S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old April 25th, 2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Misro327

Question Uncomfortable in skates HELP!

Hi. I'm relearning how to skate. My balance is really terrible. My feet are like cramping up in my skates, the monkey claw I hear it's called. The skates at the public rink press on the uncomfortable places of my feet.

I ordered skates they're on their way. I'm nervous they'll need to be broken in something terrible.

My right leg hurts and the left leg doesn't.

What stretches are recommended for skating. Cushions? And maybe how to keep my foot from clenching!
Misro327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh

What type of skates did you order? I don't have much advice on stretching, other than stretching your calves, but I'm sure someone here could help. Yoga might help?

I asked what type of boot because some (in my opinion) are more comfortable than others.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misro327 View Post
Hi. I'm relearning how to skate. My balance is really terrible. My feet are like cramping up in my skates, the monkey claw I hear it's called. The skates at the public rink press on the uncomfortable places of my feet.

I ordered skates they're on their way. I'm nervous they'll need to be broken in something terrible.

My right leg hurts and the left leg doesn't.

What stretches are recommended for skating. Cushions? And maybe how to keep my foot from clenching!
Go a size smaller on the rink skates even if they feel a little tight. The claw foot is probably trying to keep the skate in place. A firm fit may help.
Old April 29th, 2018, 03:49 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Clenching is usually caused by too much room in the boot. It is too wide, too long, or both. Snug is better. Stretch the hamstrings, touch your toes, with your feet together, and each leg individually with feet wide apart.

Another great stretch is to squat. With your feet flat on the floor, find a comfortable toe out angle, then squat down as far as you can go. Butt to heels. This will stretch your ankles, knees and lower back. You may need to hold something to maintain your balance. If you can't do this, do it, but with your heels raised, up on your toes. In this position, lean forward, hands on the floor, elbows braced against your inner thighs. Do this until you can do the flat foot version. Work up to holding it for 5 minutes.
Old May 11th, 2018, 04:23 PM   #5
okie

Talking Crampy feet while skating.

Rental skates are set to a tight truck adjustment so beginners can stay out of trouble. IE they are not allowing you to turn in the turns,so you try vainly with your toes and feet to force the skate around the turns when it is adjusted to go in a straight line. Normal. Every new skater goes through this.

The sad rental skate adjustment problems cause many new skaters to drop out before getting a cure for the malady.

When you get your NEW skates they are NOT adjusted either. So you will learn how to make them work just for you. We can help you and no worries. It is very simple when you learn how.

The dumbest question is the one not asked.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 01:37 AM   #6
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Another possibity

I experienced a lot of foot problems after I started skating again at age 70 after a 9+ year stint of not skating. I was skating the artistic style boots and just could not find anything that was totally comfortable.

My son gave me a pair of low top (we used to call them racing) boots and my feet were much happier. It seems the high heel of the artistic boots caused my feet to bunch up in the toe area and the low top boots did not.

Moral to story: Rent a set of low top skates and see if that offers the perturbed appendage some relief. Good luck!

& Keep Rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 05:12 PM   #7
okie

Default Me 77 and still skating and riding dirt bikes.

Boots: 951 Riedell,(second pair since 2000. (same price as a bicycle with a lawnmower motor) nuts. but!

Very low cut,so you have >full ankle ball movement. Extra soft drum rolled premium COW hides. (No Hong Kong Phooey leather etc or Buffalo hide). Lightweight, you are lifting your feet every time you go round and round. it adds up.

Basically a Flat sole. Designed like when you were running thru the jungle Barefoot. IE more balance.

951 is designed for break dancers etc. A large toe box and stiff in the ends. Soft everywhere else. Cool max lined to remove sweat.

And skate plate: Being aged (old) I prefer a >lazy action plate that is the full length and mounted in a standard pattern. IE plate all the way back to the heel. 1 foot in the grave and the other one on a Banana peeling.

62MM X 44MM premium urethane wheels (95A duro) good roll and grip. Prediciable. 7mm Ceramic Bones skate bearings.

This setup makes it easy and makes it >fun. And as long as you own them they will always waiting on you to catch up. You will never ever be able to use them beyond their design. Bail you out when you goof up.

They cost way to much,but: they are well worth it. Helps save you when you need it. Just some musings.

If you come to Phoenix,i have Adult only night (8 years non stop) every MOnday. No rules but the rules of the road,No dj,just music, and No Dress codes. If you got it? You can flaunt it. 18 up. I will let you in free. 1 time. Just say Skatelog.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, monkey, pain, stretches