S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
rapidslider

Default Ozone treat for equipment?

Hello All. I'll try to keep it short. Ozone treating hockey equipment using a commercial machine like 'Sani-Sport' or 'Sport-o-zone', to eliminate the odour seems common in North America.

I'm currently messing about with this in my garage. I built a chamber out of all the correct materials, specs etc and I thought I had something that worked until I had some disappointing feedback recently from someone at the club.

All I ask is (targeted at anyone who has actually used these machines):

1. Did it work for you? Did the 10 - 15 minute cycle really get the smell out?
2. For anyone who might use these often, did you notice what the ozone level rating was on the display screen?

I'm in the UK and this just doesn't exist over here. This, unlike a whole load of other hair-brained experiments I tinker about with in my garage, I thought would work. It does to a certain extent. It works well on my 9 year old's gear but doesn't do a very good job on old, very smelly teenager gear!
rapidslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

I haven't tried the ozone machine on Hockey gear but, did try to get the mildew smell out of a vintage pair of speed bots with limited success.
I had better luck getting the mildew smell out of a tent using one.
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

It's going to take more than fifteen minutes to get the smell out with ozone. I work at a car dealer and the detailers leave the ozonator in the cars that need it for at least six hours.

However, it does work great. I've tossed my derby gear in a used car while they're ozonating it. Smell gone!
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
rapidslider

Thanks guys. You've confirmed my suspicions on this one. Very long treatment to soak into the padding but it sanitizes thin fabric very quickly.

I just can't figure out why these commercial units do it in 10 to 15 minutes. Seems impossible to me. I've posted on an ozone forum as well but with no answer. Pressurized air blasting in maybe?...
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidslider View Post
Thanks guys. You've confirmed my suspicions on this one. Very long treatment to soak into the padding but it sanitizes thin fabric very quickly.

I just can't figure out why these commercial units do it in 10 to 15 minutes. Seems impossible to me. I've posted on an ozone forum as well but with no answer. Pressurized air blasting in maybe?...
We use commercial ozonators at my shop (I work at a car dealer) and we've never ozonated any vehicle that fast. It takes a good six to eight hours.

I took one home one night (cat decided to pee on my shoes and the carpet in the closet) and it got rid of the cat pee smell that cat pee cleaner couldn't, but again, I left it closed in the closet all day.

10-15 minutes is rubbish unless their ozonator is the size of an elephant!
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #6
inlina
ABEC42

I didn't even know the technology existed to do that.

A car is a very complex, layered set of geometry. Perhaps it takes a long to to get a car done because the ozone has to soak it's way in through all the nooks and crannys to get at the lingering smells that can hide in a car. Skates and hockey gear are a bit simpler in that sense.

Perhaps the amount of time depends on how well you treat your gear as well. When I was last playing hockey back 10years+ ago my gear lived in my bag and it stunk bad all the time. These days I air my gear after every use. I think my current gear would be a better canidate for a short cycle than my old gear.

Another question on this...my partner wants to make her hockey comeback as a goalie. Do you think I will be able to use ozone treatment to remove the goalie smell from her?

CG
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #7
rapidslider

You could certainly use it on her equipment... but not on her. That would <a-hem>.. kill her.

You're absolutely right about severity of equipment. My son's stuff is odour free. Why? because as soon as it started to smell of a rotten corpse, I treated it. I've treated it periodically ever since. The stuff I was having problems with was possibly 3rd hand, old, teenager kit. About as bad as it gets. When I pulled it out of his bag, I dry heaved.

Hanging up to dry is essential because whilst I was testing out the machine, I purposely put his wet, sweaty equipment in his bag and sealed it so it would accumulate stink. That worked! Now I hang it up and it only needs treatment every few months.

My conclusion is this:

1. It works but very case by case. Severe stuff needs a 3 - 6 hour 'soak'.
2. It works well on thin or less severe equipment and should work as a good 'refresh' on gear that was previously soaked for a long period of time.
3. Because of these process times it isn't commercially viable as a mobile unit.
4. I still don't know how SaniSport and SportsOZone do it but I'll continue digging. These don't exist over here so I need to try to recruit some Canadian friends to do some spying for me