S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old December 31st, 2006, 04:36 AM   #61
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
One day maybe my dogs can go with me, but right now I'll be happy to just stay vertical and for my ankles not to hurt. I'm wearing wrist braces and knee pads, but what a really need is butt pads, I landed on my left hip the second time out and acquired a nice road rash , but I'll survive, just have to get back out there. Any suggestions for protecting the rest of my skin?

Hopefully, practice will show improvement - I'll never make perfect.
Add elbow caps and a helmet if you haven't already. For the rest of it you can try this link: http://crash-pads.com/intro.aspx?dept=skate. Their gear looks pretty formidable. I expect you'll use it up if you'll be trying to control a dog while skating.

Last edited by NWGlenn; January 1st, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #62
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

Default ok

umm.... i popped my first 1 footer, but it was wierd ,i never did it before and i did it good , it felt awsome , and i did it again but the second time i kept going turns out i travelled a whole 150 m on 1 foot just on luck!!! but now i can do it always
michaelDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM   #63
RogerSP

Though I have my skates for 10 years, I used to skate it just once in a while.

Last week of 2006 I decided to skate alone in a big park nearby where I live. I'd prefer to go with a friend, but there's none.

Im using this five wheel which I find quite difficult to skate, it's too big for my feet and legs! Sudenly, after getting used to 10 wheels under my feet (!!!), I was able to do turns riding backwards and feel like sliding, smooth sliding. That got me! But Im still learning and getting used to. My balance is not ok. My right foot hurts/aches. My lower back aches.

I came home and started looking for videos in You Tube. I've found this forum. Saw tons of slalom and speed videos. Now I dont want to stop!

Last week I met the brazilian pro speed skaters. That was fun. I hope we can get a medal at Panamericano 2007.

Last edited by RogerSP; January 24th, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
RogerSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #64
ItsNot2L8

I'm just getting started again... used to hang out at the ice & roller skating rinks in high school (that would be late 70s), then 15 years later got DD, her dad, and myself some inline skates (back in the days before I learned the "never buy crummy cheap skates" rule), we never did much. Another 12 years or so passes, then I went ice skating with some young cousins the same day I was watching the Dog Whisperer marathon. Remembered how much fun skating can be, saw what great exercise it is for people and dogs, and started skating baby steps with my German Shepherd a week ago. With protective gear and a Gentle Leader

Skating with the dog is much easier than I expected, we're going slow right now while he learns he can't heel quite as closely as when we jog or walk, but he's not bothered by the skates at all.

Last edited by ItsNot2L8; January 24th, 2007 at 02:16 AM.
ItsNot2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #65
oldfartskater
Beginner Skater

Default New experiences

Been skating at a rink with my girlfriend 4 times now (once in PA and 3x's out here in CA). I wanted a pair of my own skates partly because I'm hooked on this thing and partly because rental skates are so ugly and....I don't know, maybe because my own skates would confirm my involvement in this activity. Well, the last time we skated I realized how much difference the skates your using makes. Time before I just couldn't weave like my gf was. This last time it was the opposite. The pair of rentals I had felt really good and I felt much more confident and because of that, finally learned to cross my feet in the turns. I was smile'n big Interesting how something as basic as crossing over in turns can enhance the whole experience. I just felt cooler and less like such a beginner.

Can't wait to get my own skates so I can tune them to my personal taste.

That's all
OFS
oldfartskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #66
evilzzz

I'm approaching the big THREE-O, and recently took up inline skating. Why? I can't give any good single reason, but I'm the sort of person who likes to try out new things every now and again. I've only been skating for about 6 weeks, but feel I have learnt a great deal in that time.
So far, I reckon I've logged somewhere between 20-25 hours on my skates in total. Yesterday and today were the most I've ever skated over a 2-day period. I put in 2 hours of practice yesterday, after which I had a nice lovely blister on the inside of my right foot. Undeterred, I ventured out again today, so desperate was I to put in more hours and miles under my belt. I even stole one of my flat-mate's maxi-pads to help out with padding the blistered foot, LOL. That is how much I am enjoying it! Anyway, I skated another 2 hrs today, and have made it much worse now. The blister on my left foot is worse, and I've almost developed a similar blister on the other foot now, too!

I would say that in my natural learning process, the order by which I've learnt how to do manouvres has gone something like this:

Learn to go forward
Scissor
Heel-brake
Lemons, Swizzles
Parallel turn
Crossover turns
Backward rolling/skating
T-stopping, spin-stopping
back-front & front-back transitions

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Obviously I can't execute everything perfectly yet, but if I look back over the last 6 weeks, I didn't think I'd be able to do some of the stuff I'm doing now so soon.

All the time my balance and coordination is improving. I make a concious effort to try and work on my weak-side to try to bring it up as near as possible to my strong side. I'm a sucker for detail, so stuff like working on technique and drilling is a big thing for me.

Still lots to learn, but I'm enjoying it immensely so far, and I think that in skating or anything else, if we enjoy what we do then we never cease to improve the more we do it. Thanks for listening.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM   #67
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

If you invest in a day or two off the blister, you might skate all next week. If not the outer layer of skin will come off and you might be out longer. Just drain the blister with a needle and hope it dries out for a day or two.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #68
evilzzz

Thanks, Sheldon.. unfortunately I think I made it about as bad as it can get by skating on it when already blistered. On the first day I could barely walk, never mind skate, and this is my fourth day off skates and it still feels a bit tender. I invested in some of those Compeed blister plasters, but I'm not sure they're any more helpful than if I had just left my foot to air naturally (however, they may be useful for preventing blisters in the first place).

Moral of the story... don't skate on a blistered foot and expect to not make it much worse.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM   #69
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Moral of the story... don't skate on a blistered foot and expect to not make it much worse.
Well you sort of can, but you need to be prepared to prep your foot before and after the session, and it will take much longer to heal. I skated on a quarter sized open blister using New Skin(tm), tape and Ezeefit(tm) booties. It took about 2 months for it to fully shrink down to the point that I did not need the tape and New Skin(tm).
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM   #70
Code Monkey

Hi Okami,

Beautiful dog. I don't know about Land Rollers, I skate on Powerslide C4 boots with a 5x80 frame, (80mm matter green wheels). I highly recommend this setup or a setup with the boot of your choice but stick with the small wheeled frame. I have switched around a lot in my quest for my highest top end speed and have found that the smaller wheel gets me almost as fast but I can skate for a much longer distance. Anyway. Why I am writing to you is because I have skated a number of times with a rather large dog, Great Dane. He is not mine but just a persons at the park I skate at who one day was watching me skate. We talked and the dog was so nice I asked if I could try to skate with him. He was on a leather 6ft. leash, but only at first. It was amazing and the most fun I have had skating. After about a mile on the leash I asked the owner if I could take him off of it and she said yes. He ran next to me for about five miles before he started to slow down. He loved it. I would look at him and he would look at me and give me this look like he found his long lost running soul mate. It was a beautiful feeling for me to skate with this running animal and actually keep up with him. When we finally stopped and he drank all my water, you could see the look in his eyes that he had been needing and wanting to do that forever.

I was told he was very stiff the next day and didn't move much but since then I have skated/run with him six times. The owner tells me that everytime she drives by the park he is almost jumping through the window. She said one time he saw a skater and was trying to run at full throtle to get to the skater. It is so much fun to see him at the park because when he sees me she lets him off the leash and he comes running at me all out. People laugh like crazy everytime because he has this bad habit of turning sideways at the last minute and slamming his huge body into me and every single time down I go. Once I am down he sticks his huge face in my face and licks me and I am soaked with dog slobber.

So check your dog for any hip problems first and then look at getting some fitness/rec skates that have the 80mm wheels. This will give you stability to be able to train your dog to either pull you (which they love) or run next to you on a leash. It will also give you enough speed to keep up with them and go the distance they love to go. Another thing is that I have been told that after a good long skate/run the dog is very well behaved and calm. Also you will see the muscles in your dog develop and you will see him be proud of his muscles.

When you can't go out skating, put on your skates in the garage or driveway or living room and just stand there with the dog on the leash so he/she gets used to you and where he is supposed to be. It won't make much sense to him but when you two go out skating it will and from that moment on every time you even touch your skates you will have one happy dog.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM   #71
Code Monkey

Okami,

Oh also, on the butt pad thing. I did this... and well I still do. Get a pair of relaxed cut jeans and go to a tailor or shoe repair and have them sew in the back pockets thick (1/4 to 1/2 inch) cuts of leather. This works excellent. Also, wear a helmet every single time and elbow and knee pads along with wrist guards. Always wear your equipment. There have been times when I am skating/running with the dog and will be looking at him because seeing up close running like that is beautiful to me that I will loose my concentration and not see a crack in the road or something and down I go. When it gets hot just cut the jeans and make cutoffs.

Also you need to take a backpack that fits you well without moving around where you pack a lot of water and a bowl for your dog to drink out of.

Have fun.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #72
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spins View Post
This does make me wonder if an inline skater can become a quad skater so easily. Could we be a different species?
I'd love to say we are, just because I can't do inlines (weak ankles)...but my husband and a close friend of mine both can go back and forth from inlines to quads with no problems. With hubby now having speed skates as well as inlines, I never know which he's going to take to the rink when we go.

Other comments (still trying to learn how to quote multipl messages, so no "real" quotes here):

As for dogs....we've got a cute little....something or other. She was a rescue, but due to her blackish tongue, we know she's got chow in her somewhere, but other than that, she looks like a small German Sheppard...and she is the biggest chicken in the world. I sometimes skate around the house at night after the kids go to bed and she's on my heels trying to bite the skates, barking at them. LOL Take her for a walk, and we have to avoid main roads. On the side streets, if a car comes along, she tries to run into the nearest neighbor's yard. Skating with her, I think, is out of the question...at least for now. She is only roughly 6 months old, hopefully she'll outgrow her "chicken-ness".

As for blisters...I always got them on the ball of my right foot, never really thought of blister first-aid back then (I was 5 when I officially started hitting the rink regularly) so now that I'm 34 (birthday last week)...I have a huge callus (I know I spelled that wrong, sorry). When I got back into skating again a month or so ago, the first day, I not only got a blister, but it was a blood blister. After 4 hours, I could barely walk, but hadn't found this forum, and stupidly went skating again the next day (6 hours). I did do the "pin trick" that first night, and it hurt again the next day, but no more blister and I've been fine ever since.....thankfully. Thanks to the forum, I have been checking all of my kids' feet, just to make sure they haven't got blisters as soon as we get home, and to make sure, I check again before we go (usually Saturday afternoons, but we did go this past Wednesday for a school skating party).
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #73
oldfartskater
Beginner Skater

Default Latest stuff...

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share what's new for the old-newbe and his girl friend.
Last time at the rink I spent some 'real' time trying to skate backwards. I've been checking out the videos of 'hot step'n granny' on the quadskating.com web site and was really inspired by all the different ways to skate backwards, especially the side stepping method. But anyway, I was actually able to propel myself around the rink almost the whole way. It felt great mentally but oooohhhh did my feet hurt. Just not used to using the muscles needed for backwards skating. But I made progress and it felt great! The gf is having issues with pain in her shins and feet and it's holding up her progress. She's had problems with her shins when jogging before and has oddly shaped feet so foot pain is like 'all the time' for her. But she will keep at it and see if things get better or worse.
We're gonna get some outdoor wheels when I get my tax returns and then we can skate even more, yeah !!

'til next time,
Happy skating!
Bob
P.S. We're both on brand new quads: Riedell R3's for me, Sure Grip Boxer's for her.
oldfartskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #74
MaggieS

Red face

[QUOTE=lkatz;7234]I'm 66 I decided to take up quad skating outdoors before I tried to "graduate"
to inline skates. A few months ago I bought a Trike which I became proficient at so I wanted to try skating outdoors as well.

I had an old pair of quads and had outdoor wheels installed. Went to a a local roller rink to practice and took a lesson. It's been a long time since I've skated and didn't remember how much effort I needed to put into it. I attended an adult skate one morning and I was the youngest one there! Many skaters were in their 80's! They cruised around me and didn't seem break a sweat while I was sopping wet! (and sore)

Hi Katz
I am 54 and went to my local rink last week for the first time in 14 years...and I was also the youngest. there was a man there who was 90! After getting used to my skates, a skated pretty confidently for about an hour, but not fast by any means. I could feel the workout in my muscles, but I did not sweat nor did my heart rate seem to increase, except when I felt like I was going to fall! So, can you get a workout on an indoor rink? THe people who were skating around me seemed to be gliding more than anything. Also, why is it that people don't seem to wear any protection in indoor rinks? I Am a writer and I AM concerned about breaking my wrists...would put me out of commission and I don't have disability insurance!! SHould I take some if I decide to take up skating? I like it.. and it's too cold to walk outside right now!

Maggie
MaggieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #75
calidani

Hi All... this is oldfart's (a.k.a. Bob's) gf Dani. I've been lurking around now for a while... reading the stuff that he reads and whatnot. Finally decided to get my own account because I found myself frequently wanted to respond via his. As most of you probably know, we started skating in the beginning of the year, exclusively in rinks until a couple of weeks ago when we got outdoor wheels. I like em both but I prefer the rinks just because I feel more confident there.

I used to skate here and there as a kid... just going to the skate parties that my school had. I enjoyed it but never thought of taking it up as a hobby. Now, as an adult, I can make those decisions a little easier than I could back then! I love it... it's so much fun and way more entertaining than running or hitting the gym (in my opinion)! I skate on Sure Grip Boxers with pink/black Radar EVO wheels. I love the setup, it's great!

I'll try to get a pic of em up on here soon...

Looking forward to chatting with you all, and I also understand that some of you are from around here.. maybe we can hook up at the rink!

TTYS!
Dani
calidani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #76
BigBoyNewbie

Default Just starting to learn to skate

I tried it as a kid and was EXTREMELY unsuccessful..... My wife got me back on skates and I have become rather interested in skating... I just have a question????

Would it be better to learn on Quads or on Blades?????
BigBoyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #77
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyNewbie View Post
I tried it as a kid and was EXTREMELY unsuccessful..... My wife got me back on skates and I have become rather interested in skating... I just have a question????

Would it be better to learn on Quads or on Blades?????
Depends if you want to primarily take up quad or inline skating! Seriously, learn on which path you would like to go down the most. Inlines can be a bit more tricky intially because you need better balance and ankle strength, but not so much so that it's worth learning on quads. Most of all, just have lots of fun!

I'm a inliner, but find it easily transferable if I go to the roller disco on quads and lots of fun too - it's really nice to try on something different every so often!
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #78
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Default i've got the wiping out part down perfectly!

hey there!
i didn't see a place for introductions, so will use this both for that and my 'beginning skater experience'.

i'm not athletic or terribly coordinated, my sports experience being limited to fencing and hiking. my wife, however, is very athletic. so anyway, i bought skates for us last night. she already knows how to skate. i do not.

at first i couldn't even propel myself. i was just standing in the street, rolling around, my direction of travel depending on the vagaries of the street's inclination.

after a bit, i got the pushing myself off down, though sometimes i over extend something - foot? leg? arm? eyebrow? and pinwheel my arms to stay on my feet.

once i could choose when to move, i began working on choosing not to move. the use of the heel brake still eludes me, but i'm hoping to get there.

after a few hours of up and down the street, i refreshed myself with a few beers.

back on my skates, i tried to learn to stop by (and you're going to have excuse me, as i don't have the language of skating to call upon to say this properly) sort of quickly kicking or flipping the wheels of my skates at a right angle to my direction of travel and sliding or skidding to a stop that way.

my success with that was mixed, but better than when i was using the heel brake.

eventually it was pitch dark, and our neighborhood has few street lights, so i went inside.

both of my elbows have roadrash, there's a bruise the size of my fist on my right shoulder, my wrists hurt, and my neck and spine feel like i was in a low speed t-bone car wreck. and it's wonderful. i'm only thirty-eight, and have been feeling like an old man for years, and getting on those skates last night, wiping out, and not dying was one of the best, most fun things i've ever done. this is sort of cheesy, but it really does feel like i shed fifteen years of mental age in one night.

i'm leaving work early to skate more today.

thank you.

-aApe
the Asocial Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #79
TooFast
TooFast

Lightbulb Been there, done that

Hi Asocial,

Your first experience sounds a lot like mine! So, let me know what you think of this technology for beginners.

Have fun enjoying the sport!

Bruce

http://www.skatestats.com/?q=node/132
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #80
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
....let me know what you think of this technology for beginners.
huh! that's cool. i can see where that would make someone feel more stable. what happens if you want to learn to skate backwards, though?
the Asocial Ape is offline   Reply With Quote