S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:00 AM   #1
MissyPatch

Default Places to practise.....

Ok so..... I go to the rink..... and it's usually busy..... so it's hard to practice any type of skating, without looking like a twat really..... so I was wondering...... can i take my crappy 91a wheels and roll around a skate bowl or on a bike path or are my wheels not really suitable for this type of surface making the practise would be useless.......

How did you get better at skating?
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:33 AM   #2
kcire10

I don't know about your rink but all the rinks I go to are busy as well but they have an area in the center of the floor with cones that let skaters know not to skate there unless you're practicing or an advanced skater. No one really bothers us and we get a good 2.5 hour workout.

The 91s are fine for kicking around outside. See if you can find an unfrequented parking lot, a basketball court, or something similar, clean it up and skate. The way you get better is practice on one thing at a time, master it and move on to the next thing.

What I did to get better is I have an area in my home where I can skate once everyone is down for the night. In the beginning, I skated pretty much every night for an hour or 2. Now I'm a whole lot better so I skate every other night or every 2 nights out, depending on how I'm feeling, for an hour or 2. On Wednesday nights, I skate at a rink with friends after work and on Sunday night I go to a place in town close to home. Sometimes during the summer, if I'm bored at work, I'll leave and go skate. Skate hours during the summertime changes and rinks are open every day. I have access to about 5 different rinks in the area so sometimes I go to different ones to change up the scenery.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
MissyPatch

Awesome!!! Thanks.......

You can skate in the middle too where I skate, but more advanced skaters use it, I'm sure it would be fine for me to use it don't feel confident enough to do so at the minute.

That's a lot of rinks you have to choose from which is good.... but all that's sounds do-able, we are moving soon, and the house we are moving to has a double garage with a concrete base so I'm hoping to practice there! Can't wait..... lol.....just need a mirror ball, flashing lights and music and it will be my own rink.......oh and some carpet on the walls. Lol.....
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:33 AM   #4
FUBAR
Rookie

Our schools have nice parking lots. They are big and well lit. The lights come on when it gets dark. 1 trip around the parking lot is 1/4 mile for me. I never thought to take cones. I only skated laps. I think Iíll need to try some cones.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 03:50 PM   #5
Derrick

The skate park has a smooth surface, but you need to find a time when no else is using it.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:40 PM   #6
MissyPatch

Yea, I also thought as it's an uneven surface it would help with balance.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:18 AM   #7
kcire10

Practice wherever you can and when you get to the rink, practice in the middle and ask the advanced skaters questions so they'll help you out and they become familiar with you and won't be bothered by you skating there. Don't be intimidated because we all had to start somewhere. And everybody falls. I fell 4 times tonight trying to do too much lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPatch View Post
Awesome!!! Thanks.......

You can skate in the middle too where I skate, but more advanced skaters use it, I'm sure it would be fine for me to use it don't feel confident enough to do so at the minute.

That's a lot of rinks you have to choose from which is good.... but all that's sounds do-able, we are moving soon, and the house we are moving to has a double garage with a concrete base so I'm hoping to practice there! Can't wait..... lol.....just need a mirror ball, flashing lights and music and it will be my own rink.......oh and some carpet on the walls. Lol.....
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:51 AM   #8
MissyPatch

Yea I've been talking to the regulars down there, which has been Great, and they have been really helpful.
Old August 26th, 2018, 08:37 AM   #9
PRFunky

Awesome that you're going to be getting a garage to skate in!
When I first got back into skating 3 and half years ago, one of
the first things I bought was a set of wrist-guards. Later on, when
I put together some outdoor-only skates, I also started using
elbow pads and knee pads when I skate outside. The first time
you land hand/palm first down and hear that wrist-guard smack
the floor or pavement, you'll be like "DAMN! I'm glad I have
these things!" I think safety equipment really helps because you
don't hold back your training on the "what-if-I-get-hurt" factor.
Your confidence will soar!

When you get into skating outdoors on trails and on parking lots,
You'll quickly develop an appreciation for really new asphalt. It's
such a dreamy surface! I use relatively soft wheels outdoors. My
quad-line skates' wheels have a duro of 82a. This does NOT prevent
me from traveling fast, however.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote