S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 3rd, 2020, 01:08 AM   #1
LambChopper

Default Heel or not?

If I donít like wearing any type of heel in regular shoes do you think Iíd also prefer a flat skate shoe?

Iíve skated in both, but I canít remember my impressions. The heeled boot skates look terribly uncomfortable. Iíd never be comfortable walking in a heeled boot.

I have no place to try on skates unless you count cheap stuff at the big box store. Iím a noob getting back into skating. I swore off it last time I tried it because I fell and broke my shoulder, but Iíve got the bug again.
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 11:08 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
If I donít like wearing any type of heel in regular shoes do you think Iíd also prefer a flat skate shoe?

Iíve skated in both, but I canít remember my impressions. The heeled boot skates look terribly uncomfortable. Iíd never be comfortable walking in a heeled boot.

I have no place to try on skates unless you count cheap stuff at the big box store. Iím a noob getting back into skating. I swore off it last time I tried it because I fell and broke my shoulder, but Iíve got the bug again.
When I learned to skate all skates had heels that were available to rent. Later I built my skates with very low heels. Never went back to the standard heel. It's what you get used to.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 01:09 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Art skaters use a full heal, racers use no heel, when racing with no heel, you can place your foot down further forward, making a longer more powerful stroke, I prefer a 1/2 heel, the tall heel has its place, no heel is ok, trying all three is a good idea, see which one you feel more balanced with.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 05:35 PM   #4
LambChopper

Thanks to both of you. In walking around I feel unbalanced with any heel. I think Iíll go with no heel skates. Iím not very coordinated anyway, so I need all the advantages I can get.
Old March 7th, 2020, 04:15 PM   #5
FlailingLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
Thanks to both of you. In walking around I feel unbalanced with any heel. I think I’ll go with no heel skates. I’m not very coordinated anyway, so I need all the advantages I can get.
Just fyi, maybe it will help... I am extremely clumsy. Very poor balance, I walk into things, people, all the time. I cant walk straight... I didnt used to be able to balance on one leg AT ALL.

I've been skating since November, in Sure Grip Fame skates (full heel), and my balance has improved significantly since then, and has trickled into everyday life. The things I can do now on skates, I couldnt even comprehend doing before. I really dont think the heel had any impact on my progress. From the first time I put them on, I didnt even notice it having a heel.
FlailingLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2020, 03:04 PM   #6
LambChopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailingLlama View Post
Just fyi, maybe it will help... I am extremely clumsy. Very poor balance, I walk into things, people, all the time. I cant walk straight... I didnt used to be able to balance on one leg AT ALL.

I've been skating since November, in Sure Grip Fame skates (full heel), and my balance has improved significantly since then, and has trickled into everyday life. The things I can do now on skates, I couldnt even comprehend doing before. I really dont think the heel had any impact on my progress. From the first time I put them on, I didnt even notice it having a heel.

Thanks! Iím the same...bumping into things, rocky balance, etc. Thatís good to know your balance overall has improved and makes sense! The Sure Grip Fame skates are on my list.
Old March 8th, 2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Your ankles, their flexibility and natural balance will tell you what is best for you.

As others have said, racing= less heel. Art = full heel(1 inch lift I guess?)

The high heel in art skates forces less bend in the knees/ankles and makes for a straighter skater, ya know that "ellegant" ballet look.

Without the heel, the body develops the leans and such that the heel normally supplies. Some people cant do it though with flat soles.
Old March 9th, 2020, 12:27 AM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I don't like heeled boots. I like flat. I have flat feet and skating with a heel, a high heel, puts too much weight on my forefoot. I remember after a hard night skating my old Fame skates, my legs were tired, and my forefoot hurt a lot. A low heel is not bad. I skate a bont now. No heel, and very light and spare. Nothing in that boot that is not needed. Very light.