S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1
inlina
ABEC42

Default Frustrations with Referee Quality

OK, I am now frustrated and need to vent and seek advice.

I am now in to my second season of an 'in house' league that is by far the biggest and highest quality in house league in the state in not Australia. Everything has been going well, but I think I have a bit of an issue with one of the refs. Maybe I started it, but if it goes on too much longer, I might have to finish it too.

Last season I came up against this guy as an opponent who at that stage *used* to be a referee for the league. Apparently he got sick of putting up with crap from the players so he stopped mid way through last season. The guy is actually a goalie in the upper levels of the league but play floor for fun in the lowest level (quite frankly he skates too well to play that level).

So last season I was up against him in lowest grade in the league and this guy was playing a very hacky game. It got to a point where he was chopping and pushing around what are essentially developmental players so much that I decided it was time I helped him to a penalty. I have played enough hockey back in the day to know how to rile up a guy like this into a slashing penalty, and boy did I. Let's face it, this guy should know better since he had referee experience.

In a subsequent game last season between his team and another I was watching he took another significant slashing penalty. This guy like to play dirty with his stick. Now in seeing that happen, a temmate and I may have sung at the top of our lungs, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK" and the rest of the song. We thought it was funny.

Now the problem is he seems to like assessing penalties gainst me for no good reason. He reffed a tournament I played earlier this year and the penalties I recieved were all from him. So far this season, I have been assessed 2 minors again both by him. The first on was a hooking penalty in which I did not impeed the players progress...if anything what I did was slashing (the opponents stick that is) and even that would have been dubious. And last weekend he assessed me a holding penalty after the ref closest assessed a hooking penalty to my opposing player. I know it is possible to have both assessed at the same time, but the opposing player hooked me and I went down, it was a bit hard for me to deliberatly hold his stick. Not only that, the ref that assessed me the holding penalty was back at the centre line and the infraction happened in the slot right in front of the other ref...I reckong the closer ref had a better view of what went down.

So now I have the issue that I feel this ref is going to call me at any opportunity. Was I in the wrong to start with for riling him up as a hackey player...I think thats 50/50. Was it unsporting of me to sing I'm a Lumberjack...yeah, probably. Does he still have a duty to be fair and balanced (not Fox News style though) in his refereeing duties....I think so.

So what do you think? Am I just being a cry baby and I get what I deserve? Should he still remain impartial despite our short, mutually unsportsman-like history? Should I bring this up with the manager/owner now?...if it continues?

CG

edit: just read the FIRS rulebook which is what I believe our rules are based on (not the USA rulebook). The hooking rule specifically states:

Quote:
NOTE: When a player is checking another is such a way that there is only stick-to-stick contact, such action is NOT either hooking or holding. That player may turn the stick down over the opponent’s stick.
So the first penalty I took for hooking should have in no way been a hooking penalty.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

If he is calling everything on everyone, thats one thing. If he is calling everything on you that he sees, he's doing is job and you may just be holding it against him because you've had an issue with him.

But if you feel like he is out to get you with everything...
A) Bring the play to him and run over him to knock him out so he can't ref anymore
B) File a complaint to who ever runs everything.

You can't be petty in the complaints because they will see right through that, but you'd need to state your case to just ask that someone else ref your games.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Ref's get it right and ref's get it wrong, it's the nature of the game. It's Hockey.