S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1
negster

Default Boss Swiss Bearings

Are these boss swiss bearings any good? They look very much like the old school WIB swiss bearings I have. Ill give them a roll here soon I was just wondering. They feel very smooth in my hands but they are brand new.

Chris
negster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2
niteridr95

same exact bearings as a bones swiss and a WIB... normally the brownish cage with metal shield means before 1990 in age.... atleast for bones that was how it went... then they went to bones swiss gold till 1999.... i have a set of these a set of NOS bones swiss from 1985 and a set of WIB all skate the exact same.... those look to be in great shape too....

you ever sell them or something id love to have them
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #3
intgra2ner
SV Track-day addict

The BSB swiss are by far my favorite of the swiss variety of bearings-I like them better than Bones swiss. They can get noisy after abuse but they still roll like hell!

The newer BSB swiss have red nylon cages. Easiest bearing to spot IMO.
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #4
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by intgra2ner View Post
The BSB swiss are by far my favorite of the swiss variety of bearings-I like them better than Bones swiss. They can get noisy after abuse but they still roll like hell!

we arent talking new bearings though here... i have a few sets of this style... you can see they were made by the exact same company and just have diffrent shields...
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Had a set of Boss Swiss in my inlines back in the early 90's. They lasted one speed practice and one open session before the slop got so bad the wheels started rubbing on the frame. Sold them to a session quad skater that used them for years afterwords swearing they were the best bearings ever. He was happy with them.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

I was never able to get my Boss swiss to roll as well and as quiet as my Bones. Mine have red cages.. I would say they are good with better being Bones.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Tripler
Easy Roller

I love my bones reds. They make a little bit of noise but theyre aint nothin stoppin them
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Quote:

Yup, I have a set of BSB, and they do make a bit of noise, but roll real where where it counts, underload.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #9
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Quote:

Yup, I have a set of BSB swiss, and they do make a bit of noise, but roll real where where it counts, underload.
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #10
quadlover
80's Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
same exact bearings as a bones swiss and a WIB... normally the brownish cage with metal shield means before 1990 in age.... atleast for bones that was how it went... then they went to bones swiss gold till 1999.... i have a set of these a set of NOS bones swiss from 1985 and a set of WIB all skate the exact same.... those look to be in great shape too....

you ever sell them or something id love to have them
I have some Bones Swiss from somewhere around 1985. The have a semi transparent blackish cage in them. The sheilds read SWISS WIB 627. Not sure of the number as I am not looking at them. They are the best bearings Ive ever owned IMO. I have some SWISS BSB's for my inlines and they are comparable, but I like my Bones Swiss better. Though that may just be due to the fact that I like my quads better then my inlines.
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #11
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlover View Post
I have some Bones Swiss from somewhere around 1985. The have a semi transparent blackish cage in them. The sheilds read SWISS WIB 627. Not sure of the number as I am not looking at them. They are the best bearings Ive ever owned IMO. I have some SWISS BSB's for my inlines and they are comparable, but I like my Bones Swiss better. Though that may just be due to the fact that I like my quads better then my inlines.

those arent bones swiss they are WIB swiss.... but from every way i can tell they are the same exact bearing just a diffrent shield.... as long as they have that transparent brownish cage
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #12
quadlover
80's Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
those arent bones swiss they are WIB swiss.... but from every way i can tell they are the same exact bearing just a diffrent shield.... as long as they have that transparent brownish cage
Are you sure of that. I remember purchasing them back in the day. They were packed in 2 bearing tubes. They were then in a white box with a red cross that said Bones Swiss on the box. I bought them from my pro shop back in the day. Do you think they were packed wrong? I paid somewhere between 60 and 80 bucks for the set. I love the bearings anyway but they were packaged as Bones Swiss. The cage looks closer to black with the naked eye, but when shining a light throght they look brownish in color.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #13
niteridr95

Quote:
Are you sure of that. I remember purchasing them back in the day. They were packed in 2 bearing tubes. They were then in a white box with a red cross that said Bones Swiss on the box. I bought them from my pro shop back in the day. Do you think they were packed wrong? I paid somewhere between 60 and 80 bucks for the set. I love the bearings anyway but they were packaged as Bones Swiss. The cage looks closer to black with the naked eye, but when shining a light throght they look brownish in color.
well see i thought that the WIBs were swiss for a while too until some here said they wernt...WIB is its own company.... i couldnt tell a diffrence between the new bones or the new WIBs i got when i compared them and they look exactly the same... both i can see were made from the same company (maybe WIB??) and then packaged with a diffrent shield... my bones swiss from that era said Bones Swiss Bearings on them and were new still in the box from mid 1980s... verified threw the skating rink at which found them with a reicept wraped around them showing how much they were and when they ordered.... i can tell diffrence skating or looking at the bearings(other then the shield) between all 3 brands of that era making these metal shielded bearings
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #14
quadlover
80's Speed

From my research WIB is a Swiss bearing manufacturer. I believe that they made the Bones bearings that were labeled as Swiss. I am just kind of confused why my bearings do not have a shield saying Bones on them. They were packed as such. Maybe the lot I bought had the wrong shields on them? Anyway they do appear to be the same bearings other than the shield.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #15
niteridr95

Quote:
From my research WIB is a Swiss bearing manufacturer. I believe that they made the Bones bearings that were labeled as Swiss. I am just kind of confused why my bearings do not have a shield saying Bones on them. They were packed as such. Maybe the lot I bought had the wrong shields on them? Anyway they do appear to be the same bearings other than the shield.
thats pretty much the same conclusion i had... maybe they used the WIB swiss for some time before their name was put on them??
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #16
quadlover
80's Speed

I believe that is correct. That is exactly what it says if you look on the Bones history page on their website. It says that they partnered with a small Swiss bearing manufacturer, presumably WIB to make their Swiss bearings initially, maybe still I am not sure. They also say the patnered with a Chinese bearing co. to make Bones reds.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #17
niteridr95

Quote:
I believe that is correct. That is exactly what it says if you look on the Bones history page on their website. It says that they partnered with a small Swiss bearing manufacturer, presumably WIB to make their Swiss bearings initially, maybe still I am not sure. They also say the patnered with a Chinese bearing co. to make Bones reds.
yea never read that.... i got comfirmation from bones that the silver shield was made from the start to 1990 then they switched to the gold shield till 2000 when the black shield was put in.... i never asked about the WIB.... but im guessing BOSS did the same thing... meaning that BOSS BONES and WIB are all the same bearing... no mater what people think that is the fact
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #18
quadlover
80's Speed

WIB did not make a bearing for skates until partnering with Bones. Therefore any skate bearings from WIB are made using the Bones design. Therefore all WIB skate bearing are Bones Swiss bearings. That seems to be logical. Thanks for the help.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #19
Iggy
DGS Racing

I had a set of Boss Swiss in the early to mid 90s. I hated them. They slowed down and got really crappy feeling after about a month. I clean and reoiled them and it didn't help. I chucked them and bought a set of China Bones and the were 10x better.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #20
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I had a set of Boss Swiss in the early to mid 90s. I hated them. They slowed down and got really crappy feeling after about a month. I clean and reoiled them and it didn't help. I chucked them and bought a set of China Bones and the were 10x better.
do you know where these were chucked??? lol.... i dont think 20 years later is to hard to find them??? lol.... i love these bearings i have a few sets.... ive sold off everything else and i had alot of bearings