it resist damage and slide easier when sliding on smooth surface like polished concrete or wood with roll-on coatings. When polished leather slides/sticks on a coated wood or concrete floor it gets a floor burn similar to a person when they fall, and looks like crap pretty quick.

Also, Angelus makes suede dye in every color (can buy on amazon) for like $5 so you can simply clean and re-dye them if they get beat up and there lose color in about the time it takes to polish a pair of shoes. I would also get a suede cleaner brush, You can literaly erase the stains from suede and then "brush" the nap back into them.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmariner View Post
....Riedell suede is just the rough side from split leather, so techinically it would be thinner then full grain leather, and about the same thinkness as top grain leather.

I have it on my 951's and what I like about it is that it does not scuff like leather becasue it has a nap to it, and I find it easy to take care of. I see alot of suede leather rentals, and the amount of abuse they survive is impressive . I think the nap of the suede helps it resist damage and slide easier when sliding on smooth surface like polished concrete or wood with roll-on coatings. When polished leather slides/sticks on a coated wood or concrete floor it gets a floor burn similar to a person when they fall, and looks like crap pretty quick.

Also, Angelus makes suede dye in every color (can buy on amazon) for like $5 so you can simply clean and re-dye them if they get beat up and there lose color in about the time it takes to polish a pair of shoes. I would also get a suede cleaner brush, You can literaly erase the stains from suede and then "brush" the nap back into them.
exactly what I needed, thank you!
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Some version of Riedell's "suede" is not actual suede at all. They build the boot with the nice shiny side facing in and the rough side facing out ward.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #7
Nathan_

Riedell suede is very durable. We've had suede rental skates last 20+ years...

You won't be disappointed in the longevity of the boots.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #8
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
I'm looking at the Riedell 965, and trying to decide between the regular leather and suede leather options they offer.
I have the traditional leather 965 and I love them. The foam cushions on top are super comfy. They have a wider toe box than many of the other Riedell boots.

Update: Looks like Riedell makes the 965 in two different lasts, Gamma 965 D/B last with wider toebox, and Delta B/AA last which indicates a very narrow fit. Sizing info on Riedell website

Good luck!

Last edited by jotson; January 17th, 2015 at 01:32 AM.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:08 PM   #9
PappaWheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
Do any derby skaters use suede boots? I like the look of black suede, but wondered if it was significantly less durable. Would suede boots get wrecked terribly faster than plain leather?
I have suede skates that I have, on occasion, used for derby. They stand up fine. Unforunately, it is a lot of maintenance to revitalize the suede.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote