S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 30th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Kckershovel

Default I'm in!!! First post.... it's a long one new skates.

Okay sorry if the title is slightly annoying but after reading the forum for weeks and being super excited to come back to skating after almost 20 years I finally got my login and I'm excited for my first post. Hello group my name is Nathan and I like to skate. I didn't know the name for the skating I used to do and still enjoy however I am a jam/rythem-shuffle skater.

Bitd my favorite skates were a well used pair of 295's with lazer plate. I also had a 595 with proline plate. I much preferred the 295 lazer combo. I am now older bad knees from my second love bmx bicycle riding and much heavier 200lbs. I have been debating over what skates to build. I had lots of questions for the forum however I couldn't wait any longer. Just today I ordered my new skates.

Boot: all white bont quad racer 9.5 I'm a euro 43 I hope they fit.

Plate: I went with what I call a poor mans Snyder imperial...... ala sure grip cyclone nts plate. Da45 trucks 7mm axles adjustable pivot ball yellow urethane super cushions.

Wheels were tuff to choose and I'll probably buy others but I'm going to start with radar varsity plus white wheels and qube 8 ball bearings.

I would love to hear comments about my skate build from the forum good or bad.... I couldn't find definitive information on the axle to axle measurement of the nts cyclone plates. I ordered it in a 6 and i think it should have a 6.4-6.5 inch axle spacing fingers crossed. The 295 lazer combo I had way back then had a short plate. I don't plan to go Aussie forward with it but basically putting the front wheels directly under ball of foot and letting the rear take care of its self lol. I plan to make a rubber gasket of sorts to go between the plate and the boot to take care of the rivit plate to bont boot issue. Okay I think this is long enough for my first post.
Kckershovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #2
Kckershovel

Correction all black bont quad racer. I just received an email and bont is out of white for 4-5 weeks and closed from oct.1-8th. Hopefully they can get my black boots out before their holiday.
Old September 30th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Hey Nathan. Welcome to Skatelog.

My kind of guy..... going da45. LOL It is a bit of a religion to some of us here. The only note I would have on your build is, you might want to start out on purple cushions. You'll get a lot of action out of the DA45, but you know already, coming from a Lazer. Yellow might be a bit much to start until you ankles build up some.

I skate a white bont 43/9.5. My foot naturally is a 10.5 in US size, and it fits me great. I have a short forward Invader DA45. Love it. I especially love the fact that I am running one of the cheapest Sure Grip plates, with all of the goodies of a top end plate. Adjustable pivot pin, urethane custions, delrin pivot cup. My Lowly Invader runs with the best out there.
Old September 30th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Kckershovel

That's why I went yellow cushions over the blue. I figure it gives me one softer or I can always go harder. I used to run my lazer so loose the trucks flopped and I would occasionally get wheelbite. I remember one of the last times I skated them I tightened the rear trucks a tad after they put me on my ass twice from the bite while skating backwards. (When I rythem skate backwards I like to carve back and forth a lot. I can't really describe it but it was a popular backwards skate style back then. (Early 90's). Back then I knew nothing of kingpin angle just that I liked the way my 295 lazer combo skated better than anything else. I always thought it was the short plate but now I think it was a combo of short plate and 45 degree trucks. My feet outgrew those boots. I crammed my feet in them for as long as I could. Took insole out and loosened the toe box laces all the way. But finally they were to tight to skate.

Since the plate was already short on that boot I didn't think I could dare mount them to a bigger one. I sold them and bought a used 595 with labeda proline combo with full length plate and no matter how I adjusted them I just never liked the way they skated. I chocked it up to the plate being to long but again now I think it was a combo of platelength and kingpin angle. My old home rink closed a few years back and the remaining rink is smaller so I definitely feel the da45 will be much better for where I will skate most of the time.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the reply.
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

"When I rythem skate backwards I like to carve back and forth a lot."

That style pretty much defines my skating. I am a rhythm skater, but I don't stay in one place. I cruise around in and out of traffic backwards. The well fitting Bont gives you direct control of the plate. Lots of fun action. Yeah. That is the ticket.
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Kckershovel

I'll have to take a few videos when I get back on the rink. What I call jam skating is either staying I. One spot rolling back and forth mostly on my toes and turning not doing any of the breakdance moves more toe dancing in one spot. I also do some of the toe jam style moves while rolling forward down the straightaway in the middle of shuffle or rythem skating. I'm disappointed the rink I have available is smaller almost feels like no straightaway to do that on.

My old rink used to discourage jam skating and wouldn't allow it in the middle of the rink. They sometimes tolerated it near the dj booth. We used to have what we called shadow lines with two different styles depending on the speed of the song. There were even a few girls that were good that would shadow the backwards back and forth carving style almost like couples skating. Some good times those were. I'm so excited to go back and relearn all the moves I had and expand on my style from there.

Last edited by Kckershovel; September 30th, 2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Phone auto mess up
Old October 1st, 2017, 05:43 AM   #7
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Welcome mate.
Good to see new blood in here.
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Kckershovel

Thanks. I'm glad to be a member. If it weren't for the forum I would have never heard of bont boots or learned about being able to build the cyclone plate with da45 trucks and urethane cushions. This forum helped me go nts as well as I had always ran a plate with the little dance plug in the toe stop hole up until now.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 12:12 PM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kckershovel View Post
Thanks. I'm glad to be a member. If it weren't for the forum I would have never heard of bont boots or learned about being able to build the cyclone plate with da45 trucks and urethane cushions. This forum helped me go nts as well as I had always ran a plate with the little dance plug in the toe stop hole up until now.
Lots of info on this forum. Lots of one off stuff here too. Like my DA45 flip trucks. Lots of goodies and where to get it. It may take you a while to get through it, you may never get through it all. Skaters are constantly falling victim to SEDS.... it spreads and spreads... contaminating all in a household then spreading to others...
Welcome to SLF
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Kckershovel

Good news my boots shipped. Bad news the plates were going to be the wrong size and now Iím not sure whatís happening.

I told the company I ordered skates from I wanted cyclone nts plates with da45 trucks and I needed the axle to axle spacing to be a minimum of 6.4 and a maximum of 6.8 and I said I thought that would be either a 4 or a 5 plate size. They said they called sure grip and a size 6 plate would be 6.5 so I said to ship it.

I didnít feel right about the answer I got because of what I had read on this forum I still felt like I should be getting a size 4-5. I contacted the company I ordered from they were able to stop my order from sure grip befor it shipped as now sure grip says a size 6 would be over 7Ē axle to axle. I was told they were going to check a size 4 and get back to me. I have yet to hear from anyone.

Iím bummed I already paid for the plates and now I donít know what Iím getting or if anything is on its way. I wish I had gotten my registration to this site sooner and that I could have ordered from someone on here.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:44 PM   #11
Kckershovel

The saga continues. Retailer got back with me and let me know that no nts cyclones in size 4 exist to be purchased at this time. So plan b...

I bought xk-4 45 size 4 plates used, Da45 7mm trucks and matching pivot ball cups, white independent urethane cushions 10mm titanium bar stock that I will make my own ti king pin out of and ti nuts. I will put the plate in the mill and give it the nts/royal trim so to speak then reassemble with my custom ti king pin da trucks and urethane cushions. Iíll send pics when done. Parts are all on the way!
Old October 5th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #12
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Man, what an ordeal.

Please let us know how this all turns out. Hopefully a happy ending!

Oh yeah.....WELCOME!
Old October 5th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #13
Kckershovel

Bonts showed up today Iím eating them now in the house to start the break in process. I have to say I think they fit very true to euro size. Iím a euro 43 in cycling shoes and Birkenstock and the bont 9.5 euro 43 fits great. So very pleased with the boots.

All the other parts are on the way. Itís funny I thought I would wait on the bonts the longest and they were here first.

So the build will go as follows.

Boot bont quad racer 9.5
Plate xk-4 size 4 da45 white skateboard cushions custom ti king pin and lock nuts.
Wheels white radar varsity plus wheels.
Qube 8 bearings.

More to come.
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #14
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Photos at some point, right??
Old October 6th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #15
Kckershovel

Photos??? Absolutely just as soon as the real fun begins!
Old October 6th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #16
Kckershovel

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...s4osnogpm.jpeg

So after trying everything I could think of that’s the best I can do for a photo. I don’t want to pay photobucket monthly and I don’t have MySpace or Facebook. Any other ideas?
Old October 6th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kckershovel View Post
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...s4osnogpm.jpeg

So after trying everything I could think of thatís the best I can do for a photo. I donít want to pay photobucket monthly and I donít have MySpace or Facebook. Any other ideas?
I did this to see it, took off the end of the link.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/kckershovel/
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #18
Kckershovel

Sorry Iíll figure out a better way to post pics. Itís just a pic of the bont boot. I wore it around the house today and did some hair dryer adjustments to the heel cup. I have to say they fit great. Now just waiting on the rest of my parts to arrive.
Old October 6th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #19
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I did navigate to the photo, somehow. Can't wait to see wheels on that thing!
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #20
Kckershovel

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...&__tn__=%2B%3EDid first rough assembly of my skates as all my parts came in the mail today except for my ti nuts. Now to figure out photo posting....