S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Naomi

Default Slalom Events in USA, 2010

BATTLE: Miami 20/21 February (Great-EsSkate Mini-Battle)
BATTLE: Washington DC - May 21-23
WORKSHOP: Seattle 5/6 June - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Seattle 5 June
BATTLE: San Francisco 12/13 June (BattleUS)
WORKSHOP: San Francisco 14-18 - SkateFreestyle Slalom Retreat with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Philadelphia 19/20 June (Philly Freeskate Mini-Battle) - NOT YET CONFIRMED
WORKSHOP: Washington DC 23/24 June - SkateFreestyle 2-day workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Chicago 26/27 June - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Boston 3/4 July - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Boston 17/18 July at SkateBoston
VIDEO PROJECT: New York 17-26 August - Skali visit to make video
WORKSHOP: Phoenix 18/19 September - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Dallas 25/26 September - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Atlanta 9/10 October - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: North Carolina 16/17 October - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg

If you add any slalom events/workshops/demos in the US to this thread, I'll add them to this list, and also the identical list on freestyleskaters.org. Even if it is a low level workshop or just a casual or regular meetup we can add it onto here so that skaters can get access to meeting other slalom-interested skaters.

Last edited by Naomi; May 18th, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #2
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Unhappy US Open Is being rescheduled

We had an insufficient enrollment for the Chicago event and also with some scheduling issues due to a number of competitions and other things going on and so it will probably be moved to the Fall in an area with a number of slalom skaters, inline figure skaters and other skaters. Let us know of any recommeandations. We are looking at changing the format.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
BATTLE: Miami 20/21 February (Great-EsSkate Mini-Battle)
BATTLE: Chicago 24/25 April
BATTLE: Washington DC - May 21-23
WORKSHOP: Seattle 5/6 June - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Seattle 5 June
BATTLE: San Francisco 12/13 June (BattleUS)
WORKSHOP: San Francisco 14-18 - SkateFreestyle Slalom Retreat with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Montreal 19/20 June (Canada Battle)
BATTLE: Philadelphia 19/20 June (Philly Freeskate Mini-Battle) - NOT YET CONFIRMED
WORKSHOP: Washington DC 23/24 June - SkateFreestyle 2-day workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Chicago 26/27 June - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Boston 3/4 July - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
BATTLE: Boston 17/18 July at SkateBoston
VIDEO PROJECT: New York 17-26 August - Skali visit to make video
WORKSHOP: Phoenix 18/19 September - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Dallas 25/26 September - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: Atlanta 9/10 September - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg
WORKSHOP: North Carolina 16/17 October - SkateFreestyle weekend workshop with Naomi Grigg

If you add any slalom events/workshops/demos in the US to this thread, I'll add them to this list, and also the identical list on freestyleskaters.org. Even if it is a low level workshop or just a casual or regular meetup we can add it onto here so that skaters can get access to meeting other slalom-interested skaters.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #3
GregT

Oh man, sorry to hear that.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Naomi

Yeah, I think the slalomers were up for it, but when it changed to being outside they decided best to postpone because the weather looked stormy.

On the upside, NYC are looking at having maybe 2 this year!
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile

We were quite interested in having the slalom indoors, but the best skater couldn't make it till the afternoon and the rink was booked since we only reserved the morning. They were willing to let us use the parking lot, but the weather was a factor Last year we had slalom and no one registered or participated in slalom events. So it is great that the interest is there. I'm in DC right now and some of us are getting together in May to decided how to get more participation in the Open. If anyone is interested send me a note and I'll send the details.

The Chicago club said they were going to hold their own event under an overpass in downtown Chicago, so something might have happened.

Joe

Quote:
Yeah, I think the slalomers were up for it, but when it changed to being outside they decided best to postpone because the weather looked stormy.

On the upside, NYC are looking at having maybe 2 this year!
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Naomi

I hope to be there for it next year!
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile 2011

Let's shoot for Columbus Day 2011 on the West Coast for the Open. We need a location that is close to an area that already has a lot of inline skaters: slalom, figure, speed. My goal is to make a fun event for everyone. Most competitions for the good skaters. Recommendations are encouraged.

We're going to meet in DC sometime during May 12 - 17th.. No specific date yet, but if someone wants to join us let me know your availability. We just going to plan and discuss and see how we can grow inline skating. We need to discuss the format of the event and our Board has to approve it and then get a location. There are several possibilities we can discuss.

Joe

Quote:
I hope to be there for it next year!
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #8
Naomi

Sounds good. I shall be at an event in Korea during your May meeting, but would be very happy to do whatever I can remotely. my email is naomi (at) skatefreestyle.com if you want to discuss anything.

Next year we are having our main US international freestyle competition on the east coast (that takes a full weekend of competitions so is hard to combine with another event unless space is in excess), but I expect the 'local' events to have grown in size by then so it should work to combine one of those as was planned this year, if it fits into your schedule still for next year.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Danielle

Quote:
Next year we are having our main US international freestyle competition on the east coast.
Where on the east coast??
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #10
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Where on the east coast??
I see you are from New Jersey. I believe there are plans to have 2-3 minibattles this year in NYC, in case you are interested. I don't know if the dates have been set, though.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Danielle

Yeah, I skate w/Eriald & the rest of the NY group. So far no date has been set for the mini battle. I've not been to any of the previous Battle US events, so I was just hoping
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #12
kuosher34

Hey Naomi, how quickly do your workshops fill up? I've got a few things on the burner that make my attendance iffy, and I don't want to give up a deposit or take up a slot if I can't go.

Also, you listed Atlanta workshop for Sept 9-10 but on your website it lists you in Asia in Sept and in the US in October. Can you confirm your dates in Atlanta (and correct the OP if it's incorrect)? Thanks!
kuosher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #13
GregT

Hey kuosher34,

Naomi's Atlanta 2-day clinic will definitely be:

Saturday, Oct 9 through
Sunday, Oct 10

I'm the local coordinator for the Atlanta clinic, so, if you have any questions and can't get in touch with Naomi, I might be able to help you.

Naomi handles the registrations, though, so you need to talk her directly about deposit stuff. If she doesn't respond on this thread, you might want to send her a Private Message.

Do you live in the Atlanta area, or will you be traveling from another city? If you live in/near Atlanta, you should come skate with us sometime. I created an Atlanta Freestyle Facebook group, if you are interested:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=105463844671

If you are coming from out of town, I might be able to find a local skater who's place you could stay during the workshop. I can't guarantee it, but, last year, we had 4 people traveling a long distance to the workshop, so we were able to get skater volunteers to provide free housing.

-greg
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #14
kuosher34

Greg,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Valdosta so it's quite a drive up to Atlanta for me, but many of my college friends and some family are scattered throughout the Atlanta area, so I'll have a place to stay.

I just have a fluid employment situation, and I don't want to take up a slot if I can't go or burn my deposit up. I'll give Naomi a message. Thanks for the link to the fb page. We're up in that area a couple times every month and I could probably convince the wife to bring our little guy to a skate gathering.

Thanks again for the info!
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #15
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuosher34 View Post
Hey Naomi, how quickly do your workshops fill up? I've got a few things on the burner that make my attendance iffy, and I don't want to give up a deposit or take up a slot if I can't go.

Also, you listed Atlanta workshop for Sept 9-10 but on your website it lists you in Asia in Sept and in the US in October. Can you confirm your dates in Atlanta (and correct the OP if it's incorrect)? Thanks!
Sorry, a typo - just corrected it!

The workshops totally vary - the DC one filled up ages ago, and the San Francisco retreat has a waiting list, but then some of them never do actually fill up and have low numbers, so it is totally hit and miss!
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #16
kuosher34

I suppose I'll have to take my chances and wait. Hope to see you in October!
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #17
GregT

kuosher34,

Cool. Let me know if you want any info about the workshop. Last year, we also housed out-of-town participants in houses of local skaters. I can't guarantee it, but we might do the same this year, which would allow you to save some money if you are interested.

And if you are ever in town, feel free to contact me if you want do do some slaloms.
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #18
cyrex3669

hey guy's, after a few research on the net , i saw that there was supposed to be a competition in montreal, canada. Now, i can't seem to find any comfirmation of this event, is it still on ???? I would love to go see that since i recently started slaloming and that here in montreal there's not that much of a scene for that.
cyrex3669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #19
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

There's a link on the calendar at this website...

http://www.wssaskating.com/event.aspx

It's listed as June 19/20. You might try e-mailing them...

wsseries@gmail.com

Also, it's listed at the USFSA site, but they say it's not one of theirs...

http://www.freestyleskaters.org/events/

Good luck!
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Naomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrex3669 View Post
hey guy's, after a few research on the net , i saw that there was supposed to be a competition in montreal, canada. Now, i can't seem to find any comfirmation of this event, is it still on ???? I would love to go see that since i recently started slaloming and that here in montreal there's not that much of a scene for that.
Hi,

I recently contacted the organizer of the event, Nicolas Rathe from Montreal, however it doesn't look like he got beyond reserving the time & place. If I had discovered the difficulties that he was having in finding time to work on this a little sooner, perhaps we could have stepped in & taken over for him, however at this late stage, and with the US based competitions, and with me also overseeing the UK series, it just isn't possible.

Next year I think that we will look for more commitment before admitting it into the series, and support the organization from an earlier stage.

I'm confident that Montreal can support a competition - the actual location and situation was great - it would be part of a larger extreme sports event.