S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 21st, 2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up A vintage plate resurrected.

I have been looking for this plate in a 6 1/3" wheelbase for over 12 years and finally scored one. A mid 60s vintage Chicago Futura. It took a lot lot of work to get back to the original shiny state as the previous owner/s had been less than gentle to it over the years.

From what I have been able to determine, this was Chicago's last effort as a real USA sk8 builder. When I got these it was obvious the folks @ the factory were having a bad day as all 4 pivot pin holes in the trucks were offset to the upper right corner of the neck of the truck forging. Fortunately, I had some spares that had been properly machined so I put in new axles and off we went.

OK, the Harry's studs king pins are not OG. Neither are the Bont urethane cushions or the aluminum retainers, but with the king pin lock nuts being in short supply, I decided to NOT wrench on them any more than necessary.

So what does one do with a 50 year old boat ancre of a sk8 plate??

See below.

I scored the shoes (for this purpose) a couple of years back when visiting Roanoke VA for the Southeastern Skate Supply trade show. Not wishing to kill myself, I did not install the 45mm phenolic slider wheels I have lying on the shelf. Went with some Radar Varsity plus wheels and some vintage Japanese NTN bearings.

So the end question... How do they sk8?? They sk8 fine for what they are. I have never been in a pair of men's dress shoes that I though were comfy and these are no exception. The plates work as expected. The wheels were a bit of a surprise though. They rolled very well (similar to 97 Turbos) which was expected but had more grip on Neville's floor than I had expected. The heel was no issue @ all until I switch back to my Bonts. Took me a few minutes to get may balance back. (Something about that flat sole on a short forward mount I guess. ) All in all an acceptable sk8 for fun rolling. The funny thing... I got more compliments on these than any pair I have ever rolled there. Even had an advanced degree art student from CMU taking pix..

Old January 21st, 2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Armadillo

The colorway of the shoes is eye catching , especially the two tone sole. Got to find some scarlet color cushions now!

It looks like a 15 kingpin? Did Chicago Skate try to knock of snyder with the big kingpin nut concept?

-Armadillo
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Wink They went even farther.

Snyder parts on a Chicago base plate. The Chicago cross bar nut is a 11/16 vs 3/4 inches, Otherwise they are almost identical. I also have a Sure Grip Stylist with a similar set up.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Wow!

Those look EPIC.
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Still at it

Thumbs up Custom rollers

A pin stripe suite & rolling in those !
You be pimping probably have mo hoes than I got clothes lol
They are COOL
Still at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #6
quantoo

Default out of the ordinary

classy footwear there.
Makes you wanna skate them,conversation starter too
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #7
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

very cool, I would rock the shoes.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 06:54 PM   #8
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still at it View Post
A pin stripe suite & rolling in those !
You be pimping probably have mo hoes than I got clothes lol
They are COOL
Oh man... those are definitely suit-worthy. Wish I had seen those in person!!! Gawgeous.
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommemi View Post
Oh man... those are definitely suit-worthy. Wish I had seen those in person!!! Gawgeous.
Had seen?? They are still right here in Mars.
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #10
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Had seen?? They are still right here in Mars.
LOL I get the hint In due time... in due time. I can only get my hall pass cleared so many times a week when it comes to skating trips. lol! (We have to take turns taking care of Mom while the other one gets to have a night off)
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:29 AM   #11
bolivia

Default thank goodness for Doc.....

A very nice, well-cared-for shiny pair of these plates landed on my doorstop today (5-2/3), part of a nice dance/figures setup. I had no idea what these plates were but the Panther-style trucks and C stamped kingpin bolt offered a clue and I was very curious. The price was right and took a chance on them to fiddle with.

Certainly are interesting plates. Panther like trucks, I-beam body, and Laser/Satellite style toe stop. Add the front end hacksaw-looking cuts and it's a head tickler.

Doc, do you have any Futura ads in your literature collection? I've not seen the plate in the stuff I have.

Nice build BTW......
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:53 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
A very nice, well-cared-for shiny pair of these plates landed on my doorstop today (5-2/3), part of a nice dance/figures setup. I had no idea what these plates were but the Panther-style trucks and C stamped kingpin bolt offered a clue and I was very curious. The price was right and took a chance on them to fiddle with.

Certainly

Certainly are interesting plates. Panther like trucks, I-beam body, and Laser/Satellite style toe stop.

Actually the toe stop clam is the other way around. Brander's Laser patent is 1981. The Futura was patented in 1964.

Add the front end hacksaw-looking cuts and it's a head tickler.

Doc, do you have any Futura ads in your literature collection? I've not seen the plate in the stuff I have.

I do not. I have never seen any.

Nice build BTW......
Thanks.
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #13
bolivia

Resurrecting an old thread. Just wanted to post an ad showing a Futura plate. Like many of the Chicago ads back in the day, it's just a general Chicago broadcast, for you to inquire. Doesn't say anything about plate specifics, other than the pictures. The ad is from a 1971 RSROA Championships program. It's the first ad I've seen of anything Futura, but have a bunch of 60's/early 70's mags to go thru. The 2 pairs I have both are both off of dance skates.

[IMG][/IMG]