S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM   #1
fierocious1

Default Houston skaters

There is getting to be a small group of skaters of various ages that go to Champions Roller Rink. It is getting to be a cool thing as we all skate and have a good time there. The place is clean, has a nice floor, great sound system and good management too. So if you like to skate and have a good time this is the place. Our small group is usually hanging around on Sunday afternoon's sessions.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Sk8fever

I'm doing some recruiting this week. I may have another go at Champions with a girlfriend next Sunday, 5/16 since this Sunday is Mother's Day.
Sk8fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Hanger18

Oops, forgot that this Sunday is mothers day. Will try to talk the wife into it anyway.. lol. Will be heading over there tomorrow night as we have baby sitter confirmation.. woo hoo!
Hanger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
fierocious1

Great! Hope you and your friend make it again. I'll be there as always on Sunday. Going again today. All you mothers out there have a Hapyy Mothers Day!
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #5
fierocious1

Default Rink was closed!!! Grrrrr

So I went to DARR. Floor is definitely smaller,but not too small. For some reason I found it to be slower by a bunch with the AJs on today. Not many people there today. Sound system was good, place looked good inside. They said the floor was going to be recoated in 2 weeks. Don't know if it will cure the slowness though. Over all it is a good place to skate(they let me speed LOL). I need to do a skating rink score card on all the rinks in Houston.
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Sk8fever

Aww, and I missed it at DARR today. You should have been there Thurs.. only about 30 people there, the place was rockin' to the oldies and lots of people were roller dancing, including me! I think they are changing their Thurs nite format from 70's & 80's, but not if I can help it. One guy there had his iPod playing lots of good dance tunes and the whole place was into it.

Good to know about the re-coating. I'll keep an eye out for closures. Also, during Summer, the public hours will change.
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #7
fierocious1

Sorry I missed you there. It was not crowded at all. About 20 skaters in all. Not very many kids either. There was less kiddie music(teenie) than Champions for sure. They played some old rock too. Only saw maybe 5 kids with the skate helpers. Met a guy there that does some footwork in the middle of the floor. He skates 2 times a week mostly. I got the floor to carpet thing workin good too!
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #8
johnnymission

Default I Should Have Warned You Champions Would Be Closed on Mother's Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
So I went to DARR. Floor is definitely smaller,but not too small. For some reason I found it to be slower by a bunch with the AJs on today. Not many people there today. Sound system was good, place looked good inside. They said the floor was going to be recoated in 2 weeks. Don't know if it will cure the slowness though. Over all it is a good place to skate(they let me speed LOL). I need to do a skating rink score card on all the rinks in Houston.
Denise and I skated at Champions all day Saturday where they had a sign posted about being closed on Sunday. I made a mental note to warn you just in case you didn't know, but somehow that note didn't stick. Sorry, I could have saved you some grief. And, speaking of grief, Denise went down twice, no proximity mines involved, she took herself out, both times, trying to get more outside edge on her inside skate on crossovers. No pain no gain. Saturday's first shift was empty, second shift was about normal. One never knows what those parents will do. See you Sunday, if not before.
johnnymission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #9
fierocious1

Good to see you here John. Well Saturday was when I should have came out then but I have to work, yuk. Hope Denise is OK, and not too bruised up. Hardly any mines at Darr, it must have been a slow day there Sunday.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Hanger18

Quote:
Good to see you here John. Well Saturday was when I should have came out then but I have to work, yuk. Hope Denise is OK, and not too bruised up. Hardly any mines at Darr, it must have been a slow day there Sunday.
So is the floor better at Darr? I found it to be exhausting when M and I skated there. Fewer kidmines for sure but still a poor substitute for the maple. Not sure if we will be going this Thurs as I may have to work. boo.. Also have cub scout thing on Sunday so its probably out too..

John - I hope Denise is ok.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
fierocious1

I don't know what it is about the floor. It is definitely a slower floor. It absorbs your speed and energy. I think the floor is softer than the maple. It is smoother like skating on soft wheels. I'll be back at Champions Sunday with extra wheels for you to try out. See you then.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Sk8fever

Hmmm. Could it be that it felt slower because there were some faster skaters there at DARR than Champions? (Just kidding)
I find it faster because there are no sharp imperfections (which I can feel very well where the seams are) as on a wood floor. There are a couple of spots at Champ that are a little warpy. Could be my wheels. Mine definitely go faster on the coated concrete, but I'm never the fast one anyplace!
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #13
fierocious1

I should have showed you where the best smoothest spots were. If you stay close to the center and run short on the floor or early on the turns you run through the rough stuff on the video end. If you run further down the floor you avoid it completely. Other than that you can draft off of us we run the smoothest part of the floor... Nothing wrong with your wheels, I can assure you. Your wheels probably work much better on Darr because of their hardness. Pretty soon you'll be up to speed with us after we convert you to speed wheels........
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #14
Hanger18

Quote:
I don't know what it is about the floor. It is definitely a slower floor. It absorbs your speed and energy. I think the floor is softer than the maple. It is smoother like skating on soft wheels. I'll be back at Champions Sunday with extra wheels for you to try out. See you then.
I will probably only be able to do the Thursday night session this week as we have a cub scout event on Sunday. Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Sk8fever

Default Dairy Ashford Closure June 6-7 2010

Hi Fellow Houston area skaters...
I found out the dates for re-coating the floor at Dairy Ashford so you won't show up and be disappointed. Looks like I won't be at Champions tomorrow. Might try Bear Creek, though.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #16
fierocious1

Aww...
I went to bear creek a while back. The floor was wavy and had holes in it, so be careful if you haven't been there before. It has been a while for me though. It was bad enough at the time, that I skated about 30 minutes and left. The traction may have changed, but removing waves and holes from cement would have to be nearly impossible. I went to another rink that was not too far away, and have not been able to find it again. It must have gone out of business. It had a similar cement floor, but was much smoother and had traction too.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #17
Sk8fever

Default I survived Bear Creek!

Well, THAT was one weird floor at Bear Creek! Floor is about 2 years old, was previously a coated concrete, but now it's some kind of blue plastic tile, and VERY bumpy! No "damage" holes, but the tiles are perforated and warpy. It was exhausting and slow. I lasted 3 hrs with a few long breaks, but it was definitely hard on my ol' body. I met a few skaters there who I know from DARR, so that made it worth the trip. The rest of the rink is great... nice management, clean, good music, but LOTS of kiddos and parties today. Good thing was they called the kids over for birthday party treats all at the same time so that cleared the floor for awhile. It's a good place to practice footwork/dance moves, but definitely not for speed, unless you want to call it "resistance training."
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fever View Post
Well, THAT was one weird floor at Bear Creek! Floor is about 2 years old, was previously a coated concrete, but now it's some kind of blue plastic tile, and VERY bumpy! No "damage" holes, but the tiles are perforated and warpy. It was exhausting and slow. I lasted 3 hrs with a few long breaks, but it was definitely hard on my ol' body. I met a few skaters there who I know from DARR, so that made it worth the trip. The rest of the rink is great... nice management, clean, good music, but LOTS of kiddos and parties today. Good thing was they called the kids over for birthday party treats all at the same time so that cleared the floor for awhile. It's a good place to practice footwork/dance moves, but definitely not for speed, unless you want to call it "resistance training."
Wow, they must have changed the floor after I was there. I won't be going there. I like skating with ease. Thanks for the heads up. I don't know why the owners of rinks can't get it together. If someone has a hard time at a rink, do you think repeat business is in order? Not for me. Bad floors mean loss of business unless all the floors in town were bad. I like a good smooth floor that has grip and good roll, not one that runs me out of the rink exhausted before 2 to 3 hours. I pass lots of rinks that I could skate on to go to a good one. I like skating!
Champions skate report.....lol
Met a guy from cali there today. He was dancing out there pretty good. Had Roll Line Navigators and.....good setup and he definitely knew how to use them. Nice guy. Lots of kids there today, but it thinned out during second session. A couple of near misses, but no falls today. Saw John and Denise there. James and little James were also there. Little James got a job working at the rink. These new wheels are wearing out my feet! No slipping though. Grooves are getting deeper in the sides of my boots! Good stuff.
Michelle and Chis were not there today. Hope ya'll had a good time, we missed ya'll.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #19
Sk8fever

Glad you had a good day, Fierocious. One of these days I'll be back to join you. Since the next farthest "good" rink is Champions, Bear Creek makes it seem worth the hour drive. As for loss of business, they are definitely not in trouble there. I'm sure there were 300 people there today. Those poor kids don't know what a nice floor is, and they seem perfectly happy there. I really feel sorry for the beginner adults who may be turned off of skating because of that floor! Looking forward to Thurs at DARR now, and the good ol' smoothie floor. I hope the new one is even better.
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #20
fierocious1

You are right, I think it would be a turn off for any grown ups to try to learn to skate on a soft floor like that. The kids don't know much difference either way. Really good rinks are getting to be far and few between. I know that before I figured out what was wrong with my inline wheels(being too soft) I almost gave up on inline skating. It was like skating in sand, really a lot of work. A floor like that is just as discouraging to learn on, especially if you are new to skating or have not been on skates for many years. Most people really don't know much about skates, so they suffer the consequences of not knowing and quit or have a long hard time if they are persistent.
Have a good time on your new floor. Waiting on a report....