S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 17th, 2018, 01:50 PM   #1
romekjagoda

Default How early can kids start inline skating?

To all the skating parents out there:
I have not found a relevant thread and was wondering what is your experience, advice, knowledge of current science, etc. on the topic when at the earlierst is it safe, healthy, fun to put kids on skates.
Should it be inlines, quads, or some other sorts - pros and cons.
thanks in advance for sharing.
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

We have a girl skating for our team that started at age 3. I have seen kids starting even earlier. It depends on their drive and how ready they are. You probably can't put a definitive age out there, because every child is different.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 02:54 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

I started ice skating at three, double runner skates, I had absolutely no ankle strength, my ankles, (inside) were on the ice, at five or so I started to get the strength to skate on the blades, single blades at that point, if I were a kid, I’d wish that quads were involved, not in lines, with quads, you just stand, no ankle balance or strength involved, with inlines, well, just like ice skates, you need ankle strength, btw, I played hockey from the first second on skates, I had a stick as the third leg, a major factor to help staying upright.

Please put a helmet on the small one, going to ground happens fast, saving a side head hit to the temple will-would be a life saving event.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:42 AM   #4
romekjagoda

Thanks for your replies and stories
My daughter is going to turn 2,5 in June, so obviously I am not putting her on anything right now yet, but I also don't want to discourage her. Quite the opposite. So when I see her wanting to get my skates on when I come back from a workout, I gladly do so and my heart sings.
However, of course I want to avoid being one of the crazy dads who starts preparing his kids for the olympic games since they are 3 and has got the whole plan worked out I know that starting things too early may discourage the kids and be counterproductive, plus most importantly there are the health considerations and the impact of such sports on e.g. joints, etc. At the same time no one is talking here about doing regular high intensity work-outs 4 times a week, but still it's better to know there are no risks.
I will see, because I have been reading that starting on quads may be the way to go, but at the same time other articles claiming they should go directly on inlines. As with anything these days, confusion all along...
Old May 18th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #5
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by romekjagoda View Post
My daughter is going to turn 2,5 in June, so obviously I am not putting her on anything right now yet, but I also don't want to discourage her. Quite the opposite. So when I see her wanting to get my skates on when I come back from a workout, I gladly do so and my heart sings.
However, of course I want to avoid being one of the crazy dads who starts preparing his kids for the olympic games since they are 3 and has got the whole plan worked out I know that starting things too early may discourage the kids and be counterproductive, plus most importantly there are the health considerations and the impact of such sports on e.g. joints, etc. At the same time no one is talking here about doing regular high intensity work-outs 4 times a week, but still it's better to know there are no risks.
I will see, because I have been reading that starting on quads may be the way to go, but at the same time other articles claiming they should go directly on inlines. As with anything these days, confusion all along...
Many rink owners I know put skates on the kids at around 18 months, quads, tighten the wheels down so they don't turn to get them used to walking around in them. Then move on from there. Have kids racing on the team as young as 3 so they started sooner.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #6
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by romekjagoda View Post
Most start on quads just because it is hard to find inlines small enough.
When old enough to follow instructions inlines are easier for most people to learn if they tighten them properly.
Old May 19th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Derrick

Had this delema 13 years ago. My youngest was probably 4. I just couldn’t wait any longer. If you can walk you can skate. Of course the first few times there was a lot of back breaking help go be given out. But they became independant quiclky. We started at about once a month and ut became every sunday when they were small.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
romekjagoda

Thank you all.
It's reassuring there aren't actually any contraindications to kids starting as early as 2-3. I am amazed to see however, that already 3 year olds race, but if they like to I guess there is no point stopping them.
My daughter is 2,5 now and I think daddy will get her the quads this season to get her started and familiarised with the sensations. So cheers to you for confirming my guts feeling about it.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh

Since I was an inline skater, I started my son on inlines when he was about 3 years old, but some kids are more agile and ready sooner.

I took the heal break off his skates before he even used them because I believe they are dangerous. They also had adjustable size skates, so he wore them for multiple years.

If you are a quad skater, then start her on quads, because it will be easier for you to teach her. I'm excited for you. First you'll skate with her, then in a few years she'll surpass you! Just wait! Enjoy every single minute of it, it passes in an instant.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 02:27 AM   #10
ValerieAnne

I received my first pair of inline skates at 12 (I believe). They were my mother's old ones/she didn't want to skate anymore, so I got them. Prior to those, I had the cheap quad ones you can buy at major chain stores (Fisher Price, maybe?) when I was between 4-6 or so. Sadly, I didn't stick to it, either time (at 12, I did skate daily, then other things got in the way/became more important).. but depending on if they have experience or not, I can see starting on inline quite young as well.
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 03:22 AM   #11
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
I received my first pair of inline skates at 12 (I believe). They were my mother's old ones.
Ha ha, I got my first pair at 48 from my 12 y/o son. LOL
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:05 AM   #12
ValerieAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Ha ha, I got my first pair at 48 from my 12 y/o son. LOL
Haha! That's awesome! I wish I wouldn't had let other things/activities get in the way.. if I hadn't I wouldn't be starting over again, at 33. lol!
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote