S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM   #41
larryoracing

Smile Yep Rick, Chris is a lot of fun!

I probably enjoy her/lessons more than any other. And that is because for whatever reason we are concentrating on the fun part of skating and those are the elements between the jumps and spins.

Last week, she was helping another girl with her Creative Solo Dance routine and they got real late so I didn't get a lesson...lol!

She wanted to give me a lesson for free for the few minutes we had left, but I said "no, that's OK we will do it next week", which will be in two weeks because the rink will shut down to re-coat the floor.

Chris loves putting the routines together. She came up with this new tool that wraps around your body to teach one to drive down the shoulders into the hips. It's a real neat tool, she got from "Dancing with the Stars".

Best always,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #42
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I probably enjoy her/lessons more than any other. And that is because for whatever reason we are concentrating on the fun part of skating and those are the elements between the jumps and spins.

Last week, she was helping another girl with her Creative Solo Dance routine and they got real late so I didn't get a lesson...lol!

She wanted to give me a lesson for free for the few minutes we had left, but I said "no, that's OK we will do it next week", which will be in two weeks because the rink will shut down to re-coat the floor.

Chris loves putting the routines together. She came up with this new tool that wraps around your body to teach one to drive down the shoulders into the hips. It's a real neat tool, she got from "Dancing with the Stars".

Best always,

Larry O
cool shes a really good person and coach. do you ever see her old freestyle skater Derek Leonard around??
Old September 6th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #43
larryoracing

Smile Rick I don't know to many skaters at the Rink.

And not being in the skating business for the last 40 years means I don't know anybody in the business...LOL!

Quote:
cool shes a really good person and coach. do you ever see her old freestyle skater Derek Leonard around??
But I can ask. She likes answering questions although they may be short.

Fountain Valley is in a rebuilding phase. People and coaches come and go. From what I gathers many skaters have left as well as a few coaches and I think Both Chris and Jackie are new.

All I know for the next few years I'm really lucky to have a lot of talent at my disposal to take lessons from and learn from. Lucky me..lol!

Larry O and best wishes always.
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #44
Derrick

Default Full Mapes Done on Skates (on the carpet)

In my bed room. I have home practice seats now that are just like my rink skates. I did put some outside wheels on them. So I will take the mapes to the garage next.

I stab better in the rink with my left foot, but i come around better on the carpet if I stab with my right. I prolly just do both like I do most everything else.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #45
larryoracing

Smile I learned a cut new little “trick” today in my Freestyle lesson with Chris.

She is always showing me a cute little step to put into my freestyle routine.

She loves putting a freestyle routine together…lol!

This is for skaters who normally jump in the CCW rotation.

1) Pretend like you are going to do a mapes. ROB, toe stop with left foot, but instead of rotating CCW, stab/jump but rotate in the CW direction. In mid air, change from a ROB lean to a LOF lean. Land on the Left skate and push off with the right toe stop…like you were going to do a bunny hop.

2) It’s a cute move and is part of a multi-foot work sequence she is trying to teach me. This is the fun part of skating!

Larry O

Last edited by larryoracing; November 17th, 2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #46
Ancient1

Hi Larry,

I'm a bit confused as to your description. Taking off LOB and using toe stop with left foot is very unusual and I would say hard to imagine or even execute.

I would think you are saying a ROB, with a left Toe which is the normal start of a mapes instead of a LOB with the left toe. If you are taking off with a LOB with a right toe then that is a typical start for a Lutz.

So trying as best I can from a safety point, I would guess you are saying from a take off of a mapes ROB, with a left toe, half rotation in CW instead of CCW landing: Landing on LOF - Is a TOE OB BRACKET with the alternate foot landing.

It is an unusual jump but cool as a footwork jump in combination with other footwork. your instructor seems like someone fun.

Quote:

1) Pretend like you are going to do a mapes. LOB, toe stop with left foot, but instead of rotating CCW, stab/jump but rotate in the CW direction. In mid air, change from a LOB lean to a LOF lean. Land on the Left skate and push off with the right toe stop…like you were going to do a bunny hop.

Larry O
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #47
Derrick

Quote:

She loves putting a freestyle routine together…lol!

This is for skaters who normally jump in the CCW rotation.

1) Pretend like you are going to do a mapes. LOB, toe stop with left foot, but instead of rotating CCW, stab/jump but rotate in the CW direction. In mid air, change from a LOB lean to a LOF lean. Land on the Left skate and push off with the right toe stop…like you were going to do a bunny hop.

2) It’s a cute move and is part of a multi-foot work sequence she is trying to teach me. This is the fun part of skating!

Larry O
I think I may have seen this. Does it give the impression that the skater suddenly becomes disinterested in skating backwards and pops around to do fast forward on a whole new lobe?

BTW Ancient One. I owe you some video as you've always been so helpful to me. I improved my IB spin enough to share my improvements. I also can start a camel now but I just get a little spin cause I don't do the entering successive three turns well. Once in position, I am way fine though. I'm doing it on the LIB. I just start by spiraling LOF and do one three turn into it when my spiral is small enough. My wife will meet me at the rink tonight) I'll see if she'll shoot a little video for me. I suppose if I did that at break neck speed I'd get some spin (and fall down, but the ground is not very far from that position anyway.)
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #48
larryoracing

Smile Hey Jim thanks for listening…lol!

You are right about the ROB take off for the mapes…not the LOB take off.

1) I get so confused these days because I’m taking so many lessons and I’m old and I can barely remember what I’m doing. But all the pros work with me and I want to say they are having fun with me as well.

2) All this stuff is brand new for me. I was telling Chris (Old pro that Ric knows from the old days I guess…lol) That really 40 years ago, I really didn’t have any footwork. I just learned the jumps and spins and then we kind of threw them into a routine. Chris knew what I was talking about ..in the old days we didn’t have as much footwork?

3) The actual foot work (I’m lousy on all the correct definitions for turns..i.e…I was not a figure skater…lol) is something like this.

1) RIF three to ROB

1a) ROB three to RIF

2 Turn ˝ turn to the left and do a spread eagle… RIF-LIF spread eagle

2a) ˝ turn to the left, you are now skating/rolling backwards

3) Stand on right foot and prepare do a mapes.

3a) Left foot back and stab, but rotate ˝ turn in the air in the CW direction.

3b) In the air prepare to land on LOF/right foot back. Land on LOF and push off with right toe top/bunny hop take off/landing maneuver. You are now rolling forward.

4) Perform LOF edge cross-n-front to ROF edge maneuver.

5) Stroke LOF edge and perform LOF three to LIB edge and start doing strong long stretching backwards cross pulls across center of the floor in preparation for next item in my freestyle routine. We are just starting to put a freestyle routine together for me for competition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is what is really strange. I take two lessons in freestyle from two different coaches per week.

What it is coming down to is that Chris is starting to work on my competition freestyle routine. I really didn’t think we would start doing a freestyle routine for another six months…lol!

I kind of just started doing freestyle/starting my 6th month back since returning to skating.

Jackie, a WC Singles skater has been focusing on my jumps and spins. And she really wants me to be prepared, setup wise on a strong LOF edge before performing my axel. She doesn’t want me to get hurt and I’m kind of wild and out of control on the axel. It scares me to death to tell you the truth. On the side I have been working on my double mapes.That jump does not scare me, but I still cannot perform two rotations, falling short at a little past 1.5 revolutions, two footing the landing, but I don’t fall. I got good balance on the mapes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have never taken a freestyle test, Jackie and I have been working for three weeks on my first Freestyle Proficiency test. This 1st freestyle proficiency test is so complicated you would not believe it.

As an example here is the introductory for my first freestyle proficiency test/these are just the beginning intro steps into the first judging item of the test..lol! .

1) Stand in the “T” position. Left skate forward. Right skate behind in a “T”. Look straight ahead. Left hand on left hip/left bent elbow, Right hand on right hip/right elbow bent. Jackie asked me if this was too girlie and I said “Don’t worry about it, I need this kind of showmanship…lol!”.

1a) You are looking forward, but you will step now to the right

1b) Left foot crosses to the right. Now step right foot to the right and plant left toe stop into the floor

1c) . Bring the right hand and curl in front of you. Bring left hand and curl behind the back. On the Left Toe Stop Pivot, pivot/rotate 1 turn CW to the right. Stop.

1d) Now, bring Left hand and curl around your front side of you and bring the right hand and curl behind the back side of you. Step left foot to the left and plant right toe stop into the floor. Rotate/pivot 1 revolution in the CCW direction on the right toe stop and then stop. Hands dropped to your sides.

1e) Now raise both arms above your head into a “V” position. Now bring both hands down to your sides.

1f) Take two steps forward, right foot, then left and perform a 3 turn LIB/RIF upright spin.

That is the first judging item, 3 revolution upright spin. I haven’t even started rolling across the floor yet for Christ Sakes…lol! Can you believe how intricate this is for a 1st freestyle test? Jackie is not worried, she said “Larry you can handle this…lol!”I think this is all for the showmanship I will need when I perform my first freestyle routing in competiton…lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O and we look forwards to Derrick's video!

Last edited by larryoracing; November 17th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.