S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 16th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skating Advice for Older/ComeBack Skaters

Hi ALL,

The following tread stream made me think that that WE_ALL should give advice and -o- as always come from different angles/perspectives.

For Our Older Skaters coming on back to Skating, after a long dry spell. And yes some other come back skaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorr94248 View Post
Because of health reasons I decided to start skating again, after some almost 30 years. First my boots don't fit, so I have to get a new pair...Then my wheels, Rannalli 300 seem too hard for the floor I expect to skate on.... o - o Am I just an old dinosaur o - o
OK NC-Guy not picking on you yet you are once again skating a tough sport built of falling every so often. Great yet I want to keep you and others skating for a long time once you get re_started.

You as a Skater just can't stop other people (like little kids) crashing into you, or pennies, plastic pieces on the floor. Picked up several pennies the last few weeks which I did find odd. Yet hey it happens.

1>Wrist Guards
Now I know this is jerky compared to your youth yet it stops a normal
wrist injury due to stiffness you have developed since you last skated.
^ You have to learn how to kill that stiffness developed past skating days.

2>Body Pads (CrashPads)
Now Harold (SkatevideoGuy) recommended them to me on a fall I took a
bit ago. I don't use them yet if I was coming on back I might want to buy
some of these hiney crash things. They fit well under that pants.

Anyway, Chime IN Anyone, I left many other ideas untouched.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old December 16th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi MA/NY Skating Dave, xplorr94248, and Everyone,

Quote:
OK NC-Guy not picking on you yet you are once again skating a tough sport built of falling every so often. Great yet I want to keep you and others skating for a long time once you get re_started.

You as a Skater just can't stop other people (like little kids) crashing into you, or pennies, plastic pieces on the floor. Picked up several pennies the last few weeks which I did find odd. Yet hey it happens.
YES ! YES ! YES !

I just turned 67, now Skating for 60 of those years with out the multi-year "Break" or "Hiatus" that most all my compatriots have taken. Over those many years, I've seen far far too many folks taking all sorts of falls - and for those over 30 - way too many taking damage that has either restricted their Skating - or caused them to cease Skating altogether.

Most all those injuries could have been reduced, or simply prevented, by wearing the proper protective gear. I'm only still Skating because I've been wearing most of it for more than 40 of my 60 Skating years. I fall on a rather regular basis due to my type of Skating (Speed Skating, Spinning, Jumping, Some fancy foot-working, and a stint of 27 yrs of Stilt Roller Skating), and my generally limited coordination - let alone the items mentioned by MA/NY Skating Dave. At 67 yrs., 6' 4", and now 210 lbs, I'm not anxious to take Falls or Injuries - so I Pad Up, as I have for Decades now.

Like MA/NY Skating Dave, I'd really like to see many more folks Skating and enjoying it more - even us Older Folks.

I consider at least the Volley Ball type Knee Pads to be the minimum option for everyone to wear, since that's where I see most folks falling and Hurting. Adding the Hip / Coccyx Pads, Elbow Pads, and the Wrist Guards is the best safety option for folks over 30 - especially for the Ladies - since their Bones tend to be smaller and more fragile - and all of us loose Bone Strength as we age up.

Unfortunately, over the last few Decades, we've lost many Wood Floors. On most Wood Floors you had some "Give" and Slide. Now there are many more Coated Asphalt or Concrete floors that offer ZERO Fall Energy absorption (from "Give" and Slide) - Your BODY absorbs All that Fall Energy. Also, most of the few Wood floors left are now "Coated" and hence they offer "No Slide" either. So "Falling" in many Rinks Today is simply more dangerous to your body than in decades past.

Add to that - the Lower Lighting, Extreme Sound Levels, and the lack of Effective Floor Structuring being used in many Rinks today - and you have a recipe for Greater Fall Risks and worse physical damage. For those above 30 yrs. old, and those returning to Skating after a long Hiatus, those Falling and Damage Risks are even greater.

This is all based on what I've observed in more than 160 Rinks over the last 60+ years, my personal Skating & Falling experiences, and the "why" for most of my recommendations for your personal Skating safety.

SO, Pad up, do your stretching exercises, put in your Ear Plugs and get Back out there - but Please do it as Safely as you can ! Then perhaps you too, can Skate into your 60's, 70's and beyond !!

Harold
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Check the Floor like an Army Drill

Hi ALL,

Still waiting for others to add.. And Thanks Harold, Great Post.

One of the things I have learned to do is kind of related to the Army when we did pick up ground routines during basic. Arm to Arm length and then you covered the grounds to pick up anything out of place.

Basically you skate the entire floor slowly usually with a front scissors pattern that is close to the Derby scissors stop, yet anything will work. You start from the edges and slowly go around the floor till you hit the center on several sweeps. You cover the entire floor by yourself so that you know it's condition.

You find gum wads, plastics, papers, wrappers, candies, necklaces, stones, etc. Every rink does a different job of management and floor cleaning before session. Right NOW my one rink is NOT doing GOOD at all, yet did do good for years. And I have seen several rinks that do far worse.

SO, this is a technique that can be used by an older or come back skater to make sure the floor is as safe as possible.

P.S. Again left more ideas for how to skate safely a_waiting.
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Skatervideoguy

Hi MA/NY Skating Dave,

Quote:
Basically you skate the entire floor slowly usually with a front scissors pattern that is close to the Derby scissors stop, yet anything will work. You start from the edges and slowly go around the floor till you hit the center on several sweeps. You cover the entire floor by yourself so that you know it's condition.

You find gum wads, plastics, papers, wrappers, candies, necklaces, stones, etc.
I've been doing this every Skate Session I've attended since I began taking Skating seriously (about 1960). It's just Crazy/Dumb how poorly many Rinks take care of their Skate Floor - The very Basis of the Sport.

Accidents and Injuries just waiting to happen - and so they do. Add in the Lower Lighting many Rinks now use, and *******

Harold
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #5
princessfluffhead

Some good advice for sure. When I first came back I didn't want to wear protective gear. It's a good idea to wear some until you get your legs back under you. It is a miracle I didn't break anything early on in my return to skating. Today I still always wear wrist guards. Also volleyball pads if I am attending a session with lots of kids. I carry full gear derby in my bag so that I can assess the risk when I get there and protect myself accordingly.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

All good advice. I have also found the following to be true...at least for me:
1)Diet matters. If I eat crappy, I skate crappy. I try to eat whole foods before skating.
2) Warm up. I warm up for about 5 minutes when I first get on the floor. That is I skate at about 70-80 percent focusing on taking slow purposeful strokes.
3) Stretch. I stretch after my warm up ( I can do this while on rolling on skates) but you could also hit the carpet for a few minutes to get it done.
4) Check your gear. I check it before getting on the floor then after warm up and again throughout the session. It's all fun and games until your toestop falls out or you crash and burn because the action on your trucks has loosened up since the last time you rolled them.
5) Wear protective gear. I wear wrist guards during normal session and add elbow and knee pads for outdoor rolling and for little kid day at the rink.
6) Take it slow and skate often. As I get older, I notice that it takes me a little longer to hit my peak performance during session. I have also noticed that if I miss a week of skating it takes me longer to get back my endurance. I'm good for 2-3 sessions a week and 1 outdoor skate a week.
7) Never give up. Those teenagers may bend like Gumby, but we get better rates on our car insurance
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Skatervideoguy

Hi Fancy-Kerrigan,

Quote:
I have also found the following to be true...at least for me:
1)Diet matters. If I eat crappy, I skate crappy. I try to eat whole foods before skating.
2) Warm up. I warm up for about 5 minutes when I first get on the floor. That is I skate at about 70-80 percent focusing on taking slow purposeful strokes.
3) Stretch. I stretch after my warm up ( I can do this while on rolling on skates) but you could also hit the carpet for a few minutes to get it done.
4) Check your gear. I check it before getting on the floor then after warm up and again throughout the session. It's all fun and games until your toestop falls out or you crash and burn because the action on your trucks has loosened up since the last time you rolled them.
5) Wear protective gear. I wear wrist guards during normal session and add elbow and knee pads for outdoor rolling and for little kid day at the rink.
6) Take it slow and skate often. As I get older, I notice that it takes me a little longer to hit my peak performance during session. I have also noticed that if I miss a week of skating it takes me longer to get back my endurance. I'm good for 2-3 sessions a week and 1 outdoor skate a week.
7) Never give up. Those teenagers may bend like Gumby, but we get better rates on our car insurance
All excellent Points you bring out. The first 5 I've been doing for decades, and has saved my Butt countless times.

As to 6 & 7, At about 64 or so, I found I had major difficulty trying to Skate two sessions back to back. Got way too sore and tired. I simply need a day in between session these days to recoup.

This is due to the number of elements I attempt to get in each session - I can't seem to "take it easy" when I Skate. Just Love to keep moving to the Music, and doing the variety of moves that I can still manage to do.

Harold
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi Fancy-Kerrigan,

All excellent Points you bring out. The first 5 I've been doing for decades, and has saved my Butt countless times.

As to 6 & 7, At about 64 or so, I found I had major difficulty trying to Skate two sessions back to back. Got way too sore and tired. I simply need a day in between session these days to recoup.

This is due to the number of elements I attempt to get in each session - I can't seem to "take it easy" when I Skate. Just Love to keep moving to the Music, and doing the variety of moves that I can still manage to do.

Harold
I'm the same way, can't just skate in a circle like normal people. By the time I leave I'm totally exhausted, but totally happy. I usually hit Wednesday night and Sunday night sessions. And when it's not raining outside skate for an hour on Saturday morning. I've been adding in Thursday night adult night to the mix. I'm still a little sore from Wednesday, but the pulse of an entire rink that knows how to skate gives me the energy to skate my heart out. 64 and still busting a move, color me inspired!
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Talk to the SkateGuards, The Managers

Hi All,

Thanks Nancy and Harold, , princess,

As an older skater you have to know you don't make the rules on the Skate Floor. The management has hired usually {young kids that can half_way skate to be Floor Guards. It is through these young guys and gals that you must take care of dangerous things on the floor and dangerous people on the skate floor. Strive to be friendly.

Again, you better understand that you are NOT the BOSS, just because you are older. Even if you may have been "Hot to Handle" when young.

As an aside a Great NewEngland Adult Skater named Steve got kicked out of Skateland by Marc because he was nasty and challenging to Marc's skateguard. Now I don't agree with the way Marc handled it when he tried to come back in, yet it is an example of what can happen. Got many others.

SO - SO, Talk to them, find out their names and chat a bit. Not a lot since you came to skate, yet just enough to know that you care and you know they exist.

P.S. Still other ideas are out here for ComeBack or Older Skaters
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
princessfluffhead

This is a valid point. It's always good to be friendly and known to the management and skate guards. It has served me well many times. Where Fancy and I skate the staff know we care about what's going on and are mindful of their rules. That being said, because we are nice to them let us slide on occasion when our kids start horsing around because they know we take safety seriously and police our own children and do not have to be micromanaged. They seem to recognize that when we report things we are not doing it to be pains in the butt, but because we are looking out for safety.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #11
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

So true, just because we are older and can skate better than most floor guards doesn't make us immune to the system they have in place.
I've always tried to do and be like Fancy and Princess do at their rink, help out some, get to know the management. For me, as Fancy and some other of my friends have recently found out, admission is on the house for some of that very reason, along with the distance I have to drive to get to the rink.
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12
xplorr94248
xplorr94248

Default Skates are rebuilt Now the stuff begins

Don't know if I'm going to ware all the safety gear... I don't remember falling much before and I really don't worry about the kids so much.. I am, however, concerned about how well the floors are kept... Trash, stuff fallen out of pockets, HAIR, dirt etc on the floor. When I was in my 30's and skating I knew the kids that were rink guards and the owner of the rink... They knew me as well... I don't expect to be going out on the floor and trying to be 30 again... Name of the game is to get the heart rate up and sustain it for say 10 - 15 min at a time... Rest a bit and get it up again gradually extending the period of exercise and shorting the period of rest... I don't know the rink too well but it is not well maintained and I am informed that the owners don't care to. I would rather have the rink there than no rink at all... If I find I need safety gear I will get it... but I really don't think that will be necessary.. If I fall And break an arm ..I'll just get up and keep skating.. If I fall and break a leg I'll figure a way to skate on one foot. If I break my tailbone... It will kind of match the rest of me...And I'll be half fast,,,, My intention is to be careful until legs and mind match the rink and conditions... A champion sold me a pair of wheels that he used to use in competition.. Nothing wrong but the club now skates on a newer different kind of wheel.. So for the price of the cheapest wheels for dance or figure skaters I've got 2 sets of wheels used to win dance pairs skating... Maybe a bit of good stuff will rub off on me... But I'm planning to be safe and careful and alert and live another 3 to 100 years more.... considering I was supposed to be dead in 2010.

All good advise given and thanks I will consider it all and use as required. I've been the oldest on the rink in several places and kids seem to respect people who show them respect... All I have to do is get my legs back and trucks adjusted the way I skate... Arthriticly..LOL
Ray
xplorr94248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #13
buddig

When I bought these skates in the summer and started to skate, I was lucky, that the protection things was included.
If not, I never had known something about these, and therefore not will buy it.

The first day I tried to run, I fell hard, and without the wrist protection I could have broken my wrist.

When I skate, I always wear a bike helmet and all the protections.
I also bought a pair of padded shorts, that I wear under my jeans or my shorts.

I expect, that I still will wear all of it in the future, when I will be a better skater, because I vill skate faster and do wilder things.
// Henning
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #14
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Adapt To Your Rink/Since it Might be ALL you Got

Hi Ray,

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorr94248 View Post
o -o . I don't know the rink too well but it is not well maintained and I am informed that the owners don't care to. I would rather have the rink there than no rink at all.:
Well my title of this post agrees with you. I currently skate in two well maintained rinks up here in NewEngland (RollOnAmerica and Skateland); before that Granite Skate and another in NH over by the coast}. Yet I have skated in some really poor rinks with floors torn apart in other states.

Yet A Rink is better than No Rink, unless you go someplace great outdoors. And being in those NC hills, winter is pretty hard to skate outdoors.

So Learn to Adapt to Watch the Floors, the management, the kids, the lack of discipline, and ALL. BTW a place like this is very difficult for a come back older skater. And Don't go on a Teen Night.

Old December 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default NO Falls TILL Ready for Falls when Older..

Well our older buddy Ray,
probably younger than me 65 and Harold 66
and maybe Armadillo and DocSk8 both in their 60s
and a former InLine Buddy of mine 79, plus more

Thinks he can fall and take no consequences, cause his mind is still 30. If you read his verbiage falls are Just Simple stuff since his mind is at the last point he or she skated. He still does not understand Falls.

This is Quite Normal We are Invincible, till we are NOT.

Padding up like Harold and princess noted, or even as I noted with my wrist guards is a necessity if you want to be reckless.

One Fall of any consequence and Skating could be GONE from your life. You don't heal like a 16 yr old with oozing new skin and membranes. And rebuild with professional or personal PT takes lots of time. Plus you pay other life consequences.

So Do You, a Former Lover of Skating want to be that Reckless with something you have Loved and want to Love Again..

At the End of the ReLearn Tunnel You once again can be ready for Falls. Yet you got to work to get to the point that you fall like a kid, and kids admire your falls.

If you have the chance watch Derby Fresh Meat Training and the gear they wear.

Old December 20th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Skatervideoguy

Hey

Quote:
probably younger than me 65 and Harold 66
Make that 67 and Proud to still be Skatin !!

Harold
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:35 AM   #17
xplorr94248
xplorr94248

Default I'm also 67... and I guess I'm proud to be alive

At 45 I fell off the roof bent the ladder and bruised my butt... Got back up and lived with the bruise that lasted almost 8 months... traveling from my butt down my thigh past my knee to my calf and finally to my ankle and foot. My first bypass I was awake and ready to go in 1.5 hours... awake but on a ventilator....Law here... or was... I know I can fall and possibly break something but by the same token don't think I'll be comfortable with all the gear on... Maybe I'll change my mind if or when I fall. I was supposed to be dead 2010 after 2008 heart attack and then in 2011 I had another... Make that 16 to date which started on a Friday and went to the hospital on Mon around noon... Hospitals are no place to rest.... I'm not immortal nor fool-harty I just want to live a bit longer and maybe skating is a means to that end. What's a few bones to life itself.

Ray

67 is not so old as I thought it would be but not as easy as it is... We have to live the way we live and see where we go from there.
xplorr94248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:44 AM   #18
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default What's Been Covered

Hi Again,

Well Let's see We have had a tad of advice on the following.
1) Personal Protection Devices
Me, Harold, princesspuff, FancyK
^ Each a great skater
2) Personal Management/Cleaning of your Skate Floors
Me, Harold BTW I have done this Outdoors as well.
3) Diet
FancyK, BTW lots of treads on that stuff. And Super Excellent
4) Warm Up Stuff
Fancy K
5) Relationships with SkateGuards and Management/Owners

Old December 21st, 2013, 05:01 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Socks, Lacing / The Feet

As a ComeBack Skater,

You might not know the best for selecting socks, lacing up your boots, or how a boot should fit like a "Second Skin" to your foot.

Socks: When I was a kid skater I wore these big thick socks and I still have them from the 1960s. Pretty stupid yet hey I was a kid. Many people start with thinking, thick socks give you some cushion. Well it is thin socks or special socks like EasyFit boots that reduces pressure points. Some even wear Ice Skating Nylon or Silk socks. The idea is you want a sock that fits and has no place for pressure. It is like a second skin. I wear child's size soccer socks till I stretch them out too much.

Lacings: We have a lot of good treads on lacings. Most of them are under Derby treads and posts. To lace your boot correctly and then to adjust it to the optimum is something you must do till you get it right for each session. To reduce how much you pressure the foot, and to pressure the foot just right. I remember one mom who bitched at her son, yet she had tied his laces too too tight. Anyway the foot is important and you want the pressure on the foot just perfect...

Old December 21st, 2013, 05:09 AM   #20
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Off Skating Exercises

Hi ALL,

Well I started the title yet want to let someone else chime in. Now I do notice an inbalance between the Quads and the Hams unless you treat them to Off Skate exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadriceps_femoris_muscle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstring