S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM   #21
markthetrucker

ya someone just asked and I was throwing in some thoughts to see if the thread would pick back up and maybe he would talk! lol
markthetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM   #22
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Ya, I always wonder how these things turned out too.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM   #23
mistercourtney
be here now

Default It can be about skating!

I just read this thread for interest and I see the 2 year gap just mentioned...

It's a very interesting topic, because if we like to skate indoors then even if we don't own a rink we should know something about how they operate. I believe each rink, area, and owner has their own best way to do things. Many ways can work. It's more about WHAT you do and IF you DO it.

I personally like the idea that rinks can be all about skating, and be successful with a full schedule and full capacity because of it. Possibilities that some rinks are already doing/done:

T-F = 9-11am Tiny Tots and Parents/Caregivers(2 days/wk), 12-2pm Older Adult/S.C. Coffee/organ/social(2 days/wk), 4-6pm Artistic, speed, hockey club or derby practice - all dues paying organizations, 6-8pm school/church/other groups fundraising, 8-? intramural hockey, speed, derby paid admission games, Friday nights early 6-8 bday party session, 8-11pm late session.

Sa - Su AM = 8 am club practices, 10am weekend beginner-advanced group classes (well promoted!), 1-4pm bday/family session, 5-8 pm Sat bday session, 8 - 11pm Sat night session, Sunday 5 -? games, bouts, exhibitions with paid admission.

And Monday is off!

I think one huge thing that would make a difference in roller skating participation would be if the place had excellent rental skates and inlines that were very well maintained and cleaned.

Another huge thing to do is to nurture the spectator side. The derby girls have already figured this out, they have their own teams playing against each other on months when they aren't battling another town. Each of these disciplines can be given a slot once a month.

WHAT SPECTATOR is WHO
Kids Hockey Parents, family, school friends
Adult Hockey Friends, family, kids hockey players
Speed(all ages) Family, friends, derby
Derby It seems everyone..especially if beer is served.
Artistic (exhibition/show) What? You mean on ice.....
mistercourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #24
Dennis Lauer

Default Mister Courtney, the great idea man

I really like your ideas about running roller rinks for roller skaters.

Now if only more roller rinks would open using these ideas.

Can anyone give the names and locations of rinks following these principles?

Bright Eyes your statement about floor type effecting the type and number of skaters coming to roller rinks is also quite true.

Markthetrucker Also look around at the schools, can you offer to do fundraisers? DL This has worked well in the recent past yet many schools are hard to sell on this point, but it is well worth the effort.

Make sure your floor meets the size requirements for speed skating competition as well as well as figure skating. DL Very True one of our local rinks started a speed team but the floor was too small for them to have a speed contest.

Have a good proper floor installed...don't cheap out! DL Some rinks have grown to regret not having a good floor installed the first time around.

The only things that I can think of to add is playing music suitable for roller skating and making sure that common sense rules of skating are strictly enforced (see Sk8rmoms quote). Also keep the rink clean!! Not doing these things have closed two rinks near me in the last 10 years.

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #25
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Here is what I would do. Given the space, I would put some ramps and half pipes away from the main skating floor, some lifecycles so moms taking their kids to skate can get some exercise, (many do not want to risk skating, or have smaller children to watch) a coffee shop, and FOOSBALL tables. (yeah, foosball, for when you don't want to do the hokey pokey) Along with the regular stuff you find at a rink. A small tiny tot play area is good too.
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #26
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercourtney View Post
Derby It seems everyone..especially if beer is served.
Gotham Girls Roller Derby has a full-time dedicated practice space in a warehouse they lease. They hold their bouts at LIU. Unless the rink could hold their thousands of fans, I doubt that they'd have much interest in it as a venue. I wouldn't know presume to know how they'd feel about using a rink as practice space.

Back in 2005 they needed a roller rink pretty badly. They were practicing outdoors under a freeway overpass. Two years later they won the Easter Regionals, beating almost every team by a pile of points. Three years later they were the national champs.

There is a men's league in the city, I have no idea where they practice. Their bouts have tended to be nearby in NJ or away bouts in Baltimore, CT or MA.

One reason they may not be skating doubleheaders with the women's league in town is that many of the men's team's skaters are referees and coaches for that league (and the one up the river in Yonkers). I'm sure some referees here could explain better than I why it's a lot nicer to rest after a full half of jam reffing every jam instead of playing a 30 minute half of your own game then.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote