S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 2nd, 2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Goals for Beginners

If there are any beginners here, what are your goals with skating? Do you set small goals and try to achieve them? What are those goals, or things that you wish someone would teach you?

Or, if you could go back and give your self some advice (when you were a beginner), what would it be?

Thanks. Just doing a little research.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 05:33 AM   #2
campingnut

Iím not a beginner, but rather a returner (after a 20+ year break). Besides learning about the mechanics of my skates, my priorities have been:

1. Using multiple ways to stop.
2. Controlling my speed at all times (related to #1). Especially down hills...
3. Skating backwards.
4. Being able to turn from being faced forward to backwards and back again without stopping.
campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh

I'm cracking up, because I guess there's not many beginners here! The reason I'm asking what people want to learn, is because I'm thinking about running a class. I spend about 90% of my time at the rink teaching, so I might as well run a class. Although I quad skate now, I mainly teach the kids slalom. The quad skaters usually want to learn how to rhythm skate, so that's what I work on with them. They still learn cones too!

A few years ago our local rink was owned by a nice couple that wouldn't allow cones. Local people didn't know that cone skating was a sport. The new owners allowed me to start setting up cones and teaching kids how to slalom. Now the kids have all turned into AMAZING skaters! Half of them are toe-gunning!!! It's drawing quite a crowd, and people want to get involved.

So that's why I'm asking. If I'm gonna teach an organized class, I'd love to hear any ideas that anyone has to make it go smooth. Thanks in advance.
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #4
kcire10

My goal is getting better at controlling my roll. I practice a good amount of tricks but I also want to get better at my rink routines, skating in trains, and maintaining complete control with ease.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 06:48 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

Honestly, I gotta work on trains too. The switch is never that fluid. I usually have to go out of town to work on trains, but it's a great recommendation!

Routines too, awesome. Sometimes people want to work on tricks when they can barely even skate. There's a lot to be said for getting good control.

Also, thanks Campingnut. These are things that will definitely be included. Good recommendations.
Old August 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM   #6
zebra1922

Blimey, where do I start!

Used to skate as a kid(and I mean 10 years old) but only up and downtime street, never backwards, no spins etc.

Main aims right now are:

1 Learn to stop properly. I'm getting better but still rely on the rink wall too often.
2. Crossover turns both ways. The rink I use is anticlockwise and I have a bad right knee so I find anti clockwise cross overs OK but I'm rubbish clockwise, keep working on that.
3. General balance only right leg. I'm much better on my left.
4. Skating backwards, no idea how todo it, lessons coming up in September to learn.

I think that should keep me busy for a few months before I work on forward/backward transitions, jumps and maybe a wee spin.

I'm so glad my daughter wants to skate, gives a 43 year old guy an excuse to go to the rink!
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 04:01 AM   #7
MissyPatch

I'm with zebra1922, just starting back after doing it a lot as a kid...... and have skated on hireds in the last year or so, but have just recently bought my own speed skates......

I wish there was speed skating lessons for quad skaters, they have them for inline at my local rink.....

Things I am working on is cross over, just one way at the moment.....im working on T-stop, I wish I could do the turn stop...... using you tube for this..... one of the quad speedies at my local rink has been really great to me and showing me stuff.....and correcting me, I was doing it wrong last week and he kindly pointed out what I needed to be doing.

It would also be nice if you could try different wheels on your own skates....instad of forking out $200 for a wheel you might end up with and don't like......

Would be nice if there was some sort of order in which to learn as well or exercises that you could do....

I hope that helps.
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 04:03 AM   #8
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Honestly, I gotta work on trains too. The switch is never that fluid. I usually have to go out of town to work on trains, but it's a great recommendation!

Routines too, awesome. Sometimes people want to work on tricks when they can barely even skate. There's a lot to be said for getting good control.

Also, thanks Campingnut. These are things that will definitely be included. Good recommendations.
What are trains?
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:46 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh

This video is a bit long, but these are trains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2H-SEvEpI

Missy Patch, that is such a good idea (about the wheels). I have several different types of wheels. I could actually keep them at the rink and let people try them on so that they don't waste their money. Never would have thought of that.

You guys are really helping me come up with some great class ideas. Please, keep letting me know what you want to learn.
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #10
MissyPatch

No worries, I know it's probably easy to onsell wheels but yea, would be great to try them out, you know.....

I should actually check out what other lessons they have at my local rink, I only enquired about the speed skating one.... there might be others.... who knows.....lol

Thanks for the link too..... I'll have a squizz. Thanks.
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #11
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
This video is a bit long, but these are trains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2H-SEvEpI

Missy Patch, that is such a good idea (about the wheels). I have several different types of wheels. I could actually keep them at the rink and let people try them on so that they don't waste their money. Never would have thought of that.

You guys are really helping me come up with some great class ideas. Please, keep letting me know what you want to learn.
Omgosh, I just watched that video! Hahaha that's awesome.....that rink also looks huge!!! Is that the normal size of rinks over there?
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Oicusk82huh

Yes, this rink is a normal size. I think we may be spoiled. What's the skating scene like where you live? What types of places do you skate? What are the floors like, or do you skate outside? What's it like? Is there a popular regional style?
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #13
MissyPatch

I o ly go to the 1 rink....... there are 2 older guys I say hello to as they are regulars, and around my age, there are a bunch of younger quad and blade speeders, but harder to get to know.....

I would like to start skating outside or more often here I just don't know where I can go....... I need to find a concrete loop of some sort.....

There's an adult skate time at my local rink......im going to go there and check it out........