S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 19th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #1
kaydo

Question Off-Road Skates

Has anyone tried any of the off-road equipment out there?

I'm looking at some second hand Rollerblade Coyotes but can't find a many reviews of this. Also looking at gateskate, landrollers etc. Has anyone tried any of these out? Any thoughts on how the action compares to standard skating and holds up on differing terrain?

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 19th, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
kaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Clemens

Hi Kaydo,

there is another thread "Powerslide Cross Trainer" which puts a similar question - and also there is no answer, also not to my question about the skike "www.skike.at"

There are two main differences between these two products:
1. The Powerslide Nordic Trainer has its own boot, the skike can be used with any sport shoes.
2. The Skike can be breaked by leaning backwards/pushing the feet forward (similar to Rollerblade's ABT system). Breaks are mounted at both legs.
With the Powerslide Cross Trainer you have to press down with your Nordic sticks a break above the front wheel (which sounds completely unusable to me for emergency stops and bumpy tracks).

From what I read in the web, off-roading is only possible together with Nordic sticks (except downhill). And it's not equipment for real off-roading, but more for unpaved paths.

You also mentioned the Landrollers (www.landroller.com). I tried these last year indoor at a big sports fair, they are definitely not made for off-road. This product anyway never made it to the market since then - at least not in Europe, as far as I know.

Best regards
Clemens

PS There is a test of the Powerslide product announced for the October edition of the biggest skate magazine in Germany, but I am not sure how independent this test will be.
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #3
Rachelle

Default out door skating

hello all . I skate outside on my quads but never liked the outdoor wheels. picked up a pair of blades & put the wheels on my quads works great 4 me .
Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #4
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle View Post
hello all . I skate outside on my quads but never liked the outdoor wheels. picked up a pair of blades & put the wheels on my quads works great 4 me .
now thats an interesting concept of putting blade skates on quads, i use to also use indoor wheels outside, the softer ones though.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Clemens

Default Skike

Hello,

I now tried a pair of Skikes. I put them to the test on unpaved paths through a nearby park and on a path on a dam along the river here. I was surprised how well this worked, even without using the Nordic sticks I had with me. Especially with the sticks it was pure fun from the first step on.
The type of movement with Skikes and Nordic sticks is like cross country skiing in the skating style. The difference for me was: Skating on cross country skies was pushing my hear rates up to the sky within some minutes every time I tried it. Skiking insteasd allowed me to stay in a reasonable heart rate zone for a long time.
The weight of the Skike was not annoying, although it is almost 2kg per foot.
Small stones on the path were no problem, the ride was very comfortable.
What definitely was not possible was to use it on slightly wet meadow. The ground was too soft there for this wheel size (15cms diameter). I got almost stuck.
The Skikes have the best breaking system on skates I ever have used: A upside-down-V-shaped piece of metal goes down on the rear wheel, when you put one of your feet forward (the system is mounted on both the right and the left skike). Very simple, very effective, very well usable.
I am pretty sure to buy a pair of Skikes, because they allow me to get rid of the paved-roads-limitiation of usual skates. If I do so, I will show some pictures and report more details.

Best regards
Clemens
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #6
badnews

I've got a pair of Landrollers that I just got, but I haven't tried them yet except for a quick spin around the block. I got them because the ad said they attract women faster than a puppy ...and they aren't "off road" skates. They're designed for semi-ugly terrain such as cracks, twigs, larger pebbles, etc.

I wear a size 9 and ordered them in a size 9 and I wish I would have ordered a 9.5 but if I'm butch enough to break in boon dockers, I can break in some wimpy skate boots.

Plus, they're having a sale on 'em. I just can't pass up a sale no matter what it is and how little I need it.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #7
badnews

How about these bad boys?

Big Foot $350.00

Old October 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #8
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Actually, there's a picture of Kathie (I think the show a picture of yourself thread) where she's wearing off-road skates, eh?
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #9
drcrumble

I think that the landroller design is the only one currently available that could provide the feel of an inline skate on rough surfaces. Unfortunately, they've been slow about releasing their pneumatic rubber wheels, which is what they really need to be a viable option. Here's an email I received recently after inquiring about the pneumatic wheels.

Quote:
We are still developing a pneumatic tire that will be able to take
LandRoller skaters off-road. We have not determined an estimated release
date but I would suggest that you check our website periodically for any
announcements or updates concerning our pneumatic tire model. Thanks and
have a great day!
They're giving me some serious blue balls. I've been wanting a skate that could go on mountain bike trails and feel like a skate (not a ski) ever since I first got into skating.
drcrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Ascottpres

This site has some unbelievable off road skates...full suspension, pnuematic MBS Tires...Risse Genesis Air Shocks. Pulley cable brakes...A bit pricey but if you want the best...Click on Videos For a blog experience...
Scott
PS -
These feel more like skis than unstable Ice Skates...Very stable...Slalom Turning Radius. Off Road Skates have a Super G and downhill turning radius.
The Hybrid Off Road and Street Frames are genius...A combination of downhill and aggressive in a fitness and speedster...100mm wheels and a full inch of travel.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; February 16th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Ascottpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascottpres View Post
This site has some unbelievable off road skates...full suspension, pnuematic MBS Tires...Risse Genesis Air Shocks. Pulley cable brakes...A bit pricey but if you want the best...Click on Videos For a blog experience...
Scott
PS -
These feel more like skis than unstable Ice Skates...Very stable...Slalom Turning Radius. Off Road Skates have a Super G and downhill turning radius.
The Hybrid Off Road and Street Frames are genius...A combination of downhill and aggressive in a fitness and speedster...100mm wheels and a full inch of travel.

wow pretty cool skates and air in the wheels no less,,,,,never thought i would see that. enjoy

Rick

Last edited by Kathie Fry; February 16th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #12
terrablader

Default and

I have been researching and making off road skates. This is the rundown.

first here is a short clip of using my off road skates in various ways to show that that do work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orywyJEh_Q0

1998 a bunch of attempts where made. The public did not embrace the sport, being kind of a cross over sport, you needed certain conditions to make them work, and you need to be a good skater. Also the market weak for skating already was moving more to ramps and such. But still there is a hard core bunch that wants to do what a mountainbiker does but on skates. Mountainboards have proven to many there are other ways to get down the mountain, and this has opened people's eyes again to off road skating. Also kite boarding and kite surfing has gone mainstream and that has created nice traction kites for skating too.

If you want a hard core downhill experience with lots of float I am designing an off road skate that uses ski boots. See my site www.terrablades.com lots of movies of them in action on some tough courses.

4 off road tires on each skate 200x50mm (7.5 inch x 2 inch)
2 Shimano Vbrakes on each skate.
Tough Bomber Made Bindings.
Light aluminum frame about 1.5 pounds.

Off road skates have one major obstacle. You need some form of propulsion. This means you need a hill, a kite, or a motor. I have been using all three. Off-Road skating is really possible and fun. You need strong skating background and some skiing background helps too. Strong legs, decent body armor.

This is my take on the skates out there.

Rollerblade Coyote: Best ever made but had some major problems. wheels too narrow, and wheel base was too short. Basically they tried to make them for regular skating too which was a mistake.

Cross Skates: Interesting design lots of potential but in the end too many moving parts. Yet still great for certain applications.

Royces: forget it junk

Quad Skates (Big Foots): Similar off road potential as Land Rollers limit use, look fun for tooling around, good for fitness and grass but thats about it.

Land Rollers: good for flat packed surface, and not really an off road skate at all.

AllterrraSkate: (shown above) shock has lots of potential for off road, Looking very good for off road work.

Carvel Skate: in development similar to above. no shock but back wheel turns

GateSkate: Great skate for flat trail fitness, maybe some jumping because its light. Not much ankle support, not a carving skate, won't turn easy due to two wheels, one of the best off road skates made to date.

Terrablades: what I am working on. Ability to float over most anything, and the ability to turn being a true 4 wheel skate with lots of rocking. Lots of gear using ski boots, a bit high up which makes for harder falls. Strong braking power. The feeling of skiing as much as skating.

Grass skis (Rollka, Esam, SpeedyJack) 45 miles per hour on grass no problem. But you need grass

Wheels of Doom. Nice kite skate. For kiting.

Ranger Skate: for kiting really.

20 or so X-Country trainers that can work nice for smooth packed surfaces but its going to feel like cross country.

Also I got a fairly long post about a week ago below.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=964

Look into ways to get around on them as well. how do you want to use them?

Do you want to just cross country on flats? Ski down slopes in the summer? Look into rollercycle, easy-glider, skatescooter, etc, or ask me about a custom powerhouse.

and kiteskating if you like speed and don't have a lift up the mountain.

This is my solution for using off road skates on a daily basis. 20 mph on trails no problem. 35 mph on roads no problem. 15mph going up steep hills. 0-20 mph in 2 seconds flat. 15hp Etek motor 15,000 Watt motor verses 800 watt scooter motors. Light, turns, has shocks, disc brake, will stop on a dime, you can lean back on it and cheat, pushes from behind you don't even notice it.

Last word an off road skate should be something you would trust your life on on a steep, single track, overlooking a cliff, they should turn, edge, have lots of support, be durable. Not a novelty, a toy, an excuse. Should be full on, full throttle keep up almost with Mountainboards, and somewhat with mountainbikes. Nothing that applies to skating or skiing needs to apply since its a different activity. Things like light weight, low cuff boot, long strides.., forget it, think use of ski poles, technical turns, jump turns, sucking up bumps, powered devices, protective gear. All this is different, it takes time to learn, it is a next step for skating.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=terrablader"]Click for Youtube videos[/URL]

Last edited by terrablader; November 27th, 2006 at 07:34 PM.
terrablader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #13
Quick209

Default Skiking

I actually own some Skikes. Bought them when I saw a couple of YouTube videos. Of course we have no Skike trainers in America yet so I learned all by videos. I love them. I am not limited by road conditions unless it is think sand or mud..any soft ground. I have been excercising on them at my local park climbing this 2.8mil 5%-10% grade hill. It is a great workout and after learning on something like that, I zoom on flat surfaces and offroad. I have pictures of me climbing that hill in the "Show Picture of Yourself" thread. I liked the fact I passed up some speed skaters one day while just skiking around but the road was really rough for them. Me? I felt nothing so kept zooming along hehe. Yes, I use the poles too. It is possible but not really a treat without them.
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #14
chiu

Default skike in wet conditions

Hi! I like the idea of skating in any conditions to work, and here in Birmingham UK it's nearly always wet or about to rain. This cuts out a lot of the "normal" skates as cleaning out the bearings everyday is way to troublesome.

2 questions, how much maintenance do you need with skike?

and can you buy them in the UK??

okay three questions,

how hard is it going uphill?

thanks!
chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

They always show how much fun things are, going down hill don't they. (Like them new stand up trikes, from a few years back.) the Rollerblade coyote gave off roading a try. We had to try them. We tried every combination of wheels on them, but the weight was just killer. And the added height, made ankle leverage up to dangerous levels. (like them slanted wheeled things) We traded them for a sectional couch. good luck inventors of the World. the simple solution we have used for Years, is to put a wheel on a weed eater, and use it like you would a canoe ore, pressing it down behind you. They look at you funny, when ya buzz into the bar. There are many things that have not been manufactured. Most, for a good reason. --One secret to business profits, is to supply a need. One road to financial ruin, is trying to create one. --I lost my shirt more than once, on great ideas.
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM   #16
chiu

Default so what would you recommend?

for the rough roads and rain?

powerslide nordic?

skike?

another inline skate?

a bike? hahahaahahah! (that's what I'm on at the moment)
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:17 AM   #17
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiu View Post
for the rough roads and rain?
powerslide nordic?
skike?
another inline skate?

a bike? hahahaahahah! (that's what I'm on at the moment)
So does that mean, "you're texting while riding a bike right now"?
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #18
Quick209

Skikes and Powerslide Nordic Trainers I put almost in the same category except skikes you can wear your own shoes and the Powerslides you have to wear like a skate because it has its own boot. Skikes have 2 breaks that are attached to the calf support. When you lean back on either skike it engages on the rear wheel. You can also engage both at the same time which increases stopping. Skikes works in the dry and wet weather although braking is a little trickier since you can lock up your wheels. I did some cool skids on wet roads before. Because the wheels are not urethane but like tire rubber with tubes (same with the Powerslides) you have some resistance but lots of traction. It is possible to ride both without poles but I can tell you I do not recommend it as it is hard work.

Powerslides breaks operate with you leaning forward on the brake skate. I am in the US and have to special order them so waiting for the supplier here to get me a quote so I can order. Those I cannot tell you too much at how they feel except from what I hear from other people that once you wear them Skikes will begin to feel loose fitting. I want them because you are able to do a bit more stunts on them because of the brake system not getting in the way and they are flashy looking hehe.

I understand Skikes are not everywhere. The Powerslides are in Demark I think natively but most likely are available more in the UK than in the states so special ordering might not be necessary. i gotta special order and I wear size 13 so most of the time I have to special order my skates anyway.

Uphill....
have you cross country skied before? Uphill is like that. You kinda let gravity carry your leg stride while you actually climb with either arm. Basically you V1 it or do diagonals. I cannot say nor compare hill climbing on skikes and Nordic Trainers to poly inlines just because it depends on your conditioning. If you are an inline conditioned skater then the idea of pulling yourself up with your arms and legs seems wierd while to me it feels natural now and easier when the grade is big than it would be on inlines. That is because over time of Skiking my upper body has gotten conditioned to poling. Of course you can use poles with inlines (Nordic Blading) and have a little easier time climbing hills too.

Here is a video of someone demonstrating the technique you would use on hills. 2:1 also called in skiing V1 upright I believe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t54qCG7nqsg

I can say skikes are useful in all seasons so would be good if you want to use them to year round. The technique though is like cross country skiing/ski skating. Your heel doesn't leave the skate so classic x-country is best not done unless you get a Powerslide with that accessory.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #19
oldiesk8er

Has this thread really had over 50,000 views?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #20
chiu

gem - No texting, just tapping a keyboard at work - I don't even own a mobile?

Quick209 - Thanks! There's some really helpful information in your reply.

I used to skate 20 or so years back (street hockey for a team called the Sudan Lions at Elephant & Castle), and so my muscles now are not used to either skating or skiing - I actually train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and before that Judo - I like the idea that I could get a strong up and lower body workout with the skike.

looking at the skike videos on youtube though, nearly all of these are on country roads or trails - do you think skikes are suitable for busy urban city areas?