S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 19th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #121
Rogzilla

I grew up in a town called Livingston in Northern NJ. I was Googling recently, trying to find out about the rink I used to skate at as a kid (now long gone) and found a NY Times article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/16/ny...ects/S/Suburbs
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM   #122
Hanger18

A closed rink is what brought me back to skating. I grew up in Austin Tx and during the early 80's I spent most of my time skating at Skateworld. I was the stereotypical rink rat, part time floorguard, speed team member, etc. Recently I was in Austin and happened to drive by the location and noticed that the building was still there and it had a "For Sale or Lease" sign on it. As a rather frustrated software developer, I had a brief thought of "I wonder how much". I made some calls and discovered that the building is still configured as a skating rink but has not been open for 3 years. The owners of the property bought it as a foreclosure and are asking 1.1 million for the property. After some analysis of costs versus potential income I came to the conclusion that it would not be a venture worth pursuing at that price. Anyway, the thoughts of the fun I had there prompted me to do some skating with the kids at some local Houston rinks (where I now live) and I had a great time. Almost immediately I caught a vicious case of SEDS and I am now spending ridiculous amounts on this hobby. I have to admit though, that I would love to find a way to run a rink or rinks in a way that could be seriously profitable.
Hanger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #123
Skateway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I skated there on a rounfd the country trip in Aug 1989. I have a flyer for it I think. Really nice Rink, sorry to hear its gone.

Gordy

You must be thinking of another rink. The old patterson lake rink closed many years before 1989!
Skateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #124
Ignatz
Brick House

Default ATL - Playland

Skated Playland on Buford Hwy. twice a week from 1966-69, semi-regularly after that. Broke my wrist there in 1980. Owner, Mr. Phillips (?) Hard painted yellow cement floor, stage, outdoor skate/practice area. Skated to "Louie Louie", "Red Rubber Ball", "Wendy"... Recently I had a blast-from-the-past reunion at Sparkles with my skating friend from the 60s, what fun!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #125
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Default England

There was only one rink for me when I was growing up.

Wigan Roller Rink - otherwise known as "The Empire Skate Building".

It opened in 1979 I believe and I know for a fact it closed its doors in 1990 and was later re-opened as an indoor go-kart track (bastards!).

Had an awesome floor (reputed to be the best in the Northwest, if not the country) at the time.

Many a happy friday and monday night were spent skating around the place, flirting with the girlies, falling over and participating in the speed skate sessions as well as the games (British Bulldog on skates anyone?).

Good news for us though is that we're getting a one-night opportunity on friday to truly relive the 80's - the owner is letting us all go skate again (I'm going early to help move the tires from the rink surface) - just hope the flooring hasn't suffered too much under the wheels of those damnable karts.
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #126
retread

That's awsome....all the years Rollarena was used as a flea market and bingo hall, how I wished they would let us have one more skate. They ripped the floor up a while ago (picture earlier in this thread) so all hope is lost. Enjoy your chance!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #127
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

I began my rink-rat days at a place called Cypress Skateway in Cypress California. If memory serves me there were 3 Skateways... the one in Cypress, another in Mission Viejo, CA., and the third in Chino, CA.

They were corporate rinks that sprang up just prior to the skating boom in the late 70's. Rumor has it three Orange County CA real-estate developers were looking for a tax shelter and figured roller skating was a safe bet. Apparently, they failed to foresee the disco skating craze that hit just a couple years later. Suddenly the Mission Viejo Co was knee deep in the skating business and their low key tax shelters were making money hand over fist.

The rinks were all setup with very similar floor plans with at least one of them being built into an existing retail center. Cypress was it's own stand-a-lone building. Everything was brand new and well maintained but being built as a business venture they contained very basic interiors when compared to some of the old school rinks built decades before. The skating floors were the floating particle board type and covered in either gold or blue Roll-On

Like many corporate rinks that sprung up in the late 70's the Skateways are long gone with the best of them. Cypress Skateway as a building is still there, although it's now a church, but it looks much the same as I remember from my youth. I'm over that way once a month or so and I never fail to glance longingly at the building as I drive by, smiling to myself just a little as I remember friends of old and the endless innocent fun of my youth.
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #128
Nostalgic

The Mission Viejo rink was in a shopping center. Big parking lot. They had speed regionals there. In 1981 I think.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #129
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

I believe Don Rodgers was coaching out of there back then. Their team colors were black and gold I think. I raced against some of his skater 82/83-ish. He used to bring home the team trophy every meet because he had all the kiddie divisions locked up. He used to show up with like 40 skaters and all but 2 or 3 of them were under the age of 15.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #130
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Thumbs up Update

Ok, so it's been nearly a week since I got back to the old Rink...

I cracked a rib due to my drunken brother falling on me (he's never skated in his life but had to "have a go").

Aside from the injury, the place is pretty much as it was back in the day

Surface is mostly intact (there are two patches of floor that've been replaced with concrete) and skates just like I remember - the concrete bits do tend to make my wheels a little twitchy though.

What was most amazing was the number of folk who, like me, kept their skates for all these years and could still use them just as well as back in 1990!

Some of the kids (and a couple of the "veterans") had blades but they were in the minority - even my 7-year old niece wants to trade in her blades for a set of quads.

I'd say upward of 90% of the 300+ skaters there were wearing skates pretty much identical (hardware-wise) to mine and some had what you Americans, Aussies etc would see as more "normal" skates (Roller Derby brand boots, at least one pair of Riedells etc).

Best thing: we skated from 7:30pm til midnight on the friday (as promised) then were allowed to go back for a second session on the saturday (which I skated most of but skipped the speed section due to the injury from friday).
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #131
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
Ok, so it's been nearly a week since I got back to the old Rink...

I cracked a rib due to my drunken brother falling on me (he's never skated in his life but had to "have a go").

Aside from the injury, the place is pretty much as it was back in the day

Surface is mostly intact (there are two patches of floor that've been replaced with concrete) and skates just like I remember - the concrete bits do tend to make my wheels a little twitchy though.

What was most amazing was the number of folk who, like me, kept their skates for all these years and could still use them just as well as back in 1990!

Some of the kids (and a couple of the "veterans") had blades but they were in the minority - even my 7-year old niece wants to trade in her blades for a set of quads.

I'd say upward of 90% of the 300+ skaters there were wearing skates pretty much identical (hardware-wise) to mine and some had what you Americans, Aussies etc would see as more "normal" skates (Roller Derby brand boots, at least one pair of Riedells etc).

Best thing: we skated from 7:30pm til midnight on the friday (as promised) then were allowed to go back for a second session on the saturday (which I skated most of but skipped the speed section due to the injury from friday).

Pictures!!!! Please!!!!
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #132
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Talking For retread :)

Me, setting off for the speed session.

Sideways anyone?

More of me!

I'd post more but I might break the forums lol!
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #133
marnie2

I remember The Pike rink in Southampton PA. We also skated at Jamison on Friday nights. Many kids had birthday parties at Jamison.
marnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #134
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Default Video too!

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...=BNwhw&u=AfVNz

You can just make me out flying past occasionally by the blue lights on my heels

Edit to add more (can see the floor better in this one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCvFe_IcU8

Last edited by Elysarian; June 28th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #135
gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
Well being that it's historical :-)

I started skating in the early 1950's at a little pillered rink up stairs from an Engineering firm in Royal Oak, Michigan. The rink is long gone, but it is where I found my first Pro Mr. Walsh, and my first love his daughter Carol, who went on to many National placements. Mr. Walsh moved me to what was the main roller rink in the Dteroit area at the time, The Arcadia, on Woodward Ave. near downtown Detroit. I skated there, trying to and playing at Juvenile Dance and Pairs with Carol Walsh, until around 1958. The Arcadia was an amazing place National Champions abounded. I learned to jump just following the several National contender senior men that skated there. The old Arcadia went to the wrecking ball some time in the 1960's I believe, I remember skating the last public session there somewhere around 1964 or 5??? ANd killing my self trying to see who could still land what jumps, and my Axel still wasn't there :-)

The rink I considered home for many years after that, was the Motor City Rink at Nine Mile and Van Dyke in Warren, Michigan. http://www.guarnieri.com/motorcity/shows.htm

It was at the Motor City rink that I ended taking lessons from Bill Pate, a man I know I frustrated badly, with my inability to land a decent single Axel, while jumping every other jump with ease, but the Axel just wasn't my jump??? The Motor City had a great floor, a bit small. I skated Dance, Figures, Pairs, and Fours while there along with Speed and Roller Hockey as a member of the Motor City Bulldog's. My prtner there was Pamala Lucas, we skated together until 1964. The Motorcity Rink lost it's battel with the wrecking ball in 1986. Some of the other Pro at Motor City were Rose Martin, Charlie Wahlig, and of course Bill and Gail Pate

The actual first indoor rink I ever skated at which later became a home for me was the Clawson Roller Rink, in Clawson, Michigan about 14 miles North of the City of Detroit. The rink was located on Fourteen Miles road, near Main Street. I frist ventured there in 1950 or 51?? The original owner was Johnny Stone, the last owner was Butch Gagnan(sic) The rink is now a furniture store :-( But it does still have the otiginal floor and a Skating wall of fame. I skated Freestyle, Dance and Pairs while I skated at Clawson, while there I took lessons from Bee Green who was the pro there at the time.

Another old now gone rink in the Detroit area was Mcky Dunn's Mt Clemens Roller rink, with is now a Dental office. Yes the rink was a bit small and narrow. After I became a retread skater in the late 1970's I skated at Mt Clnmens and took dance lessons for Micky's daugther Kathy Dunn.

My last home rink was Riverside Arean in Livonia Michigan (1979-1990) and as far as I know it's still going strong. When I was skating dance back in the sixties at Motor City with my Dnce partner Pamla Lucas, we used to go to Riverside to stretch out our dance patterns. And get laughed at for our Americal Style of dancing as Riverside was the "Other" Association, that skated that funny bent out of shape International style. We did manage to learn to skate the Tango Barn dance, with it's funny reverse direction sequences. And later as a retread Riverside became my home rink and I was a member of the Judges Panel there. And I finally cme to embrace the International stle of dance, the Harris Tango becoming one of my favorite dances, especilly when I got to dance it with Kahty Dunn, we had a blast until she decied to get married and top skating :-(

As you noted many rinks are just not arund any longer, and it has to be a sign of the times, less skater fewer rinks needed.. When I moved from Michigan in Jluy 2004 I found a rink out here, in New Hampshire, near by, Good Times Skating Center, in Merrimack, NH. Where I ran into my old friend Cynthia Gates, who was retired from Michigan and teaching there on occaision. The people that owned the rink were very into officiating at Nationals,I was getting interested in getting back into judging and refereeing, but the rink closed shortly after I started skating there. There were so few people skating the sessions that it didn't surprise me at all that the place closed . And it now a "For Sale" abandoned building :-(

Oh well so much for rambling history :-(

do you have any idea where carol walsh is now--we got third at nationals in intermediate pairs==boston 1959

a very nice family(the hakims) owned that upstairs rink--fairview gardens

billy pate was a great pro and so was his beautiful wife gail
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #136
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Hakim's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
do you have any idea where carol walsh is now--we got third at nationals in intermediate pairs==boston 1959

a very nice family(the hakims) owned that upstairs rink--fairview gardens

billy pate was a great pro and so was his beautiful wife gail
Shaw and I had photography in common, he was part owner in a couple of camera stores in LA??? and had an amazing amout of good gear, that he let me play with..

Shaw's son, my old buddy Eddie who managed Motorcity now runs a hot tub place in Madison Heights, Mi on John R North of Eleven Mile Road. I was in Detroit eariler this year, but couldn't catch hi at the place...

Bill Pate was my last Pro and Gail also helped a lot with my Figures.. They are divorced now and Bill is living in Flordia, I talked to him a year or so ago. We had a laugh about me the kid that could do doubles, but had the worlds worst single axel.. One day when I was struggling with my axel, as usual, he took off his sports coat, hung in over the rail and wearing his dance skates, proceeded to do five axel's in a row.. I had neve seen Bill skate freestyle, let alone do any jumps. When he was done, he gave me the "If and Old Man like me" speach, but it didn't help though, my axel never improved.. I could do a double Bokle (sic) but not a single axel, go figure???

Are you still living in the Detroit area???

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #137
discodave

closed rinks in central/northern Ca include modesto, stockton and recently rollerking in elk grove.
I skated and worked at Star Skate World in Santa Rosa for nearly 20 years when they closed and sold out to a church (rink was Star Wars Themed)
The owner Bob Casanova now owns Cal Skate in Rohnert Park and its still going real nicely. Star closed back in 2000. I loved it there as a DJ, floor Guard, speed skater and serious rexer. A group of us traveled al around the bay area to check out outer rinks regularly. Now, that I moved to Springfield, Or I have a new rink to experience and check out. Last night i was told theres a brand new rink in West Eugene. I dont know the name of the new rink but $10.00 a session is way outta line. Im paying an average $3.50 a session in Springfield.
discodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #138
sharon6pack

Default Oh my God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post

Me, setting off for the speed session.

Sideways anyone?

More of me!

I'd post more but I might break the forums lol!
Holy crap, are those poles in the middle of the floor!!!!! And tires on the outside??!!!
sharon6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #139
scubask8tr

I think I recall Elysarian saying their old rink was turned into a go kart track and they let them skate there not long ago.
That would explain the tyres (but poles ?)
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #140
roxy

Default laces roller skating rink

this rink was where everyone went and most of us found out about dating and having the most fun..laces was in new hyde park ny and was a huge rink..I was a skate guard there and they made you were a purple shiny vest with a bow tie with equal colors..this rink was the center of everyones lives from 12 to 24 years old..most of us have been friends for life! this is were we praticed our moves when we were not at roxy..laces closed down and the made it an ice skating rink instead..the memmorys that we have are unforgettable and we all mostly still skate together..we are a family that knows each other pretty well..so there you go..laces
roxy is offline   Reply With Quote