S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #81
akyramoto

here a little vid of me & my dogs out on the landrollers, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFHilYEbBM
akyramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #82
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyramoto View Post
here a little vid of me & my dogs out on the landrollers, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFHilYEbBM
Nice vid, them LR's lok like fun rec skates
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #83
Newbie2Blades

Default First Time on LandRollers

Hello Everyone -
I purchased a pair of Landrolle's for my birthday. I just received them this afternoon. I have not ridden on a pair of inline skates at all. I use to ride the four wheel skates... however, these landroller's are something totally different all together. The only issue i have is the boot is very high on me. So I'm getting some pain from the top of the boots. I only rode them for 20 or so minutes today. Tomorrow is another day to get my feet and legs use to these skates. I purchased them to get a workout and that's what I intend to do. Anyone have advise for the new person?

Last edited by Newbie2Blades; April 10th, 2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Spell check
Newbie2Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #84
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Blades View Post
Hello Everyone -
I purchased a pair of Landrolle's for my birthday. Tomorrow is another day to get my feet and legs use to these skates. I purchased them to get a workout and that's what I intend to do. Anyone have advise for the new person? Newbie
Welcom N2B, The best advise is the same for all FNG's: practice, practice, practice and have fun while yor at it!
Keep us posted on yor progress and with som pix.
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #85
Keikojay

Smile MoJos 4 Tera9s

Summer of '08 skated on Terra9s and thought I loved them. A couple of weeks ago I received MoJos and I am 2xloving these! Last summer I skated maybe once a week for not much more than an hour. I have a wide foot and the MoJos hold firm from heel through the instep but the ball of my foot is not all folded up like in my Rollerblades or Oxygens. I can skate everyday for a couple of hours if I want and NO PAIN! Right now I'm home in Colorado and skating when the trails are free of snow. Summer I travel the USA and the Landrollers allow me to skate in towns with 'not so good' trails. Boulder,Venice,South Beach skating is easy. But Fargo's trails go underwater every winter. Pittsburgh, "Forget about it!" Does anybody know if a national bike trail index exists? Casper has great trail, nothing in Atlanta, Memphis is there a list on this site?
Well, first time poster so if any reactions let me know.
Keikojay
Keikojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #86
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keikojay View Post
Summer of '08 skated on Terra9s and thought I loved them. A couple of weeks ago I received MoJos and I am 2xloving these! Last summer I skated maybe once a week for not much more than an hour. I have a wide foot and the MoJos hold firm from heel through the instep but the ball of my foot is not all folded up like in my Rollerblades or Oxygens. I can skate everyday for a couple of hours if I want and NO PAIN! Right now I'm home in Colorado and skating when the trails are free of snow. Summer I travel the USA and the Landrollers allow me to skate in towns with 'not so good' trails. Boulder,Venice,South Beach skating is easy. But Fargo's trails go underwater every winter. Pittsburgh, "Forget about it!" Does anybody know if a national bike trail index exists? Casper has great trail, nothing in Atlanta, Memphis is there a list on this site?
Well, first time poster so if any reactions let me know.
Keikojay
Welcom jay: So how much change are the mojos compared to tierras? and how much difference between mojos and yor R▀'s?
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #87
Kerry

Default Questions about the Landroller Mojo

I am a female and used to rollerskate (inside, rinks) from the 70s-90s but haven't in recent years. Since then, I've put on weight and need to start exercising more. (I'm 45 now and about 40-45 lbs. overweight.) Complicating matters is that I have asthma and weak ankles. The asthma just means I need to be cautious about overdoing things, since allergies and exercise can induce flare-ups. About the ankle, I rolled it three times in one year and wound up in an air cast for months. :-( After physical therapy, I switched to New Balance tennis shoes and have had no sprains since. This was 6-7 years ago.

I "fantasize" about gently regaining my health and former body shape, and I foster three dogs that are desperate for excercise. I'd like to consider getting Landroller Mojos based on watching the Dog Whisperer show. Actually, I'm hoping these will allow me to exercise the dogs more often and more intensely without totally wearing me out or killing my ankles again. I'm a bit fearful about my ankles, though; wearing an air cast through the summer was the pits, not to mention the whole process was quite painful!

Can anyone give me advice on how the Mojos work with weak ankle tendencies? The angled wheels on the Landroller Mojos LOOK like they'd be problematic for my ankles, but looks can be deceiving. If I should avoid Mojos and opt for something else -- something that's not likely going to set me up for another ankle sprain -- please make recommendations. I'm totally new to this, but I'm open to it if I can preserve my ankles in the process. (My doctor just says to be careful and find some form of exercise I'll stick with.)

The pair I end up with also need to be fairly easy to use. I'm not totally lazy; just out of shape. In addition to my ankles, I have mild arthritis in my knees and fibromyalgia in general. I know me well enough to say that if it's a mega workout to try to use them, they'll wind up in my closet collecting dust. So, the Landrollers (or alternative recommended brand and style) should roll pretty easily and be cushiony/comfortable to wear.

One more question: I have always worn wide size shoes. Typically, I'm in 8 1/2 W. How "true" is the sizing on Landrollers -- or any other brand you might suggest?
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #88
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Can anyone give me advice on how the Mojos work with weak ankle tendencies? The angled wheels on the Landroller Mojos LOOK like they'd be problematic for my ankles, but looks can be deceiving. (My doctor just says to be careful and find some form of exercise I'll stick with.)

The pair I end up with also need to be fairly easy to use. . So, the Landrollers (or alternative recommended brand and style) should roll pretty easily and be cushiony/comfortable to wear.

One more question: I have always worn wide size shoes. Typically, I'm in 8 1/2 W. How "true" is the sizing on Landrollers -- or any other brand you might suggest?
Kerry, as ▄ R starting out after many yrs and have had damaged ankles ▄ might want to get a hard shell boot like RollerBlades with 90mm wheels, that way ▄ have a skate to learn on and protect yor ankle and able to take the dawgs for a roll and of course lose some weight. Granted the 1st few weeks yor gonna feel a lil clumsy like the rest of did at 1st but hang in there and in a short time they will fit like a glove. Mojo's the verdic on ankle support for a FNG is not conclusive and might not be a gud idea as 1st skates and also they don't turn by just leaning like all other skates, ▄ actually have to lift yor skate up and repoint in that direction.
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #89
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

yeh, i think that the dog whisperer has done wonders for landroller sales, but i don't think that they are a good choice for many people. find a regular inline with lots of support.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #90
Kerry

So, you suggest rollerblades rather than rollerskates, right? Rollerblades are the single row wheels that sit right under the boot, if I envision them correctly. Won't those be even worse for wobbly ankles? Maybe they're more stable than I'm envisioning, though...

Any brand or brands you especially recommend? I live in a small town quite a distance from stores that might specialize in sporting equipment, so I'm almost locked into what I can find and order online.

Any other words of wisdom are also welcome as I venture on this journey toward better health and fitness. ;-)
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #91
Kerry

Forgive my ignorance, but what a FNG?
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #92
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
So, you suggest rollerblades rather than rollerskates, right? Rollerblades are the single row wheels that sit right under the boot, if I envision them correctly. Won't those be even worse for wobbly ankles? Maybe they're more stable than I'm envisioning, though...

Any brand or brands you especially recommend? I live in a small town quite a distance from stores that might specialize in sporting equipment, so I'm almost locked into what I can find and order online.

Any other words of wisdom are also welcome as I venture on this journey toward better health and fitness. ;-)
yes Roller▀lades are inline skates and yes with the hard shell boot it will give you plenty of ankle support. However since you are still worried about yor ankle support for outdoor use, . . . maybe the Quadline high boot with the 90mm wheels will be more of what yor looking for:

or even more support with wide trucks and 100mm wheels:

Last edited by gem; April 26th, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #93
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what a FNG?
FNG = Fraking New Guy, or Nub, newbee, green horn, basicly anyone starting out on something new, whatever that may ▀e.
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #94
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Okay, Kerry, here's how it's gonna be.

domsablos will eventually pick up this thread and suggest Seba GTs or Twisters.

gem will use weird terms you don't understand, but it will always come back to some sort of Rollerblade product.

if armadillo sniffs this out, he will say something about how outdoor quads are the best ever, and he will USE LOTS OF CAPS in sometimes RANDOM ways. And he will say stuff about A PROPER FORWARD MOUNT and LARGE-HUBBED LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELS and GLUEING SHOES to PLATES.

I'll say that some sort of inline skates with 90mm wheels and plenty of ankle support are the right answer.

So, you sorta gotta think about what you want to do on skates, and what kind of skate you think you would like, and then maybe ask some more specific questions about your exact usage and the equipment that looks good to you.

The bottom line is none of us would say that LandRollers are the right choice...

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you like it here.
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #95
Armadillo

Default Didn't take long for me to "SNIFF THIS OUT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Okay, Kerry, here's how it's gonna be.

if armadillo sniffs this out, he will say something about how outdoor quads are the best ever, and he will USE LOTS OF CAPS in sometimes RANDOM ways. And he will say stuff about A PROPER FORWARD MOUNT and LARGE-HUBBED LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELS and GLUEING SHOES to PLATES.
BillInHouston,
I NEVER said, or even IMPLIED "outdoor quads are the best ever".
What I say is that I am building the BEST EVER Quads for OUTDOOR skating, and compared to the crappy INDOOR skate builds that suck Outside, these ARE the best. They still are, and always will be INFERIOR to inlines though in many key aspects - both SPEED and CLEARING surface imperfections being the main ones.
However, Quads have some advantages too, and certain people will always prefer them - LOW CUT shoes/boots possible and good for weak ankles.
There is no real BEST, it's a matter of what WORKS BEST for YOU (or me).

-Armadillo
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #96
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
BillInHouston,
I NEVER said, or even IMPLIED "outdoor quads are the best ever".
What I say is that I am building the BEST EVER Quads for OUTDOOR skating, and compared to the crappy INDOOR skate builds that suck Outside, these ARE the best.
I can always count on you! Thanks for not letting me down! Keep up the good work and the innovation.
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #97
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post

However, Quads have some advantages too, and certain people will always prefer them -

QUADS have some advantages OUTDOORS?

WHAT would THOSE advantages be?
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #98
Newbie2Blades

Default LandRollers 4 Sale

Ok so I got some rollers for my 44th birthday. They have a wonderful smooth ride however, since I'm a fairly new skater for roller blades, these skates do not work for me. Yes the ride is smooth and they are not like any other skate I've seen around. One day while riding I made my self fall because I could not press hard enough on the stopper to stop me from rolling down a hill; so I made the decision to sit down and take the tumble rather than run in to a parked car/have the car run me over or go into a pond.
I have only worn these skates 4 times. They also don't get a long with my ankles...Oh the pain they give me. My youngest daughter even tried them and she begged me to take them off after one mile of riding on them. The skates are a size 8 women/blue and look brand new. You can see that the wheels on them are used but are still in good condition. Please contact me if you are interested. (ammasdeu@hotmail.com)
Newbie2Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #99
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
QUADS have some advantages OUTDOORS?

WHAT would THOSE advantages be?
One thing is, they stand up by themselves. No ankle strain. Plus a wide contact patch on tha road. work good in the rain. wheels last for years, rather than months. Not to mention, they got style Daddy-O. They don't look like Buck Rodgers just took them off.
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #100
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
One thing is, they stand up by themselves. No ankle strain. Plus a wide contact patch on tha road. work good in the rain. wheels last for years, rather than months. Not to mention, they got style Daddy-O. They don't look like Buck Rodgers just took them off.
Can I chip in here with one small point?

Whisle I agree that Quads can be better for people with weak ankles due to the reasons you posted there is something else to consider:

Wet conditions - you need a pretty soft wheel to skate in the wet.

I use 103a Belair hockey wheels for rink skating and they do not like any amount of moisture and are uncomfortable on all but the smoothest concrete outdoors.

Outdoors I have tried Variflex (approx 84a) wheels and, while they grip well and iron out the bumps well they wear out quickly and feel like skating on chewing gum after the speed of the belairs (with the same bearings).

I am open to suggestions on wheels for outdoor use (that are available in the UK) but I don't want to hijack this thread.
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote