S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #41
mikeyb

Mark, that's a great 26.2 mile time. Very impressive. Did I read it right, that you do this only once per week? Does that give you the extra energy to keep this average speed for this marathon distance?
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #42
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
Mark, that's a great 26.2 mile time. Very impressive. Did I read it right, that you do this only once per week? Does that give you the extra energy to keep this average speed for this marathon distance?
I only do the 26.2 once a week. And yes, and no to the energy. By the night time I've already done 6-12 miles in the morning but at a slow relaxed pace. I don't feel refreshed as if I skated in the morning, but I feel that I can sustain the HR for the duration. I also started to use GU, or similar products, which has helped a lot to even out how I feel.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #43
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Mark "Holy Crap"!
Thanks! It'll be a while before I do that again. The stars were aligned just right.
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #44
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Some how I managed to post to the "wrong" thread...

Jessica -- Congrats on the Tri!

Aug 13 Eddy for 10 more hours!

Sunday!

New entry page

Aug 14 Off. I'm working from home on the couch taking pain killers.
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #45
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Jessica, have you ever tried ibuprofen before a skate? I'm not sure if there are any adverse effects, but I know it has helped me minimize foot pain in the past with no apparent impact on my performance (other than being able to concentrate on skating, not the pain) I have neuromas in both of my feet that still act up from time to time even in my customs. When they get cranking, it feels like a white hot knife in my feet.
Yup - I used to down the stuff like crazy until I read it was really bad to do so before an intense workout. I wish I still had the article. Basically it's not so good for your kidneys and can cause permanant damage. I took a Tylenol instead but it didn't do a damn thing.

It's San Antonio, FL btw. A wee little speck on the map, hardly even a town. Never been to SATX. Austin is lovely though
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #46
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
It's San Antonio, FL btw. A wee little speck on the map, hardly even a town. Never been to SATX. Austin is lovely though
Oh well, never been to the FL one
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #47
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
I'm working from home on the couch taking pain killers.

What a drag it is getting old...

Jess, if you can dig up that article that would be cool or if anyone else knows a resource. I have a buddy thats a doc, that got me doing it, go figure.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #48
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Found it! Just had to look a little

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12992
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #49
speedysktr
President of Everything

thanks... (just found out there is a 10 character minimum per message)

Last edited by speedysktr; January 11th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #50
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Default Que Pasa?

As previously stated by Jessica, much has transpired while the Forum was down. I'm still in the midst of a work cycle (60hr slam), but opted to try and bring the board up to date, without boring anyone with too many details. The rehash is 2 weeks vacation up north with no intense skating, total of about 39 miles the whole time, mostly tiny jots of 3 - 6 miles. Once back started to try and get it all back, I believe I started on 100's, and just couldn't click. Not knowing if the problem was insufficient oxygenation due to donating two units of RBC's, the period of time without serious skating, or the set-up, but I was sucking bad with most runs averaging 12 - 13.3 mph on 100's over 119 miles in the next 2 weeks. From there I switched to Hyper Neutron 90's and did 32 miles the next week in 3 jaunts running from 12.6 - 14.2 mph. Still not happy, and definitely into experimentation I went to 4x88 for a week and did 83 miles in 5 outings running between 13.6 & 15.3, the 13.6 being a 36 mile trek in a relatively "relaxed" manner. That led me to 3 more excursions in the next 4 days on 5x80's doing a total of 48 miles, 36 on hills with speeds from 14.3 to 14.7. All of this to bring me to the conclusion that, at least until after A2A I'll be running 5x80. The speeds were comparable to the 4x88 set-up for me, loads better than the 90's or 100's, but with the added benefit of 10 points off my average HR to settle in the 155 range. That brings us up to date. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #51
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Actually felt really "phat" about the past week. Did 108 miles over 6 outings in 7 days averaging 14.5mph. This week I'm going to try 104 miles in 4 trips.
Most recently:
Aug 12, Saturday: Suncoast Parkway Trail, me, Napalm, Jess & John (her 88's, me 5x80)
Jessica and John J did 44, Nay and I took 1/2 the trip. The only way I can keep up with those two is if I break their kneecaps or let them wear themselves out before I start. Napalm at least seems to be able to keep them in view, I usually have to take a cab home. This time as follows.
25 miles in 1:44:49 for an average mile of 4:12, average speed 14.3mph, max speed 26.7mph. Best mile 3:32 @ 17mph, worst mile 4:45 (x2) @ 12.6mph. 7 miles in 28:46, marathon in 55:14, 7 sub 4's. Average HR 156/max 176.
We both felt good enough about this excursion to try it again the 26th and see if we can do the whole 44 with them. Assuming we pull that one off we're signing ourselves on for their 66 mile Labor Day weekend event. JB
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #52
speedysktr
President of Everything

jibs, way to go. Clocked in exactly 100 last week myself.

Here's what I've been up to in the interim:
July 27th I went out with Gless and knocked out a nice 21 miler on the roads in about 1:05. I had exactly 1:08 on the watch, but there was a little down time while he was catching up. We agreed that it was about 3-4 minutes. He was biking and most of the time I was off the front or beside him.
July 30th In SC, 6 mile skate 20 minute run. (rain)
July 31st 15 miles
August 2 25 miles. One nice run pacing near a bike, not drafting, guessing we were averaging 24-25 for that little stretch. Another cyclist told me I was amazing. It made me feel good because he meant it.
August 6th Back home from vaykay, 22.5 miles with gless-felt like crap, fell on Ewell Gibbons breakfast.
August 8th 13 mile skate, with one solid 3 mile run followed by 38 mile ride that beat me up pretty good.
August 9th 10 mile tempo run with the indoor crowd, I was beat, but managed to take it to them.
That brings us up to the start of the new forum.
August 12th 55 on roads 3:23
August 13th 90 min indoor
August 14th off
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #53
NightWind

Quote:
Aug 13 90 minute indoor practice
Hi!
Sorry for a foolish question!)) What kind of practice you mean? Anything special for skaters?
It's been raining here quite a lot as well, so it'd be a great idea to do something indoors!) A really wet and cold summer.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #54
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
jibs, way to go. Clocked in exactly 100 last week myself.
Thanks. I'm hoping to crack a hunnert a week for the rest of this month, increasing the length of each run as I go.

Quote:
fell on Ewell Gibbons breakfast.
I LOVE THAT! Another skill I need to learn though, I've been heavy on the asphalt lately and even had to wear one knee pad and one elbow pad this weekend just so I didn't hit the exposed bone tissue. Still fell and bashed my unprotected hip.
JB
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #55
speedysktr
President of Everything

Hi Nightwind, are you new? Some people have changed their names since the reboot. You know who you are, moto !
Indoor practice is indoor speed practice. Check around at your local rinks and see if they have a speed team and what the practice times are and how open they are. Sometimes they have beginner speed practices. Regular speed practices can be a little intense and intimidating sometimes.

Jibs, you should like it, that was a little jon b. tribute, brotha.

Hat's off to everyone who has taken it to the next level this year
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #56
NWGlenn

DaveMorgan: Still learning the new forum...couldn't make your quote come up in speedie's post.

Quote:
My point exactly. I'd assumed it was solo when making the above statement. What I don't know is the amount of hills in Glenn's route. If you were pack skating on the exact same course, typically there'd be an automatic reduction in time assuming it was a cooperative pack etc. Factor a more challenging course and it levels the playing field again. Glenn, I'm predicting that you'll be ecstatic when you roll into Piedmont Park.
That trail/track is 1.4mi long for 2.8 mi laps (according to the county: ). It's got one hill at the far end about twice as long and high as freeway ramp up to an overpass. The grade starts below the freeway level and ends at the overpass road. Yes, the whole thing is done solo, no rest stops and pit stops would be reported.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #57
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Mark, Again thanks for the Eddy workshop pics. Fast clicking on full page format was almost like slo-mo video. You must have one fast camera and huge storage capacity. I liked the water skyline shots of Seattle. It reminded me of my Vancouver vacation last July. Again, many thanks.

Jon B., I'm also skating on 5x80's now. After the Jax-Baldwin skate on 5x90's I switched the the lighter Bont Vaypor boot and 80's for Buttars half marathon and plan to skate them next Sunday at Ft. DeSoto's 10K. The light setup and quick acceleration suit my summer-time taste to a tee. I'll start working on the 84's and 90's for the Fall after Sunday.

Ken

LezSk8 Central Florida!
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #58
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Attended the Beach Bladers of South Florida picnic on Sunday. Lots of skaters showed up, but not as much as last year's. I did a total 15 laps, which was 27 miles. A few laps slow and alone, but most with others, ans some quick ....... After skating, enjoyed some nice BBQ and stuffs.......
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #59
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
That trail/track is 1.4mi long for 2.8 mi laps (according to the county: ). It's got one hill at the far end about twice as long and high as freeway ramp up to an overpass. The grade starts below the freeway level and ends at the overpass road. Yes, the whole thing is done solo, no rest stops and pit stops would be reported.

Sounds like Washington has got something going on. Good stuff! It is clear that you have intensity for your workouts. It would be easy to call the workout toast with short loops. What is the motto for Washington? It seems that the Northwest and the Southeast is where all the skating mojo is these days. Giving Florida a run for the title of most intense skaters. Good stuff!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #60
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Jon B., I'm also skating on 5x80's now. After the Jax-Baldwin skate on 5x90's I switched the the lighter Bont Vaypor boot and 80's for Buttars half marathon and plan to skate them next Sunday at Ft. DeSoto's 10K. The light setup and quick acceleration suit my summer-time taste to a tee. I'll start working on the 84's and 90's for the Fall after Sunday.KenLezSk8 Central Florida!
Funny thing is Ken, I would have never figured the 5x80's to be a viable option. Wouldn't have been adverse to playing with them, but never imagined they would become my primary choice. I'm going to stick with them until after A2A but I'll probably make it back to 100's by the springtime. We shall see. Jury is still out about us at Fort Desoto. I've got the time off and would love to go, but one of my sons is coming to visit and I think Sunday is the day he scheduled for us. I'm hoping maybe he'll decide to come later in the day so we can do Desoto in the morning and catch him in the afternoon. Fort Desoto last year was the first "sanctioned" event Napalm and I ever did and it would be nice to see the improvement in our times over the same race. Jon.