S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 18th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #1
Maroon bells

Default Super Smooth Tarmac alert, UK

I managed to find some super smooth tarmac in Bexhill, East Sussex, on top of the De La Warr pavilion. This seems to be a very rare thing these days.

To get to it you need to skate along a path coated with tiny stones that's horrible but some as you hit the tarmac, oh wow, super smooth bliss.

Here is a video of me on it, hopefully accessible!

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.wan...7/?pnref=story
Maroon bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Quadster
Smooth Roller

I know someone who skates in that exact same spot.

Quadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Maroon bells

Nice one Quadster, shame I missed you. I think that bit of tarmac needs to be listed or something, I don't know many others.

Looks like you are on Street snakes? Are those Bauer boots?
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Quadster
Smooth Roller

That photo is of a friend of mine; it's not me.

Yes, he's on Bauer Vapors and he rolls Sims Street Snakes.

I wear hardshell boots (Supreme Turbo) and mostly roll Aussie Scotts or Rollerbones DOTDs.
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Maroon bells

I've got supremes with Kryto Cruise's. The supremes were ruining my ankles though, I had to get a gel bandage thingy to be able to continue using them. Do you have that problem?

I would be interested to see those Aussies Scott's, they are a bit legendary.

If I'm down next year I will let you know and maybe see you around?
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon bells View Post
I've got supremes with Kryto Cruise's. The supremes were ruining my ankles though, I had to get a gel bandage thingy to be able to continue using them. Do you have that problem?
When you say "Supremes" do you mean Supreme Turbos or Bauer Supremes?

The Bauer Supremes are known to destroy people's feet because they're ice hockey skates and not intended for roller skating (especially not trick skating). A mate of mine took a year to break his Bauer Supremes in before they became even vaguely bearable to wear.

Personally, I can't be dealing with all that pain (especially not for a boot that doesn't even give you any kind of performance advantage whatsoever).

I use the plastic shell Supreme Turbos with padded liner. No ankle issues for me, but the rigid layer on the the liner's tongue and the piping that runs down the front opening of the liner, are a both total PITA. However, there's no other alternatives, so I just have to put up with it.

Quote:
I would be interested to see those Aussies Scott's, they are a bit legendary.
Here's a few of the Aussie Scotts wheels that I own:

-

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Maroon bells

[QUOTE=Quadster;708207]When you say "Supremes" do you mean Supreme Turbos or Bauer Supremes?QUOTE]

Sorry yes I meant Bauers, trouble is you don't know until you try them. Anyway I can get by with my Silipol gel sleeve, maybe give it another year and they might be broken in!

Nice wheels! What are they like on tarmac, I have only ever skated on 78a street snakes or Krypto's?
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #8
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Sorry yes I meant Bauers, trouble is you don't know until you try them. Anyway I can get by with my Silipol gel sleeve, maybe give it another year and they might be broken in!
If your Bauers are thermoformable (i.e. heat mouldable) then it's worth baking them for a better fit. This really improves comfort, especially around the ankle area. Obviously don't heat treat them if the skates are not designed for it, but most mid-range Bauers are thermoformable.

Quote:
Nice wheels! What are they like on tarmac, I have only ever skated on 78a street snakes or Krypto's?
I used to be the same, only ever skating 78a outdoors. Harder wheels can be a nightmare (especially on the abysmally crappy surfaces we have in this country) but you can get away with up to to 84a outdoors depending on the urethane formulation.

My Aussie Scotts are 85a to 88a (the softest that he makes) and they work really well on half-decent quality tarmac and paving. I use them at Hyde Park, where I much prefer them over any 78a wheel (despite me hating rough surfaces). However, on really bad surfaces or cobblestones etc. the Aussie Scotts are total bone-shakers. Skating over the odd bad surface or two would be bearable, but for extended street skating they would be too uncomfortable and would destroy my knees.

I skate indoors quite a bit these days. There is a fantastic huge hall in London that has old school roller discos about one a month (full of people wearing original Bauer Turbos and other classic skates) and the floor is so incredibly smooth and fast that you can wear whatever hardness of wheel you like. It's an over 18s only event and full of people who have returned to skating after 10, 20 or more years break.
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Maroon bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadster View Post
Obviously don't heat treat them if the skates are not designed for it, but most mid-range Bauers are thermoformable..
Mine aren't unfortunately

Quote:
Skating over the odd bad surface or two would be bearable, but for extended street skating they would be too uncomfortable and would destroy my knees...
Like the seafront path at Bexhill!

Quote:
I skate indoors quite a bit these days. There is a fantastic huge hall in London that has old school roller discos about one a month (full of people wearing original Bauer Turbos and other classic skates) and the floor is so incredibly smooth and fast that you can wear whatever hardness of wheel you like. It's an over 18s only event and full of people who have returned to skating after 10, 20 or more years break.
Where is this? It sounds tempting!
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:04 AM   #10
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Mine aren't unfortunately
That's a shame.

I have a pair of limited edition white Bauer Supremes and they are thermoformable. I baked mine and it made a big difference. However, it obviously doesn't make any difference to the inside of the toe cap (which is still rock hard). I hardly ever wear mine because I do a lot of trick skating moves on my toe wheels, and it's just too damn painful in those boots. So I stick to my plastic Supreme Turbos with the padded liner.

Quote:
Like the seafront path at Bexhill!
Exactly.

I've not skated it myself (I avoid rough surfaces like the plague) but the appalling state of Bexhill seafront is legendary and well known. Hastings is just as bad.

Quote:
Where is this? It sounds tempting!
It's in Harrow, North West London (round the back of the Harrow Leisure Centre). There is one next Friday (28th August at 9pm).

This is the hall

If you want to skate there you should consider going to the one on the 28th because the people running the skate night said that it may be the last one ever (due to the hall being too expensive to hire).
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:08 PM   #11
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Oh, and by the way, The Infamous Skating Couple are currently in the UK (over from Germany) and they will be at the skate session on Friday, so it would be an opportunity for you to get to see them skate in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3JO0SlEUWY
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Maroon bells

OMG that looks awesome and I can't make it. Arrrgggghhhhhhhh.

That is really disappointing .
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Quadster
Smooth Roller

It looks as if it's going to be an absolute blinder on Friday. Lots of people are going because it may be the last one ever.

Typical!

If people had made the effort to go previously, then it wouldn't be at risk of being permanently shut down.

I've seen a load of posts on Facebook these last couple of days from people frantically trying to get babysitters for that night, or dusting off skates that they have not worn for years. lol

It's a shame that you can't go. I think you'd have really enjoyed it. The floor is fantastic and the music is spot on too.
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Old August 25th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Maroon bells

It sounds like it is going to go down in legend. I will just have to hear the stories
Old July 12th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Maroon bells

Default Hello

Hello Quadster,
I just recently got back into my skating again once a week in Reigate and may need to buy some new boots as the Bauer supreme's still kill my feet. I don't think they do the Bauer turbos anymore and I am thinking of getting some Ventro pro's. Have you any experience with these boots?

Hopefully I can continue skating as my back is playing up a bit. How are you doing these days?
Old July 14th, 2018, 10:58 PM   #17
DarrenVS

Quote:
Hello Quadster,
I just recently got back into my skating again once a week in Reigate and may need to buy some new boots as the Bauer supreme's still kill my feet. I don't think they do the Bauer turbos anymore and I am thinking of getting some Ventro pro's. Have you any experience with these boots?

Hopefully I can continue skating as my back is playing up a bit. How are you doing these days?
Hi there, try and find a pair of Supreme Turbo. Depending on your size, you can pick them up for around £50. Iíve got 3 pairs and I donít think I paid more than £40 for any of them. They are a bit more flexible than the SFR and they are easy to attach other plates to if you want a plate upgrade. I actually like my Supremes, can skate in them for hours.
Pm me if you want any help
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 11:05 AM   #18
Maroon bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
Hi there, try and find a pair of Supreme Turbo. Depending on your size, you can pick them up for around £50. Iíve got 3 pairs and I donít think I paid more than £40 for any of them. They are a bit more flexible than the SFR and they are easy to attach other plates to if you want a plate upgrade. I actually like my Supremes, can skate in them for hours.
Pm me if you want any help
Are these Supreme Turbo's now discontinued can't seem to find them anywhere? I don't want second hand boots, want to buy new. The Ventro's seem to look quite similar.
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #19
DarrenVS

Quote:
Are these Supreme Turbo's now discontinued can't seem to find them anywhere? I don't want second hand boots, want to buy new. The Ventro's seem to look quite similar.
Not many places in the U.K. sell Supremes now. Buy a used pair and buy some new liners for them. If youíre patient you can find a pair that have been tried on but not really used
www.skatepro.uk still sell Supremes, they even do white ones with white plates which are a bit different
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #20
Maroon bells

thanks for the advice Darren.