S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1
KeLLy

Default Posture..

I'm really looking forward to Naomi's tutorial (and hooking up with better slalomers then me, hopefully this week), coz i'm kinda stuck on the basics: cross, snake and fish atm. - gonna work on nelson next and 1 foot/both feet. I feel i should be able to do so much more now that i have the right equipment.

I'm also thinking my posture isn't exatly right. I only recently started paying attention to it, kinda slipped my mind before, with beeing focused on getting trough the cones.
I think, i should have my legs in a 90C angle in the boot (slightly leaning forward against the boot), knees slightly bend and then a straigt back?

but when i do front cross, eg, i automaticaly stretch out my front leg.
any tips here?

Beeing alone sure doens't make it any easier , good thing there's internet !
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Bill

Hi KeLLY,

Skating by yourself can make learning more difficult. One thing you can try is.... video taping yourself skating. you can watch it and usually see things that you need to correct. If this helps, you might try setting up some cones near a big window or reflective wall so you can watch yourself skate.

I can't help you with what's good posture for Slalom, but watching the Slalom videos you can get an idea of the posture you want. A general rule is to keep the knees, hips and shoulders perpendicular to the direction of travel, but Slalom might be different.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Cowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A general rule is to keep the knees, hips and shoulders perpendicular to the direction of travel, but Slalom might be different.
Yes, slalom can be very different from that: you go sideways, or you travel backwards or both feet point in a different direction, etc....

Anyway: one thing Naomi will tell you is that you will have to feel it when to bend your legs or when to straighten them. People can tell you what you need to do and when, but when you feel it, you will memorise it.
Then she will make you slalom with your legs completely straight and after with the legs bend all the time. This way you'll feel it when it's more comfortable when you straighten your legs or when you bend them. It will help you when you try to do the same slalom again, but then the 'normal' way.

Good luck!
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4
janneman

Default wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowry View Post
you will have to feel it when to bend your legs or when to straighten them. People can tell you what you need to do and when, but when you feel it, you will memorise it.
""I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -"confusius
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #5
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Better yet, how about videotaping yourself and posting a clip of the technique that you have a question about? That way, the "online doctors" can diagnose your skating, and non-artistic skaters (like me) could possibly learn from your question.

I'm thinking of getting the skatepark owner to let me skate it before opening and getting someone to tape me, just so I can see what I'm doing. I won't do it while they're open---people see cameras and they start acting all goofy.

Great idea Bill - thanks for posting it.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #6
KeLLy

I've heard the taping idea before, and well, perhaps my husband can use our cellphone, or i can lend my dads camera. There's not much to show yet.

thx for the tip, Cowry.
I've just been focusing on the feet to much, and not the entire body when looking at video's.
It's just much easier to learn something the correct way, then to learn it wrong and having to correct it.

Sadly, it's been raining or just wet a lot, so i didn't get nearly as much practice as i wanted over the holidays.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Cowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
I've just been focusing on the feet to much, and not the entire body when looking at video's.
That's OK, your feet will have to make the right moves anyway; the rest will follow, especially when you do start to tape yourself and see what you're doing. And at some point, you start to feel what's right and also what you're doing wrong (this happens to me more and more lately: I feel I'm doing something wrong, and usually I know what to do different... it's just not always easy to correct the mistakes ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
It's just much easier to learn something the correct way, then to learn it wrong and having to correct it.
So true!
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Jennifer66

I'm also practising myself, so it's getting boring.
the thing is i don't have cones.
[URL="http://shaozi-i66.spaces.live.com"]http://shaozi-i66.spaces.live.com[/URL]
Jennifer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Cowry

You can use plastic (Ikea) cups aswell. They're cheap and perfect to start with. If you want 'real' cones, you can order starway cones or universkate cones
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #10
KeLLy

You could also cut tennisbals in half and use those. I've also seen people use tea-lights - excellent for practicing in the dark.

It's a lot more fun and challenging with cups. I tend to watch slalom movies to keep motivated. And luckily there's forums so you can 'chat' with other people.
Perhaps you can find someone from your region on: www.freestyleskaters.org/forum/

P.s. start with 120 cm spacing, then work towards 80 cm. The real challenge for me is 50 cm.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Markk

Smile

I practice slalom mainly on my own. I understand what you say about it being tough in the early stages but once your through that it has certain advantages...

Mainly I think its good because you can develop your own ways of doing things and think independently from other skaters. If you slalom with lots of other people it is very easy to get influenced by their style too much. That can stop you developing a style unique to you. One thing that does help though is if you can get just one practice partner at your level who you can have a friendly rivalry with in your practicing and to chat to when your taking a breather.
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #12
KeLLy

i doubt you can speak much of "style" in the beginning - lol

But i see you point when it comes to putting a run together. That's when your own creativity comes in. I'm really looking forward to that. Competition is the farthest from my mind as i'm still limited to the basics.

But I allready have some things in mind, tricks that i like more then others.
And in my head it goes pretty smooth. I found it helps to visualise a new trick first, for the crazy, I 'walked' it first. So you understand how it works, and you see yourself doing it. (now i just gotta convince my feet )