S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 5th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #1
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default May be returning to your quad ranks soon...

...as I just ordered a pair of Labeda Voodoo speed skates on sale for $89 (MSRP $200). Yes, this is on the cheap end for me but I was curios if I could even skate on quads anymore. I was an expert skater on quads until about 25 years ago when I made the switch to inline skates and never put another quad on since then. My last pair of quads were not all that fancy either and i put a million rink and outdoor miles on them before I just outgrew them. Remember those Jogger sneaker skates with blue suede shoes and yellow trim and wheels? They did have alloy frames at least - cast of course. These new ones have nylon frames but thankfully I only weigh 150lbs at most - so not too worried.

This is what I ordered. If the boots don't fit I have something in the closet that will likely work.

Will be very strange I am sure after 25 years of non-stop speed, hockey, freestyle slalom, and distance skating on inlines of all types. I have 2500 miles on inlines so far in 2017. I skate A LOT!
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #2
Dekindy

Welcome back and good skating!
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

BOOM!!!! Ha ha ha. That's so awesome. I did the same thing. Started quad skating again after 30 years!

Each time you go to the rink, bring both skates. That way you can practice quad skating, but if you're not that great yet, you can throw on your inlines and really let the dog off the leash. At first I couldn't really build a sweat on my quads, and found it frustrating, then I'd throw on my inlines and tear it up.

Now it's the joy of my existence. There's a much bigger quad skating community than inline, it will really open some doors for you, just give it time and effort.

Also congratulations on being well rounded. SICK SKATES BTW!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #4
fierocious1

Default I did the opposite

I skated quads when I was young. Restarted skating about 8 years ago on quads, then tried to go to inline speed. It worked for a while but I could never get the workout from the inline that I could from quads. I skated inlines for nearly 2 years, without putting on quads again. Then my knees could not take the inline skating so I had to quit and go back to quads. But no loss, lots more fun on quads. It has taken quite a while to fully convert back to quads. I still catch myself putting excess pressure on the rear of the skates from time to time.
My old setup had been disassembled so a total rebuild was in order when I came back to quads. I missed quads a bunch.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
There's a much bigger quad skating community than inline, it will really open some doors for you, just give it time and effort.
For sure there is more action on the Quad Skating section of this forum than anywhere else I hang out on SkateLog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I still catch myself putting excess pressure on the rear of the skates from time to time.
This is my biggest concern - going on my arse from too much pressure on the rear wheels out of habit. So I started with quads that push the rear wheels as far back as possible. Still gonna screw up no doubt.

Thanks All! Look forward to hanging with you folks.
Old October 5th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
For sure there is more action on the Quad Skating section of this forum than anywhere else I hang out on SkateLog!

This is my biggest concern - going on my arse from too much pressure on the rear wheels out of habit. So I started with quads that push the rear wheels as far back as possible. Still gonna screw up no doubt.

Thanks All! Look forward to hanging with you folks.
Just set the axle about 1/2" to 1" behind the ankle bone. Keep the front axle ahead of the front ball of your foot about 1/2" or more and you will be good to go. You will adapt, breaking habits are just part of it. I carried over quad skating habits for quite a while, even after about 2 years of skating inline only, in panic mode I would go back to quad moves.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Just set the axle about 1/2" to 1" behind the ankle bone. Keep the front axle ahead of the front ball of your foot about 1/2" or more and you will be good to go. You will adapt, breaking habits are just part of it. I carried over quad skating habits for quite a while, even after about 2 years of skating inline only, in panic mode I would go back to quad moves.
Hey, Thanks!

I'll be fine. I made the transition from quads to 5-wheel speed skates in 2 hours. Skated 15 miles around the city, on streets, with bridges, on Day 2. It was a Sunday morning so traffic was light to none. I wasn't great, but I could do the basics: Go, turn, slalom, T-stop. I am adaptable and dangerously fearless. And I will pad up.