S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #21
chiu

Quick 209 -

FYI - This site in the UK are selling both, and I've emailed them to see what they think. I'll let you know what they say when they reply

http://www.rollerskiing.co.uk/catalo...erslide+Nordic

http://www.rollerskiing.co.uk/catalo...ry=Skis-+Skike
chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM   #22
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiu View Post
do you think skikes are suitable for busy urban city areas?
No. Way too long and glitchy.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM   #23
Quick209

They are not bad for urban seeing bad pavement and stuff doesn't effect them but like the previous posts says, they are long so street crossing at lights is a chore if you are not used to them yet. of course I remember having issues at lighted crosswalks too when I first started out on inlines a long time ago. I don't know what glitchy is but the long is true. They are not astronomically long but if you remember skating then you will notice a difference stepping off a curb onto a cross walk on SKikes vs inlines is different due to curb clearance. On inlines you can walk up onto curb perpendicularly while on skikes you have to be approaching parallel or have some good speed to jump onto it or stop completely and step up. The skike and Powerslide Nordic Trainers are too long to just step up at any roll perpendicular to the curb. I can say this much though, if you are using the bike lane I think they are better but only cause of the poles. A stride via a skike or inline takes up a wide area. If your bike lane is small, your stride could be in the path of traffic. In bike lanes I stride while polling but switch to double pushing with no stride when traffic is coming by. I know this will start some talk like the helmet discussion will about the chances of a car taking one of your legs out in a bike lane is slim and what not but not only have I read somewhere about it being done but also on www.webskis.com in the blog section one of the guys recommend when roller skiing to not stride when traffic is passing while you are in the bike lane because cars cannot see your foot stride, just you skating. When people are around me is easier to double pole so not to worry about my skikes kicking anyone and one again terrain does not trip me up as easily.

So, downside is just you holding poles and the skike lenght but depending on how busy you are talking about it could actually be an advantage on skikes because higher speed not needed for rough terrain to be stable and stuff.

Back to glitchy comment...what do you mean glitchy? I understand length hehe.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM   #24
earlofsnider

Default Skike reflection

I agree with the offroad limitations. Have had great success on very hard packed trails. My principal attraction was the ease on less than perfect asphalt for regular inlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
Hello,

I now tried a pair of Skikes. I put them to the test on unpaved paths through a nearby park and on a path on a dam along the river here. I was surprised how well this worked, even without using the Nordic sticks I had with me. Especially with the sticks it was pure fun from the first step on.
The type of movement with Skikes and Nordic sticks is like cross country skiing in the skating style. The difference for me was: Skating on cross country skies was pushing my hear rates up to the sky within some minutes every time I tried it. Skiking insteasd allowed me to stay in a reasonable heart rate zone for a long time.
The weight of the Skike was not annoying, although it is almost 2kg per foot.
Small stones on the path were no problem, the ride was very comfortable.
What definitely was not possible was to use it on slightly wet meadow. The ground was too soft there for this wheel size (15cms diameter). I got almost stuck.
The Skikes have the best breaking system on skates I ever have used: A upside-down-V-shaped piece of metal goes down on the rear wheel, when you put one of your feet forward (the system is mounted on both the right and the left skike). Very simple, very effective, very well usable.
I am pretty sure to buy a pair of Skikes, because they allow me to get rid of the paved-roads-limitiation of usual skates. If I do so, I will show some pictures and report more details.

Best regards
Clemens
earlofsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #25
earlofsnider

Default skike bike lanes

I've done a lot of bike lane skating on skikes in the last month. Dangerous with poles if you try to "stay in the lane" You can easily get your pole planted inside of your skate. You can guess the outcome.

I typically double pole when traffic is approaching to reduce my profile. You do take up more than the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick209 View Post
They are not bad for urban seeing bad pavement and stuff doesn't effect them but like the previous posts says, they are long so street crossing at lights is a chore if you are not used to them yet. of course I remember having issues at lighted crosswalks too when I first started out on inlines a long time ago. I don't know what glitchy is but the long is true. They are not astronomically long but if you remember skating then you will notice a difference stepping off a curb onto a cross walk on SKikes vs inlines is different due to curb clearance. On inlines you can walk up onto curb perpendicularly while on skikes you have to be approaching parallel or have some good speed to jump onto it or stop completely and step up. The skike and Powerslide Nordic Trainers are too long to just step up at any roll perpendicular to the curb. I can say this much though, if you are using the bike lane I think they are better but only cause of the poles. A stride via a skike or inline takes up a wide area. If your bike lane is small, your stride could be in the path of traffic. In bike lanes I stride while polling but switch to double pushing with no stride when traffic is coming by. I know this will start some talk like the helmet discussion will about the chances of a car taking one of your legs out in a bike lane is slim and what not but not only have I read somewhere about it being done but also on www.webskis.com in the blog section one of the guys recommend when roller skiing to not stride when traffic is passing while you are in the bike lane because cars cannot see your foot stride, just you skating. When people are around me is easier to double pole so not to worry about my skikes kicking anyone and one again terrain does not trip me up as easily.

So, downside is just you holding poles and the skike lenght but depending on how busy you are talking about it could actually be an advantage on skikes because higher speed not needed for rough terrain to be stable and stuff.

Back to glitchy comment...what do you mean glitchy? I understand length hehe.
earlofsnider is offline   Reply With Quote