S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Desi

Default Movies That Have Featured Roller Dancing

In looking at the list of movies that have featured Rollerskating, there are three that are not included:

"8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music" (2002), a documentary by Tyrone Dixon, Jamin Entertainment and Assistant Director of Roll Bounce

"Roll Bounce" (2005), a 1970's retro skating film featuring Bow Wow, Meagan Good, Nick Cannon, Charlie Murphy and Rick Gonzalez. Directed by Malcom Lee (Best Man), Fox Search Light Pictures and State Street Pictures.

"ATL" (2006), a 2000 Film based in Atlanta, GA. Featuring Rap artist T.I. and produced and directed by Chris Robinson. Warner Borthers Pictures and Overbrook Entertainment.

In addition, part of the inspiration for "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music" was based upon the people featured on SkateGroove.com. Part of the inspiration of Roll Bounce was based upon "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music".

SkateGroove.com is one of the largest websites dedicated to rollerskating today. It averages 1.5 million hits per month and has been in existence since January, 2000.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 3rd, 2006 at 06:11 PM.
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
In looking at the list of movies that have featured Rollerskating, there are three that are not included:

"8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music" (2002), a documentary by Tyrone Dixon, Jamin Entertainment and Assistant Director of Roll Bounce

"Roll Bounce" (2005), a 1970's retro skating film featuring Bow Wow, Meagan Good, Nick Cannon, Charlie Murphy and Rick Gonzalez. Directed by Malcom Lee (Best Man), Fox Search Light Pictures and State Street Pictures.

"ATL" (2006), a 2000 Film based in Atlanta, GA. Featuring Rap artist T.I. and produced and directed by Chris Robinson. Warner Borthers Pictures and Overbrook Entertainment.

In addition, part of the inspiration for "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music" was based upon the people featured on SkateGroove.com. Part of the inspiration of Roll Bounce was based upon "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music".

SkateGroove.com is one of the largest websites dedicated to rollerskating today. It averages 1.5 million hits per month and has been in existence since January, 2000.
never heard of 8 wheels and some soul brother music but i would like to see it. i already seen roll bounce and atl.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #3
diagetus

Quote:
never heard of 8 wheels and some soul brother music but i would like to see it. i already seen roll bounce and atl.
I would highly recommend "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music". It directly addresses the history of what's called roller boogie/roller dance/roller disco/freestyle/jammin/etc./etc./ad infinitum. Roll Bounce and ATL are kind of like dramas with skating as the supplement content. In 8Wheels So.Bro. skating and the history of roller boogie is the main content. It covers real skaters and real rinks across the nation. I don't know why the movie never received more exposure. I found it just as entertaining as Roll Bounce, but a even more enlightening.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagetus View Post
I would highly recommend "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music". It directly addresses the history of what's called roller boogie/roller dance/roller disco/freestyle/jammin/etc./etc./ad infinitum. Roll Bounce and ATL are kind of like dramas with skating as the supplement content. In 8Wheels So.Bro. skating and the history of roller boogie is the main content. It covers real skaters and real rinks across the nation. I don't know why the movie never received more exposure. I found it just as entertaining as Roll Bounce, but a even more enlightening.
ok what year did 8 wheels and some soul brother music come out,,,i seen all the others but never seen or heard of that one. i even seen gene kelley on skates once. let me know anything new.

Rick
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #5
diagetus

I think 8Wheels SoBro. was done fairly recently. I say that because they cover some of the newer styles of US roller boogie that have developed in different areas of the country like freestyle in midwest/Chicago and roller boogie in Atlanta. Suprisingly, they didn't go into west coast rexing, but chose to just do Venice Beach instead. I believe rexing has a foot in roller disco as well. I wouldn't say the video is comprehensive in it's history. There are gaps that can only be filled by books, but it does a pretty good job of following the main origins and pioneers of the genre.

The movie has probably been out a couple years, but it is almost an underground video. I mean, I haven't seen this on the shelves of Blockbuster or anything, but it's a good flick. Most skaters have viewed it because they knew another skater that had it. It's low budget, so it will remind you of Michael Moore's film quality from Roger&Me or Bowling for Columbine.

I say the movie was probably done in the 90's or early 2000 because it doesn't cover the newer Jammin'. The new "Jam Skating" is the style which is almost like break dancing on skates, it's really popular with the kids. They give themselves away because they tend to wear low cut Riedell boots and the like.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

According to the Internet Movie Database, "8 Wheels and Some Soul Brotha Music" was released in 2003 and the DVD was released in 2005. If you can't find it for rent in video shops you can buy the CD at Amazon.com:

At Amazon: 8 Wheels And Some Soul Brotha Music
Director: Tyrone D. Dixon
Starring: Bill Butler and the True Roller Skaters
Studio: Jammin Entertainment
Length: 70 minutes

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Bill

Here's a link to their website where you'll find some clips and where you can purchase the DVD...
http://www.8wheelsdoc.com/indexnm.html

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #8
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here's a link to their website where you'll find some clips and where you can purchase the DVD...
http://www.8wheelsdoc.com/indexnm.html

Bill

thanks for the info, it is onsale online. if i cant get it otherwise i might have to buy it lol. i like what i saw and its all the moves that were done in the 70s and 80s in disco skating when i skated in boston at spinoffs and down the esplanade.

Rick