S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #101
okie

Exclamation Spokes in a WHeel! Its in the seat of your pants!

For years motorcycle dirt Flat Track Racing have used spokes in a wheel. Still do.

When a real MAG company (Lester) started making super light racing rims,we thought they would do aways with the spoked design.

BUT!
A motorcycle spoke rim transfers feel when it is leaned over and rotating all the way up to how you control the grip.

Howard Barnes for years has made flat track motorcycle spoke wheels/hubs. All the spokes are the same length and the wheel is a quick change reversal on the hub. So you can even out wear,we only turned left.

We can actually tune the wheel by the tightness of the spokes. We do it by ear. A pink-in sound you get when you tap the spoke with a metal object.

San Jose California Fairgrounds Horse racing track. Flying mile. We were provided the STIFF no Flex, REAL Light weight MAG wheels to try. AMA Camel Pro RACING.

I took off my Howard Barnes tuned steel (Buchanan's) spoked wheels and tryed the real stiff MAGS. Down the straights @ 100mph+ on my Harley 750 XR,I throw it sideways in the turns and hold up with a steel shoe strapped on my left foot. Times are all real close in qualifying.

As the track drys out and gets harder and slick I can no longer get the feel of the rear wheel grip,air pressure or tire cutting makes no difference in feel.

I switch back to my Howard Barnes spoked rims. Immediate difference,the spokes telegraph the grip right up through the track. I feel about where the ragged edge is between grip and slip.The advantage of the Harley V twin is the smooth power flow so you can bring the back end around with the throttle.

Said it before,roller skating is just like motorcycle riding. Leaning in the turns and your balance controls you ability. It get better with practice and wheel choices for venues.

Now what does all this mean????? No this is not a commercial for ATOM. But this is the desired effect to obtain from a flex in a skate wheel hub. (there not the only one doing it either)

Some flex helps the wheel grip in the turns, the Nirvana is to get the right amount of grip and flex for YOUR weight and floor grip. Its never ending,but thats where its at for best skate wheel performance.

It starts with your feet and goes up your butt to your brain.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM   #102
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Thanks for the new sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
It starts with your feet and goes up your butt to your brain.
okie
*adding jibba-jabba to meet reply length requiremnts....
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM   #103
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
the one who suggested they would have more compliance sort of absorbing shock but really nothing like a shock absorber.more like a doughy spring.as a shock absorber only dampens impact and stops recoil.And it is not the ones near the ground on a motorcycle wheel spoke as they would just push through the rim into the tube area.its is more the top and the sides. but i agree its actually shared not only both top and bottom but also on every spoke on the turbo hub , but not equally between the curved spokes.
I was assuming the term bike meant BICYCLE, versus motor bike.
The motorbike cast aluminum style spoked wheel obviously takes the weight on the spokes closer to the ground which cycle from compression to tension as the go through one revolution. Whereas, bicycle spoked wheels with thin, round, stainless steel, threaded end spokes are tightened to the point where they are always in tension as they roll.

-Armadillo
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #104
quantoo

Default i see what you getting at now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I was assuming the term bike meant BICYCLE, versus motor bike.
The motorbike cast aluminum style spoked wheel obviously takes the weight on the spokes closer to the ground which cycle from compression to tension as the go through one revolution. Whereas, bicycle spoked wheels with thin, round, stainless steel, threaded end spokes are tightened to the point where they are always in tension as they roll.

-Armadillo
I always talk Motocross or dirt bike wheels when i mention motorcycle.As road bikes come second .Yes like a bicycle laced spokes.I think yamaha Rd 250/ 350 lc wheels have the curved cast spokes like the bones hubs . ive never seen one of those just collapse from normal metal fatigue.But i have seen one or two after accidents and they break like any other motomag.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM   #105
Sidewinder
UFO

I think the hubs will be fine. They look strong, I think Rollerbones has a good enough history that they wouldn't let these go without adequate testing. I'm hoping for a nice balance of hub flex on a thin urethane to really provide something unique to the wheel.

My question is the width. Nathan has them posted them as 44mm wide. The ebay auction that has them posts them at 38mm. I measure neither. With the pic in scale, both Nathan's and the ebay auction pic I show as being 40mm wide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Bones...item415e04d46c

Any definitive proof from anyone? Anyone planning on getting a set?
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM   #106
pavement

I have a set of 97s on order due any day now. ill post back with my thoughts after I skate them. I would not worry about the strength of the hubs they look properly designed to me. I think it will be an awsome wheel.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #107
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Having skated the super soft prototypes, the 103a prototypes, and the Snakes, I am thinking the 97a's are going to be money.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #108
Poobah

I'm hoping to roll my new Snakes tonight. I'll see how fast they yellow...
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM   #109
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I'm hoping to roll my new Snakes tonight. I'll see how fast they yellow...
Mine are still brighter than all of my other white wheels except for my Turbo Prototypes, but only because I haven't used them that often.

Your new wheels will be slick when they are new, but break in after a few sessions.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #110
RollerBones

they are 39mm wide. 101's are in the print shop now. we did a ton of durability testing on the hub. bruised my heels for the field testing jumping off loading docks.
RollerBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM   #111
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBones View Post
they are 39mm wide. 101's are in the print shop now. we did a ton of durability testing on the hub. bruised my heels for the field testing jumping off loading docks.
Any plans for a wider 44mm set?
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #112
pavement

Quote:
Keep up the good work, and especially thanks for the new wheels!@#
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #113
RollerBones

no plans for a 44mm at this time. just doing what I can to get these out and then an outdoor wheel is on the plate next.
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #114
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Quote:
we did a ton of durability testing on the hub. bruised my heels for the field testing jumping off loading docks.
That is what I wanted to hear. (Not the bruised heels part, of course.)
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #115
malajusted
old but still good

Default 101 bones

The 97a roll real good
Just waiting to break them in
I got them as soon as they hit
Aussie
The 101 will they be the same white
Or a new distinctive colour
To set them apart from the rest
Old November 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #116
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Any ideas when they will hit distributers???

Quote:
I am on these, I hope they are white with the black hub, I plan on dying wheels red.

I assume if you are making the 101's, then the 103's are not going to production??

101 will work, with that larg hub I imagine they will roll like a bones 103 super elite. Good stuff
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #117
RollerBones

a tight fast roll, and ride harder that they are due to a stiff over sized hub.

colored urethane for 2012! oh and maybe some colored hubs!
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #118
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
You guys rock.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #119
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
a tight fast roll, and ride harder that they are due to a stiff over sized hub.

Feel free to send some testers to Australia.
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #120
pavement

Thumbs up Yay for FedEx guy!!!

Came today, all mounted up with some new Qube 8 ball bearings. Fit and finish was top notch, all bearing seats fit very nicely. Gonna roll them tonight and see how they perform. Will post back with how they skate.....