S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 17th, 2018, 02:49 AM   #21
hoohoorjoo

Default 1 of 10 sets ever made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Green PowerTracs? Was that a custom order, or did you get some silver ones anodised yourself?
They made 1 set of plates for each boot size, 4-13. It was a one-off run, special edition. I got 'em used from Ebay.

hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 03:09 AM   #22
kcire10

Began around 82 and skated up until 88. Skated on and off up until 97. Skated a few times here and there for the next 20 years. Last year began skating again hardcore in August so I've been back for exactly a year.

I have 3 pairs of skates (should be getting my new build back any day), 7 sets of wheels, 10 sets of bearings, and 5+ skating rinks I can hit up any day of the week at any time to feed my insatiable desire to skate!
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 04:00 PM   #23
DarrenVS

Skated as a teenager, at about 14 in the 80’s.17-25 years old I lived at the ice rink
Taught the kids to skate when I was 40. Got back into skating at 43. Became a roller derby ref at 46 for two years. Still skate solo as I’ve decided that my local skate scene contained too many people who had opinions about who I skated with and where I skated. Had a year off and started again this summer. I love skating solo along the seafront 10 minutes from home. I can go as fast or as slow as I want and talk or not talk to folks.
I have 6 pairs of quad skates and a pair of inlines. All my quads are self builds from various bits and bobs ( not always cheap bits and bobs though. But don’t tell my other half)
I’ve even agreed to teach a colleague of my wife’s how to skate. Which has taken a lot of persuasion on their part
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #24
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPatch View Post
Hahaha nice that you are still learning stuff....... I'm learning how to stop.....the T-stop........ I would like this to be second nature!
Yea, T-stop is super helpful. As you gain speed you’ll want that when there is absolutely no hole to go through. And T-stopping behind begginers and kids instead of scaring them by getting too close is just polite.
Old August 20th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #25
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
How long have you been skating for

Since about 1969 or 70.

Quote:
and how many pairs of skates do you own?

Gosh, about 21 pairs built at last count, and parts for maybe 6-7 waiting for shop time. So, not that many really.
Old August 20th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #26
ValerieAnne

I skated for around 12 years growing up, I stopped, started here and there or at the rink only after I hit upper teens. I'd been wanting to get a pair of skates again, esp when I go skating/to rinks.. so I correctly have 2 pair of skates - a quad pair and inlines. The inlines are too big for me, so I don't use them, since I can't. LOL.

So been skating again for about a month or so, only 1 time a week for a few minutes at a time, esp as most of that was just the inlines and I am trying to make them work, but I can only wear so many pairs of socks lol
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 04:18 AM   #27
MissyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
I skated for around 12 years growing up, I stopped, started here and there or at the rink only after I hit upper teens. I'd been wanting to get a pair of skates again, esp when I go skating/to rinks.. so I correctly have 2 pair of skates - a quad pair and inlines. The inlines are too big for me, so I don't use them, since I can't. LOL.

So been skating again for about a month or so, only 1 time a week for a few minutes at a time, esp as most of that was just the inlines and I am trying to make them work, but I can only wear so many pairs of socks lol
Hahaha that's cool..... you sound a bit like me.....just getting back into it......
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:27 PM   #28
zebra1922

I love the stories from Chuck and Hoohoo, great stuff.

This time round skating about 3 months and now the proud owner of a single pair of very average, eBay purchased skates (Ventro Pro).

I did some skating when I was a little kid but only to the shops and back, never at a rink, never any tricks etc.

Now just over 30 years later I've accompanied my daughter to some skate parties and she really liked it so we go around once every 3 weeks or so, and now with us both owning skates (recent birthday for her, Daddy spends for me) we can skate outside (some good paths and a tarmac play area nearby).
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:12 AM   #29
Skatervideoguy

Hi MissyPatch,

Quote:
How long have you been skating for
Think 1953, the Roll-A-Way Skating Rink on the far East side of Topeka, Ks. A small 7yr. Old white haired boy with minimal coordination, struggling to stand up on Rink Skates with loose Open Bearings and Wood Wheels on a Slick wood floor. No coatings back then, only Rosin Power used when Skate Competitions were happening.

That's how I started Skating in Rinks. My mother took me there on Saturdays for Open Skating sessions. I had already been trying to Skate using the “Clamp-On to your Shoes” type Skates with metal wheels and no Toe Stops, on my cement Garage floor. Falling in both settings was a given for me, but since I was small for my age – no damage done – too close to the Floor.

I eventually got into Speed Skating for a few Years, and then on to some Dance and Free Style.

I've Skated over 160 Rinks across the USA: Topeka, Manhattan, Alma, Emporia, Wichita, Lawrence, Leavenworth, Ottawa, Paola, Pittsburg, Independence, Garden City, KS, Omaha. Des Monies, IO, The KC area to LA, to Seattle, to Las Vegas, to Phoenix, to Iron River, Mi., to Austin,Tx., to Tampa, Tallahassee, Lake City, Panama City, Fl., to Bartlesville, Ponca City, & Oklahoma City, OK, to Farmington, Ma., Albuquerque, NM. To name a few cities.

20+ of those Rinks have been here in the KC area – with only 8 still in operation.

The Stilt Roller Skates you see in my Avatar, I built in my mid 20's (when I lived in Lawrence, Ks.) and skated on for about 27 yrs. Each Skate weighted 8.5 lbs. and stood 17.5” tall. That made me 7'9.5” tall when Skating, as I'm 6'4”. That pair was actually my 3rd set after bending the first two sets in half - doing Spins. I retired them in 2001 when I retired, as my feet went from size 12 to 13, and I decided not to invest another few hundred in New Boots for what was then 3 sets of Skates.

I've managed to continue Skating to this day, with no major time off. (other then a couple of months for each of 3 diff surgeries)

It's been quite the Ride, and along the way I met my Wife of 33 yrs. We Skated together until her Horse Riding injuries stopped her some 10+ years ago. She Competed in Cross Country – which lent itself to Falls & Injuries.

Quote:
how many pairs of skates do you own?
At one point I owned the Stilts, a pair if Free Style Ice Skates (did that for a few years too), a Speed set and a Free Style set like what's in my Sig. I now have just the two sets in my Sig.

Harold
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:15 PM   #30
ValerieAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
They made 1 set of plates for each boot size, 4-13. It was a one-off run, special edition. I got 'em used from Ebay.

I almost totally bid/purchased that blue/pink skate on eBay. Sadly, all the ones available are slightly out of my price range - and out f of my foot range! lol
They are so beautiful though.
Old August 24th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #31
hoohoorjoo

Default I just realized...

that I didn't list my skates. Here goes:
1st pair:
Reidell Solaris boot
Snyder Advantage plate
Custom White 97A Scott's Phantom wides
2nd pair:
Riedell 125 (RS-1000) boots(black)
Completely rebuilt Satellite plates with new urethane bushings from Skating2Fast and new axles
95A Red Zombies
3rd pair:
White/silver Diamond Walker boots
Reidell Thrust plates
Gray 96A Speed Ray Wides
4th pair:
Riedell 965 boots
Roller Derby Elite Neutron plates
White 97A Shamans
5th pair:
Sure Grip S75 boots
SG Rock Plates(black)
Atom Snap 95A wheels
6th pair:
Riedell 125 boots(white)
SG Probe plates(yellow)
No wheels atm
I also have a set of blue Powertrac plates that I haven't decided on a boot. I'm considering a Bont this time around, though I really love my Solaris. And I have several sets of wheels on hand, also, some new, some used. And Ive only been back skating for about 1.5 yrs lol!
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #32
Chilli Jam

Smile Been a while...

Hey everyone, long time no post...

I started skating back in grade 3, age 10. Mum and Dad gave me those crazy clip-on metal skates with hard wheels for my birthday. My friends and I would skate the school netball court during lunchtime. Then in the seventies, my high-school years, bought some proper speed skates. My friends and I went to two rinks only a bus ride away, all day Sunday sessions usually (and our school used to load up the bus and take us to the rink for an all afternoon sport session - lucky kids!). We street-skated local footpaths (when it wasn't raining) and local petrol stations (they used to be shut on Sundays). As a kid my nick-name was Scabby, always falling on my knees street-skating... I didn't care, it was badge of honour. Stopped skating in 1980 when I left high-school and became too cool for kid stuff :eye-roll:

Back into skating 2009-ish, because my sister's kids wanted to try the local skate rink in Seaford. Was recruited into the local Roller Derby team when I was still skating rink rentals :ha-ha: Did the whole Derby thing for a bit until my knees gave in :another eye-roll:, retired from derby and had the most fun session skating rinks: Caribbean Rollerama, Eltham, Sunshine, and Seaford.

Moved to Queensland in 2012. Met a wonderful man, feel in love and moved in with him. Skated the back streets around our warehouse in the evening. Got really good at skating in the dark: rolling the bumps is good balance training. Stopped skating completely in 2014 because my husband became unwell and stressing about my 'dangerous' love of street-skating (I had to look after him). My hubby got sicker and sicker and finally died last winter - the flu got him in the end. It's been a tough couple of years!

I am now left running his, now my, business on my own. I need to move the business/home to cheaper premises. Maybe once that is all over, I might be able to get back to skating again... I really miss the rink and my skating friends xxx
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:04 AM   #33
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

So sorry to hear about hubby chilli...
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #34
Chilli Jam

Just my luck eh? He was a really interesting and cuddly person, that's why I loved him, but not a healthy one. Oh well...

Here's the little man in my life now (we got him to cheer up my husband) a cheeky fluffy puppy! In DOG we trust!

Last edited by Chilli Jam; August 25th, 2018 at 04:24 AM.
Chilli Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 09:49 PM   #35
MissyPatch

Sorry for your loss chilli jam.

I skate at carribean.....

Good luck with your business I hope it goes well.

Thanks for sharing your storey!
MissyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 11:07 PM   #36
ValerieAnne

So sorry for your loss, Chilli.