S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 13th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Bont Athena Plate

http://www.bont.com/quad/products/plates/athena/

This looks like the future go-to plate for derby. I imagine we'll see a skate package with this very soon.

Good play Bont.

Adjustable pivot pin = better than Pilot F-16 and Crazy but same price.
I'm curious about the weight.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #2
leshomes

Thumbs up NTS

https://www.facebook.com/QuadRollerD...FMESCoBR4zZFQ4

NTS plate available 2018
Old August 13th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Smile I may get a pair mounted and rolled by Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
http://www.bont.com/quad/products/plates/athena/

This looks like the future go-to plate for derby. I imagine we'll see a skate package with this very soon.

Why on earth would you want a package sk8??

Good play Bont.

Maybe...

Adjustable pivot pin = better than Pilot F-16 and Crazy but same price.

Pilot F-16 (Falcon +) has an adjustable pivot.

I'm curious about the weight.
I have 2 pair of 6.25 7mm axle Athenas. These were limited production. Stock weighs 407gms. My souped up pair (Ti axles and king pins): 350gms. The standard axle will be 8mm. NOTE: the 7mm axle is metric and takes 7x1mm nuts. I have no idea what will be the case w/ the 8mm axle.

Not real thrilled w/ the 6061 alloy. Should have gone with something stouter...like 7075. Derby is not real gentle on the aluminum alloy AKA "butter" in the machining world.

BTW, there is nothing miraculous here. The plate itself, well look close @ it. I believe one would have no trouble determining the origin. The rest of the sk8?? From the pivot cups to the grub screw in the king pin, lifted right off the 20 Infinity. Nothing wrong with reusing good parts @ all, but nothing amazing about it either.
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #4
amohrfeld

Most derby girls I know are on a budget. And most skate bont boots. So my accolade is more marketing and less engineering in nature.

Side note: I'm not convinced 7075 is absolutely necessary. Granted it is twice the strength with no weight addition. However, there are only 2 or 3 small locations on a plate with high stress concentration. My working theory is a designer could add a little more material to these high stress locations and achieve a solid design with only minor weight gains.

I assume you are referring to China manufacturing. It is almost impossible to make a $200 plate in the USA. manufacturing costs alone would exceed that number.

I saw the Pilot a few months back and was not impressed with the overall quality. Though in pictures the plate looks great. Based on your comments I assume this plate will be the same.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The standard axle will be 8mm.
Boo! Hiss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The rest of the sk8?? From the pivot cups to the grub screw in the king pin, lifted right off the 20 Infinity. Nothing wrong with reusing good parts @ all, but nothing amazing about it either.
I'd be curious to see one. Interesting if for no other reason than less fiddly than the Infinity.
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Boo! Hiss!

Nothing wrong w/8mm axles. Some of the new stuff is quite good since it is 8mm and not 5/16.

I'd be curious to see one. Interesting if for no other reason than less fiddly than the Infinity.
I sent ya a pic on fb.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 03:09 AM   #7
Dekindy

Update? Received Bont email newsletter today that featured the Athena. Interesting that there is no reference in the literature regarding adjustable pivot pins.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Oversight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
Update? Received Bont email newsletter today that featured the Athena. Interesting that there is no reference in the literature regarding adjustable pivot pins.
I just unpacked a 8mm production Athena. It has adjustable pivots. Somehow I don't think Bont is going to make a new truck casting since this is the same truck as the Infinity 20.
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #9
Gorilla

Default Skated Mine

I am testing a set right now. There is a lot that I like about them.

* Well made adjustable trucks. They just seem more precisely manufactured then similar priced trucks.

* King pins are the same size as Snyder, so upgrade to titanium or getting a quick replacement will be easy.

* Stock cushions seem fine, but they are very similarly sized (if not exactly the same) to Sure Grip and many other brands giving a wide variety of options.

* 20 degree truck angle provides lots of turn while being secure and stable feeling.

Overall I like how they skate quite a bit. I have been skating 16 degree trucks (Pilot Falcon) for the last few years and I have liked 'em. These skate similarly. I skated Crazy plates and Chaya recently. Both are also 20 degree plates and I do like how the Bont skates better. I don't really have any technical language to express why I like them more. Despite all having the same truck angle, they do all behave differently. All would work well. But for me, the Bont was the better balance of turning and stability and predictability and ease of landing jumps.

Minor issues..... very minor:

I hate grub screws! I know they are probably a better design, but I prefer a nylock nut like on Reactor Pro. Many Skateloggers don't like Pilot's click action, but I like not having to carry an allen wrench as well as other tools for adjustment.

Low profile design - I am 210 lbs, so this may not be an issue for others, But with full sized wheels, I was getting boot bite at my preferred truck tightness. I probably won't have that issue with 59mm derby wheels.

Over-all. I am going to stick with these for a while. They are a legit plate at a great pricepoint. They are a direct competitor to Pilot Falcon, Crazy, and Mota Plates; all of which are great choices. But there is something special about these..... it is hard to quantify why, but I like how they skate enough to make my regular skate.

Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Snyder Royal king pins

Steel ones w/ self locking nut. Fit right in as you have pointed out.