S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 5th, 2018, 12:02 PM   #1
cass38a

Default 10 years on Skatelog

I am moving house this week and just packed up a huge box of skates, wheels, parts helmets and Lyra and remembered its 10 years since I joined this forum this week. Joining this forum means it has also been 10 years since I got back on skates.
I haven't been real active here since the beginning of 2016 as serious injury requiring a Birmingham hip resurfacing put me off skates for 12 months and I haven't really posted again but I check in every couple of months to see what I am missing.
For those that care I am still skating and knock out about 50klm a week of road skating and do a session every few months.
I still skate with a couple of skate loggers who were here when I joined and over the years have met up and skated with many more from all over Australia, I now count a few of the people I met here as good friends and have many more of them as facebook friends. In 2012 I gave up on the quad skates and started racing on in-lines which was a love hate thing for ages and eventually managed to compete at National Titles 4 times, got selected for the national team (masters) a few times and even managed to set a national record for the 3000 meter relay with another logger Rich71 so the switch from quads paid some dividends.

Are there any other survivors out there?
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #2
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Yep, still surviving!

I got on here just a few months before you. It's been a wonderful ride! When I look at my skates; Bont boots, Avenger plates, Scott's tires, Paco's hubs, there is nothing laced on my feet that I'd know about or possibly even exist without SkateLog. That is the power of Internet forums. They bring people with a specific desire together and with their varied skill sets improve something for which they have a passion.

SL ten years ago was a very different place. Hell, the World was a different place! Considerably more of a live and let live attitude. Considerably less snark. A LOT more active posters since the competition for eyes was less. I still don't think stream of consciousness applications are as powerful at creating understanding as threaded forums. On FB all it takes is one or two a$$hats getting into it and all the good stuff is impossible to find.

I really miss (in no particular order and woefully incomplete) Biffskater, Smartin, Bill, Tremor, Rokdaddy, Rokwel, RogZilla, Mellian, HotLips, Takenbylovely, Salamamda, Darkjester, HK47, Slowsk8, Fanjet8, A-town Sk8ter, Live2sk888, Gle8, rsfaze, Christopher-T, bpike503, MFND, Jsmooth, Pitbike120, BanjoKablooey, Machine, Kennedy, Vitaman, Fresh Eddie Fresh and of course the old unvarnished Okie. Armadillo of course stands alone. There are SO many more! I'm really glad Doc and Danny are still here...

I still get in 6-8 hours of rink time a week. It's SO MUCH FUN! Age and injuries have slowed me a bit but I intend to continue skating as long as possible.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane!

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:42 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Still here. 12 years for me. I took time off from skating at the beginning of 2008. Work travel had me all over the place. I also fell back into riding motorcycles, doing track days, and finally got into road racing and race instruction. I had a pretty bad crash in July of 2014 and I decided to retire from racing. I was 49 at the time and it took quite a while to recover.

It was then that I started skating again as part of my recovery process. I found a team and was convinced to compete again. The rest is history, including my first ever trip to the USARS national speed championships a few weeks ago, where I placed 3rd in my sprint race, now at age 53.

I am now also a coach for the team I skate for and intend on skating until I die. I'm not as much an outdoor skater as I am an indoor skater, but I use outdoor to supplement my indoor endurance training. For indoor, I compete in the Keystone USARS League and MASSL USRSS league. For outdoor, I do the Eastern Seaboard Series.

I do hop on my quads on occasion, usually when visiting a friend in Hagerstown MD, whose family owns a rink that they've owned since it was buils over 70 years ago.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #4
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Off and on here as well. I mainly skate outdoors now since the new rink owner ruined the floor where I used to skate by putting down a cheap floor coating that is slowly deteriorating.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:19 AM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

11 years skating, 8 on SL. I have been off for almost two months. Moved from California to Texas. In San Antonio now. Still learning the SA skating scene. Not too crazy about the Wednesday adult session but another rink is starting up a Thursday one. My left ankle is really for sh*t, but I am getting by. Still SF DA45 all the way.
Old August 9th, 2018, 08:46 AM   #6
leshomes

My 10 years on here went quick.
Best thing I have got out of the forum is meeting great people and being invited on the Melbourne tour. Itís fun doing something that I enjoyed as a kid and never realising it was just a pair of skates away from being able to do it again.
Love how technology has improved everything but old Skates still fly around the rink.
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Pingar

Been here little more than 8 years. Actually went skating last night been a few months. Without this forum Iíd still be riding around on my 595/power Tracs or 595/lasers.

Now I skate bonts, synder royals and Aussie Scottís wheels. Best skates to ever be on my feet. So much more fun then all the other stuff Iíve owned. I use to love my lasers. I never would have tried any of those without Skatelog or a fellow skatelogger (fanjet8) to let me try his bony/royals
Pingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 12:37 PM   #8
rwsz

also still here going on 12 years next month, don't skate anymore but always on boards
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM   #9
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post

11 years on the forum this month. Still skate haphazardly at random intervals. Not as much as I'd like.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Derrick

Default 6 years

Skate twice a week still.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:30 PM   #11
BigFoot

Jeez, six years? Shut the front door! Twice a week.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #12
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Skate twice a week still.
Oh wait, thereís my join date itís only 4 years. Seems like only yesterday.....
Old August 24th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Jeez, six years? Shut the front door! Twice a week.
Thatís right they usually prop open the kitchen door for the workers, so shut the fron and Iíll really have a go. Actually! skating alone isnít as fun.
Old August 27th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Vitaman
This used to be easy!

Cool Still lurking...

Yeah, it's been a day or two...

Don't post here much anymore. Most everything has moved over to the FB pages I guess. Still check in here from time to time though.

Sitting here waiting for the post office to show up with my new toys from Doc, so I guess too much hasn't changed.
Old August 28th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #15
Vitaman
This used to be easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Yep, still surviving!

I got on here just a few months before you. It's been a wonderful ride! When I look at my skates; Bont boots, Avenger plates, Scott's tires, Paco's hubs, there is nothing laced on my feet that I'd know about or possibly even exist without SkateLog. That is the power of Internet forums. They bring people with a specific desire together and with their varied skill sets improve something for which they have a passion.

SL ten years ago was a very different place. Hell, the World was a different place! Considerably more of a live and let live attitude. Considerably less snark. A LOT more active posters since the competition for eyes was less. I still don't think stream of consciousness applications are as powerful at creating understanding as threaded forums. On FB all it takes is one or two a$$hats getting into it and all the good stuff is impossible to find.

I really miss (in no particular order and woefully incomplete) Biffskater, Smartin, Bill, Tremor, Rokdaddy, Rokwel, RogZilla, Mellian, HotLips, Takenbylovely, Salamamda, Darkjester, HK47, Slowsk8, Fanjet8, A-town Sk8ter, Live2sk888, Gle8, rsfaze, Christopher-T, bpike503, MFND, Jsmooth, Pitbike120, BanjoKablooey, Machine, Kennedy, Vitaman, Fresh Eddie Fresh and of course the old unvarnished Okie. Armadillo of course stands alone. There are SO many more! I'm really glad Doc and Danny are still here...

I still get in 6-8 hours of rink time a week. It's SO MUCH FUN! Age and injuries have slowed me a bit but I intend to continue skating as long as possible.

Thanks for a trip down memory lane!

Thanks for the shout out wired!
Yeah, it was a def a different place back then.
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:44 PM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I'm down to one skate a week. Well, sometimes two. Will probably shoot for two ultimately. Age, illness, injury. The killer trifecta. I got sick before leaving California. Then got sick real bad once in Texas a few weeks. Cracked a rib coughing! Folks say it takes a while to get used to the pollens and mold in the air. Got a good Hepa filter for the house that runs 24/7. Started getting better once the filter started doing it's thing. Doing some squats again and taking some protein. Gotta build some strength and muscle. Also got a great bike trail close by. I'll get some riding in to get my cardio up. With a little luck, should be back in full swing by the end of September.
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:13 AM   #17
Nostalgic

This coming December it will be 11 years for me here. I do not skate mostly because it is too far through L.A. traffic.
Nostalgic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 03:30 AM   #18
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

11 years...older. Still coaching and competing and still love trying to get fast.
Old September 16th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #19
73watermutt
I skate in circles

I still pop in from time to time. Everything has kind of moved to FB. I really miss the old SLF!!!
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #20
AussieScott

Default 10 years for me too

Hard to believe its been 10 years already.
Obviously I do not post much anymore but as many others have said I look every so often.
Facebook has pretty much taken over a lot of these forums as the preferred platform.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote