S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Tuesday Girl

Default Riedell R-Fit insoles

Does anyone have or tried the Riedell R-fit insoles in their quad skates? I've been trying to break in and "new" pair of skate boots since last winter. I have a spot on my heel that rubs every week, and the toes on my right foot seem to lose circulation. Getting that last half hour of a 2 1/2 hour session has been difficult when my feet start hurting.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #2
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
I have a spot on my heel that rubs every week, and the toes on my right foot seem to lose circulation.
While I have not tried those insoles I have had both those problems. And have seen many others having those pains.

Toe numbness is usually related to the laces being too tight in the lower part of the boot. Many times they are so tight trying to stop heel slippage that causes side/back of heel blisters. For me the solution was different lacing and wider laces to have slightly different lace tension in the bottom vs the top of the boot. I use over under lacing. Solve this problem first!

Heel slippage can be a bit more difficult. In some cases the boot simply does not fit your foot and no matter what you do there will be a problem. For me the solution was different socks. Cotton socks are extremely abrasive. I shifted to merino wool based socks. Smartwool made my all time favorites but as their quality faded I have moved to Point 6. The cushion and lack of abrasion of these socks made raw spots on my feet go away. My feet are much happier now and I tend to wear these type of socks all the time resulting in more comfortable feet year round.

The thickness and shape of your insoles can play a major part on boot fit. You might want to experiment with insoles and other materials to try and get your heel to fit better in the heel cup of your boot.

Good luck! Skating shouldn't result in foot pain and rawness!

Old September 24th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default I have a set of the afore mentioned insoles.

Too thick for my needs even w/ no additional parts.

One of the tricks you can use on your sk8s is multiple laces. 4 sets of short laces on a high top is not unheard of and allows the sk8r to adjust localized areas to fit. It could even minimize the heel issues but I doubt it will solve them.

A neoprene ankle brace or similar may be just what you need to take up the extra space in the heel.
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #4
fierocious1

I use 2mm ezfits with ironman triatlon short top socks over them. No abrasions or blisters anymore. Snug fit in the heel. The thick ezfits in my size were justoo tight and tended to put my toes to sleep.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Iím a big fan of orthotics, not the soft gummy type the hard athletic ones, you (well, a professional, itís worth it) heat them then stand on them and your foot is imprinted, they are thin so no volume lost, but, they hold your foot, your heel has a pocket, it doesnít slide, your weight is held by the whole sole, you have better balance.
The flat reidell boot filler simply covers the bolt holding the plate to the boot.

Leaving the bottom two or three eyelets empty wonít cut blood off.

Ultra thin wool socks take up less volume.

I always put lotion on my feet, it absorbes heat until itís gone(the lotion), it softens and expands leather, my icon is a picture of my 9.5ís in new 9ís, with to much lotion, now they fit like gloves,
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Tuesday Girl

Smile

Thanks for your suggestions! I am on my way to solving my issues. I have been a big fan of the 2mm Ez-fit booties for years and always wear them. But they weren't working on that heel spot for my new boots. I ordered Leukotape from Amazon (awesome hiking blister tape) that I put on that small spot, then a round sponge skate pad, then my Ez-fit bootie. A week ago I purchased some thin wool socks to wear over that. The first night with the new socks, things were much better. I ended up ordering the Protalus T100 series ($80) insoles. They are designed to align ankles with knees, etc. creating more energy! The insoles fit perfectly in my boots and I tried them out for the first time this week and I loved them! My skating felt "crisper". Even one of my skate partners noticed a different feel/smoothness in my skating. Usually after 2 hours with the new boots my feet were "done", but I'd press on the last 1/2 hour....because I'm nuts! However, with the new insoles, my toes didn't start getting weird until the last 10 minutes! Progress! The heel rubbing didn't flare up at all..but I did have lots of protection covering the spot. So, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes each week. There is a 90 day free trial period on these insoles, but I am glad to pay the price if they are working! Yay!
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #7
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
For me the solution was different socks. Cotton socks are extremely abrasive. I shifted to merino wool based socks.
This is KEY. Cotton socks are terrible. They hold moisture like a bath towel which softens your skin over time, making rubbed spots more likely to become blistered or raw. Cotton socks do not offer any padding, especially when they get sweated through. Use them as rags.

Merino "worsted" wool starts out very soft as the wool has been de-scaled. But over time and many washings they get rough. I use 100% acrylic socks made by "Worlds Softest Socks" and my feet are narrow enough to double them up in two of my skate boots. I use one thicker pair of socks in my tighter boots made by RealTree.

Also, bring an extra pair or two of socks and change them every hour if you still have issues.

Remember the "ABC" rule for socks and underwear in general - Anything But Cotton! Unless you like athlete's foot and jock itch fungus, yeast, smelly shoes, and blistered heels. Wool or synthetics that wick moisture away from your skin and do not lose their properties when sweaty are the answer.

Experiment with brands and thickness. Don't go for the cheapest thing you can find! And never, ever cotton "tube" socks. Get something shaped like a foot from the git-go with flat stitching across the toes.