S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 3rd, 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Stephen1974

Default Top tip for beginners

Make sure your wheels are on properly.

Rear wheel just dropped off my inlines and acted like an anchor. Splat.

It was weird. I could feel my boot just dig in and I actually had time to run through multiple scenarios of how best to break my fall before hitting the deck. I opted for a drop to the knees (no pads) and fall foward on to forearms.

I was very impressed with the controlled landing, and then suitably embarressed by it being obvious i'd not checked my wheels before skating.
Stephen1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 04:04 PM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Good Idea Top Tips

Good Post,

Up above Kathie put in Sticky Posts so they stay up on top of each list. Top Tips for InLines. Top Tips for Quads, Top Tips for ?? would all by good Treads to start and have the moderator add them to the Sticky Treads.

BTW, I have been on this list forever, even with long absent bouts.

InLines for me have a lot of top tips. I would always recommend a Back Pack when you skate outdoors. Skate Tools, Stuff to clean up debris if you skate in difficult areas, maybe some collapsable ski poles. And if a beginner that doesn't know your feet will pay for over use beyond your skill some bandages and mole skin to put on the blisters, or other blister helpers.

Probably won't be here again for awhile, SO please Add if you wish or start a tread devoted to Top Tips for InLine Beginners and then contact the Moderator or Moderators to add the tread to the Sticky. They will edit it.

Have a Great Skating next Adventure.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 23rd, 2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Dave bro . Lol its "Thread" not "tread"

Invest in blue loctite. It keeps your axles where they are supposed to be without having to over torque your parts.
Old March 24th, 2019, 12:39 AM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

I prefer the top tip be wristguards.

If you do your own maintaince, you own the results.
Old March 24th, 2019, 11:02 PM   #5
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I prefer the top tip be wristguards.

If you do your own maintaince, you own the results.
I've got wristguard, now looking at knee pads and helmet. Next on the top tip list (in terms of avoiding hospital where possible!)?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 12:17 AM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

In hot weather the helmet has to reduce heat and in Cold weather increase heat.

The kneepads are the same, in hot weather...use your wristguards for knee proctection, in cold weather keep your knees warm with knee warmers, assos.
Old March 25th, 2019, 06:07 AM   #7
BigFoot

Stephen1974, I hope you did not get hurt when you dropped to your knees and fell on your forearms. I believe that would be the SECOND WORST way to fall. The WORST is to bounce your head off the concrete. Most of the time there is a safer way to land.

By doing a forward flop you risk a getting a road rash or a fracture of those body parts, maybe even a face plant if you hit hard enough. A safer option is to twist your torso so you land on your shoulder or your side and then “barrel roll” to a stop. The idea is to spread out the impact over as much space as possible. You do not want to concentrate your fall onto just one part. That can break bones. Like that old saying, “it’s not the speed that kills, it’s the sudden stop.” So don’t stop suddenly, roll it out. You will likely get a cut or bruise, but the chance of a serious injury is reduced.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 03:47 PM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Shows How Change is Difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

Invest in blue loctite. It keeps your axles where they are supposed to be without having to over torque your parts.
Mort, Skater who might still come East to Skate in New Jersey, At that Advanced Skate. BTW the floor from my friends is too small, even if great skaters.

It just shows you that change is difficult. I have been spelling Thread wrong for so so long. I still think it is tread.

Yours in Skating, Language, MA/NY Skating Dave
Hey Mort I am 70. How did I get here and still Skate
Old March 25th, 2019, 06:27 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

Loctite is not required, especially with those of us that change their wheels so often (3-4 times per week, when I go from indoor to outdoor skating and back and forth). Constantly applying and removing would be a huge PITA. I've owned a bunch of inline skates with different frames/axles and have never had a wheel come off (knock on wood). I'm pretty good at checking my equipment. Even frames that have the axles tighten on different sides (one frame's axles tighten on the left and the other on the right). For the type I just described, you have to check to make sure that bearings aren't getting frozen to axles on frame that's axles tighten on the left, or the axles may come loose on their own. These include Powerslide, Liberty Sports, and a couple others.

However, the worst issue is over-tightening inline axles and stripping the threads in the frames. There is a 4mm allen wrench out there that has a built-in torque wrench that prevents over-tightening.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 04:34 AM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default May be wrong, but still say loctite

@chuck

Eh, I find that some loctite on there, even just once is worth it. after you break it loose and run the bolt back in, usually holds better than the bolts which never had any. Also, this person in question is likely not changing wheels out frequently like yourself. I'm sure by now you have developed a sense of how much torque is enough, where a newer skater may not.

@Dave

Been all over the place. Went to Indiana the weekend of Feb 14th. Still haven't been to Mass. Did you ever go to EWNB?(Eight wheels no brakes) what rink is the skate you speak of ? What day and time? Will need info to plan for it sometime.

Next out of town trip (well up north that is) will be to Steel City Shuffle Skate here in a few months. The host rink is Neville Roller Drome. Probably my favorite rink ever. Love that place. Lots of good groups on facebook and easier to manage on the fly than skatelog. Really tho the FB group "Skate Addiction" is the best resource for anything skate related. Tons of knowledgable cats on there.

Info for that skate event:

ANNOUNCING the 2nd Annual Steel City Shuffle Sk8 July 27-28, 2019

**This is a No Rental Skate Event**

In 2019 a second venue has been added!

This year we roll at Valley Skating Center AND Neville Roller Drome!

Schedule of Events

SATURDAY July 27 6-10 PM
The warm up session Valley Skating Center, Donora PA
Join us for a great meet and greet warm up session on the 18,000 sq. ft. rotunda floor.

Meet and Greet/Happy Hour 6pm-7pm
Warm up session:7-10pm

SUNDAY MORNING
July 28 9am-Noon Open Streets Pittsburgh

Join our Skate Family and skate in and around the beautiful City of Pittsburgh during Open Streets. This is a FREE event (with the possible exception of parking). For details and route information, please visit their website.

https://openstreetspgh.org/

SUNDAY EVENING MAIN EVENT
July 28 6:30pm - 10:30ish

Once again we will welcome our Skate Family for a great night of Shuffle and Jam Skating. This is when we leave it on the floor!

Admission: $12

OTHER INFORMATION

· The host hotel will once again be the Fairfield Inn ˝ of a mile away from Neville Roller Drome.
· The Art work is in the final stages.
· There will be T-Shirts again this year.
· Main Event Pre-sale tickets will be available. Tickets will also be available at the door for the Main event.
· DJ’s for the event will be announced in the near future

Steel City Shuffle Sk8 2018 Posts/Information
#yinzers #pittsburghfitness #pittsburghfit #yinzer #rollerderby #rollerskate#rollerskates #finchumfotos #myskatemoves #allskateforward#rinksidereporter #pittsburgh #crazyskates #bontskates #rcsports#southeasternskatesupply #suregrip #rollerblade #rollerbones #anabolix#ewnb #tristateshuffleskate #steelcityshufflesk8 #rollerrats #southerneasternshuffleskaters @skate_nrd @myskatingpodcast
Old March 31st, 2019, 07:54 PM   #11
zebra1922

Check EVERYTHING with new skates. Got some new Riedell skates, checked wheels were tight, trucks adjusted as a like, toe stop screwed on. Didn’t cross my mind to check the plate nuts until I landed on my backside after the front two nuts fell off within 30 minutes of starting to skate.

To make it worse another skater went over one of the nuts and went splat in a big way as well.

I’ve seen lots of advice on things to check on skates but nothing ever refers to checking the plate is screwed on properly. Well, you live and learn.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote