S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #101
Rods

Many thanks, Chad, for the welcome. It's definitely a beginning though rather than a welcome back. And good luck with your fight against diabetes. It sounds like you are winning.

Cheers.
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM   #102
SkateBoiJ

Default i am a noob skater

k i am new at skating just started like a week ago i thought about ginding(still scared since i saw scarred) just wanted to know what was the basic to grinding
SkateBoiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #103
RoadsterGrrl

Ok I've been skating on average once a week for 2 months now, and I can say I pretty much get the hang of it, but how can I skate faster????? I seem to be skating less than 5 mph, and joggers pass me by.
RoadsterGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #104
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterGrrl View Post
Ok I've been skating on average once a week for 2 months now, and I can say I pretty much get the hang of it, but how can I skate faster????? I seem to be skating less than 5 mph, and joggers pass me by.
Skate more! Seriously.. once a week is not a lot and you will not progress as quickly. Like anything that requires neuromuscular training (muscle memory), the more you do and the more often, the quicker your body will adapt. Try to skate 3 times a week (but not necessarily increase your overall time by x3) and you will see a lot of improvement.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #105
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

RoadsterGrrl

please repost in the Fitness thread, and include all info;

skates
wheels
type of skating

you'll get all the advise from the online pros
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #106
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
height, weight, dimensions........

oops, sorry. when ever I fall on skates, I end up with my mind in the gutter.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #107
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
when ever I fall on skates, I end up with my mind in the gutter.
Should have been wearing a helmet, then.

Here, let me scoop that up for ya...
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #108
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

I'm 47, had somewhat high cholesterol and have been running, but wanted something more fun / lower impact. I decided to try inline skates.

skates: K2 Moto 90's (against all advice )
wheels: 76mm wheels (soft, I forget the #)
type of skating: n00b - fitness
height: 5'10"
weight: 173,
dimensions: 40, 34, 38 I think

I took a 2 hour California Skate School class, and got up to heel brakes and swizzles.

Loved it so I bought the skates, pads, helmet, etc. Took me hours of driving around Torrance, no one had any selection.

I finally went to Venice Beach on Sunday, per K2's dealer locater, and found a great little store (http://www.boardwalkskate.com/), in the sense they had several models so I could actually try them on (I have a narrow foot). Selection! He advised against the 100/90's with smaller wheels as it had less ankle support. So I went with the Moto 90's. Yes, I know it's not a beginner's skate.

I bought 76mm wheels and swapped out the 90's. I'll upgrade once I'm good.

Practiced in the back yard for a while, then in the street at 10:30 at night, trying to learn the swizzle and heel braking.

Last night I went behind Ralph's (Rolling hills), where there was a fairly flat lot. I spent an hour and got up to A frame turns, stepping stops, and almost to edge stopping like I used to do on Ski's - and that's when my skates went out from under me and I fell on my ass! No harm done, my elbow pad took most of the brunt.

Snowplow braking is OK now, but I'm still not great on the heel brake. The asphalt is pretty rough though, even in the parking lot. Speed bumps are now fun! About 4 hours total on skates now. Heart monitor (Garmin 305) says I was in the target exercise zone for some of the work and I wasn't even pushing it, so this does seem like good exercise.

So far this is a blast, I'm getting better every minute!

Going to take more lessons, they really helped.

Janet at California Skate School was fantastic. Highly recommended. Nat gave me some good advice on gear - it was his idea to buy good skates and swap out the wheels, and I think that was a good idea.

== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #109
axsi

Unhappy

I was skating at a run down mall, and they have this rail that is on a kinda ramp and it drops into the street and I did it, but when I landed it I fell and slid from the middle part of the road to the curb.
axsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #110
Newsk8er

Smile new inline skater,need help with fit and brand

Hi. I have decided that I want to start inline skating for fun and fitness. I live in Germany, my husband is stationed here. It is super bike, walk, and skate friendly with paved trails EVERYWHERE. i didnt do my research and figured that all skates were created equally. I bought a pair for 30 Euro which would be about 55 US dollars. They had good ankle support or so I thought. When I acutally tried to skate in them it was not what I expected. I roller skated as a kid quite a bit so I didnt think this would be so hard. After about 2 min of skating my feet started to bend to the outside. It was very hard on the ankles, which I think I have weak ankles anyway. However, now I am thinking that the skates might have been too big. I tighened them as much as I could and it still didnt matter. I just think that maybe they are too wide, I have somewhat narrow feet.
I need good advice on fit and also brand of skate that might be good. Here is Europe everything is more expensive and I am not really sure where to go to look for skates. If I knew for sure the skate would be a great fit I might be able to swing about 100 euros. I really want to start skating. It is so skater friendly over here and when the weather is nice you take advantage of it. My husband wants to start as well. He is not a big cheapskate(no pun intended) but I can't see him spending 200 euro on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Amber
Newsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #111
geriatricskate

Default young middle-aged skaters

As a kid I used to skate on old quads that were strapped to shoes and had a wing nut at the bottom. Usually the wing nut came undone on my way down a hill. Later, I tried ice skating. I really loved that, too.
A couple of years ago, when I went to the skate park to watch my kids skating, I thought I might try this as well. I have been skating ever since.

I skate Xsjado basix, with Ground control HiLo frames; 62mm Cozmo fly wheels and Kizer ABEC 7 bearings.
My kids and all the others at the local skate park are very supportive

This is all of us skating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZt8E83u9GI

I am glad I persevered after my fall and standing about 2 month in work!
It still is hard work, but very rewarding. The benefits of the sport are much greater than the risks and I wear my bruises with pride. So much (as short as I could keep it, I don't want to bore you here) to myself.

How did you all come to skate? And what are your most memorable experiences?
geriatricskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #112
markomarko

Hi everybody:-)

i'm 26 and i'm from belgrade, capitol of serbia (in europe, former yugoslavia)...i started to skate a few weeks ago...to be precise it was around april 20th...since then i was skating aproximatly 15-20 times, around 90 minutes each time, except 2-3 times, when i was skating for 4-5 hours...
i started to skate because...i like sports and wheels and active body parts:-)

skates: Rollerblade Twister Pro 2
wheels: 76mm wheels / 80a softness (with abec 7 bearings)
type of skating: freestyle (just like those people on rollerfr.net)
height: 180cm (if i calculated it correctly it's 5'9" )
weight: 74kg (163lbs)

i want to say something about my first 15-20 rides...i have never before put skates on my feet...i was ice skating 3-4 times in my life...that's about it of my previous expirience...
first day on skates i was able to be relatively stable while i was skating on some outdoor basketball court...i have fallen only one time and it was because i tried t-stop (because i didn't mount brake on my skates)...i was very happy because i managed to skate for about an hour with really decent speed...
second day i got whrist, elbow and knee pads from my ex girlfriend and she was teaching me how to turn putting one skate in front of the other and turn very fast....and i learned that!!! :-) ofcourse, i was failing pretty much, but main thing is that i realised how braver i am with pads...
until today, i learned:
1 - that turn that i described above (turn to the left is a bit weaker, but i will practice that)
2 - turning back while i'm skating forward (180 degree) and continue to ride backwards (but when i'm skating at higher speeds, i can't turn 180 over my right shoulder)
3 - skating backwards (that "s" leg motion...but everybody says that i very poorly move my left leg )
4 - t-stop (but stopping with my right leg behind left is very week)
5 - stopping like hockey players (if i'm on my right leg, then put my left leg behind in 180 position, and than stop doing halfcircle) --- this "trick" i can do only if i go moderate speed...if i go any faster i turn almost whole circle and extremly lose stability
6 - driving skate in front of skate, not one beside other (but again my left leg, when is in front of right, making problems...)
7 - doing "s" with skates (like going beetween cones) - but my legs are very stif, so i have to do it much,much,much smoother...
8 - doing crossovers (but people say that i have to bent my knees a little bit more)

and i learned all this without protecitve gear (i have pads only when i was learning to make a turn)...so, when i buy pads (and it will be very soon) i think that i will learn much faster, because i will not have to worry about brusing and other injuries...
also, i noticed that it's much better to skate with someone that knows how to skate and do "tricks", so if i manage to find someone to give me a few hints i would be very happy

ok, i think that's it...i hope that this is a good encouragement for every other beginner...enjoy skatng!
markomarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #113
Rods

geriatricskate,
Wow. So, there is a lot of skating action in Liverpool then? I was immpressed by the video. I'm over in West Wirral and in just under two months of skating on the prom (an amble - far from you cool aggressive guys across the Mersey), I've only seen one other skater - and he was just over from Bosnia! Obviously, everyone's in Liverpool but it's nice to know I'm not such a curiousity in the North West. Cheers.

Markomarko,
Have to write this: congratulations on the Eurovision Song Contest.

Rods
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #114
streetsk8r

I have been skating for 16 years and have been participating in races for the last eighteen months. This weekend was the first time that I have ever skated in a draft line. My advice - try it! It was a blast. Find someone that skates about the same speed and get at the end of the line. It is tricky to keep up at the end of the line but try and keep up!
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #115
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
If you are just learning to skate, or even if you are only *thinking* about learning to skate, we would love to hear about your experiences and thoughts. You will get a lot of encouragement and moral support from our forum visitors.

- Kathie
hey. i'm from North Miami Beach, Florida. I've been skating for only (or already) 4 months. and i already changed the trucks on my board and three bearings on the wheels. i just cruise around,and just started practicing some tricks ( actually it's just 180), so...i do enjoy it, i think skateboarding is one of the most fascinating sports i ever tried in my life. before i learned how to cruise i had taken some really great nasty falls!! but thank God never broke anything. but no pain no gain, right?soo. i just don't mind the pain. i see lots of guys skating in our neighborhood, but they are soo reserved and aloof, that i'm just kinda shy to skate up to them and ask them something. but they skate really nice. of course people freak out sometimes when they see me. they think it's something unusual and exotic - a girl on a skateboard...and they think i'm more of a tomboy...
well, anyways, skaters, keep rocking!
Creepy Crawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #116
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
I have been skating for 16 years and have been participating in races for the last eighteen months. This weekend was the first time that I have ever skated in a draft line. My advice - try it! It was a blast. Find someone that skates about the same speed and get at the end of the line. It is tricky to keep up at the end of the line but try and keep up!
whoa, dude! you're good, i know
Creepy Crawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #117
streetsk8r

Falls do happen and it does not matter how new or experienced you are. Hope you wear pads - I always wear wrist guards and helmet. It makes the difference between being bruised and sore from broken bones. I saw a girl in the Disney marathon who fell and had a compound fracture of her wrist. I fell in the same place and only had road rash and bruises. I could get up and finish my skate (sloooooowly) but she was down and out for a while.
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #118
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Crawly View Post
hey. i'm from North Miami Beach, Florida. I've been skating for only (or already) 4 months. and i already changed the trucks on my board and three bearings on the wheels. i just cruise around,and just started practicing some tricks ( actually it's just 180), so...i do enjoy it, i think skateboarding is one of the most fascinating sports i ever tried in my life. before i learned how to cruise i had taken some really great nasty falls!! but thank God never broke anything. but no pain no gain, right?soo. i just don't mind the pain. i see lots of guys skating in our neighborhood, but they are soo reserved and aloof, that i'm just kinda shy to skate up to them and ask them something. but they skate really nice. of course people freak out sometimes when they see me. they think it's something unusual and exotic - a girl on a skateboard...and they think i'm more of a tomboy...
well, anyways, skaters, keep rocking!
Hey thats pretty cool! I go to the skatepark a lot. Not only am I the only girl there, but also the only person over 20 and the ONLY person on roller skates ever!! I really like the skateboarders there. One guy gave me a skateboard. Is it hard to learn? I just want to learn to flip it and all lol. Looks fun........... I'll do ramps on quads though.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #119
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsk8r View Post
Falls do happen and it does not matter how new or experienced you are. Hope you wear pads - I always wear wrist guards and helmet. It makes the difference between being bruised and sore from broken bones. I saw a girl in the Disney marathon who fell and had a compound fracture of her wrist. I fell in the same place and only had road rash and bruises. I could get up and finish my skate (sloooooowly) but she was down and out for a while.
u know what's funny? most of the time i fall when i go skate in downtown Miami...it's a cursed place i guess. Thank God i never fell so bad to break my something... although, when i first stepped on a deck and it rolled from under my feet hell knows where i hurt my left elbow so bad i almost blacked out because of the shock.i didn't dare to touch a deck for 7 months!!! and it still aches sometimes when it rains and when it's dump.and when i first tried 180 i fell on the same spot on my elbow. the sore is almost gone now but i bled just a lil' bit
Old July 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #120
Creepy Crawly
UNITED WE SKATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
Hey thats pretty cool! I go to the skatepark a lot. Not only am I the only girl there, but also the only person over 20 and the ONLY person on roller skates ever!! I really like the skateboarders there. One guy gave me a skateboard. Is it hard to learn? I just want to learn to flip it and all lol. Looks fun........... I'll do ramps on quads though.
damn, our skatepark is located somewhere in hell, i think, sooo freaking faaaaar.never been there. i saw a guy do this freaking kickflip. damn....i would've broken my neck, alright.:lol: for tricks, u just gotta go for one one fine day, try an ollie, stationery at first and then - the sky is the limit