S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 10th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #1
purlingwood

Default 70-90's music kids are OK with

Finally getting some leadway with the rink owner. He's only play the latest greatest music on one CD volume 38045. I think you know what I mean there.

I'm going to put together a few CD's of music that good to skate to, and some of the songs are similar to the ones they like of today, or even some they know.

I know certain Disney movies play some good older music, or have modernized versions of older songs. Madagasgar movie played the everybody dance by C&C. Shrek has a few good older ones. Even the knomio and Juliet has some decent tunes.

The music need to have pretty clean lyrics to get it in the mix.

I was thinking that C&C music factory song, roll bounce, boogie oogie they might like, good time by chic.

Something to mix in every 5th or 6th song.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

What age group?
What type of skating?
Where is the rink located?
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlingwood View Post
Finally getting some leadway with the rink owner. He's only play the latest greatest music on one CD volume 38045. I think you know what I mean there.

I'm going to put together a few CD's of music that good to skate to, and some of the songs are similar to the ones they like of today, or even some they know.

I know certain Disney movies play some good older music, or have modernized versions of older songs. Madagasgar movie played the everybody dance by C&C. Shrek has a few good older ones. Even the knomio and Juliet has some decent tunes.

The music need to have pretty clean lyrics to get it in the mix.

I was thinking that C&C music factory song, roll bounce, boogie oogie they might like, good time by chic.

Something to mix in every 5th or 6th song.
It's funny though, they usually don't know the songs are old until you start sininging along.

My 17 year-old just discoverd how good Michael Jackson was in the late 70's early 80's. Not just Thriller and Billie Jean.

I can seriously skate to the oldie slow-ies like Andy Gibb, Bee Gees, Air Supply, James Taylor, Oliva Newto John, Barbra Striessand, etc... but nobdy's going to play that stuff in a rink. Slow the music down and I'm just flying around that ring.

The best they play for that kind of skating right now is "Let it Go". Disney again. Say, let's sing a song about the time I was a cold, heartless witch, doesn't that sound like fun?

Did Disney get the complete Hans Christian Anderson collection as a bonus when they bought "Star Wars" and "Scooby Doo"? And what are they going to do when there are too many Princesses to fit on toddler shoes? Hey Disney, Let it go.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Derrick

Default My version of links

So....... I play a game I call links when I'm bored. Get on youtube start at any music video and only allow yourself to watch the suggested links. Got stuck on Donny Osmond's younger years. That stuff was actually very skateable if you don't puke first (I won't, I actually like it, I'm a bubble gum pop fan).

Anybody need an armature choreographer, who has no clue, to do " Puppy Love" for them? Lots of one foot spins not held long, presentations, holds, vogue, no jumping required. Bronze level should do just fine.

Last edited by Derrick; August 10th, 2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: fun
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #5
purlingwood

Skate rink is in the middle of the rural catskills.

For the most part, when the kids get past high school age, they leave the area.

Anywhere from 5 to 18 is the average age. Majority being 10-13.

The parents show up, but they let them in for free. My angle to get them to skate to better music is to attract the parents by playing something they like.

Flashlight might be a good one.

My 9 year old daughter gets home from visiting the grandparents in Florida. She ice and roller skates. I'll ask her about the dsiney songs she likes to skate to.

I do play a bit of music myself. Percussion and a little bit of bass guitar. I see what makes the kids want to skate and pick up the pace. Lots of older pop music tunes that will fit the bill.

Even my daughter like the music at other rinks.
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Tough Choices f/Song Selections

Hi NY-Catskills,
Just stay away from Toledo, NY on I-87.

Anyway, 70-90's gives you a lot of great 70s and 80s songs that some of the adults grew up on. They can probably still mouth the words. On that Blog tread I gave you some used at our Skateland place that have black artists. Late 70s for those older parents. The 80s just rock for great skating songs.

For the kids it is a bit harder. Lion King is always great. A lot of great songs to skate to that have peppy upbeats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ai53uYyUzg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB5ceAruYrI
Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CISzjeS3J8 The Mighty King.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. And Katy Perry has some good stuff too that the young kids can mouth. Stay away from her more slut sex stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0. < This is just one of her many good ones..

And play Double Dutch School Bus since it is kind of neat and fast of feet. I know it is all black people. Yet you know it is a good song the kids can relate with FOR 1 song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK9hK82r-AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqV8SZH7iGM and other stuff from Nicoloden

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; August 11th, 2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Adding on the HWay of Skating
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Derrick

Quote:

P.S. And Katy Perry has some good stuff too that the young kids can mouth. Stay away from her more slut sex stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0. < This is just one of her many good ones..
Yea, I have that issue with Katy Perry. She seriously sells herself to the young crowd, then promotes an awful message. My daughter baby sits a 9 year old that just loves Katy, has videos and cd's. Then she copies her style of dress, it's not good. But her single Mom doesn't seem to care, or perhaps does not have enough time to care. All too common.
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Get Songs that have Interludes / Comment Add

Hi Again,

First Derrick's comment. A tad long reply before I get to my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yea, I have that issue with Katy Perry. She seriously sells herself to the young crowd, o - o Then she copies her style of dress, it's not good. But her single Mom doesn't seem to care, or perhaps does not have enough time to care. All too common.
The above is all too true. Kids, Girls better than guys are copiers. Since the music industry has been doing this to young girls since maybe Madonna, it gets hard to latch onto a young music gal in rock music that doesn't turn slut, when it is time. The best you can do is pick a reasonably clean young music gal, and then ditch her when she turns to the sex for anything side like Miley Cyrus and Brittany before her.

Anyway the kids still like her and most of her songs and videos play to the princess in little girls. So those are mostly OK, YET not all. There is that "Let's Go all the Way tonight, make me your teenage queen"

OK Songs with Interludes for the Adults/Parents in the Catskills.
According to Research and a book I heard about on NPR the brain loves songs that have breaks into a new pattern and then return to the old music pattern. I won't go into the details as to why (too long) yet I have noticed in skating hard in chain skates with adults that these type of songs are like interval training and very enjoyable. Wish I could give you examples, yet you will know when you find them.

Yours in Skating to Music, Yours in Skating MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yea, I have that issue with Katy Perry. She seriously sells herself to the young crowd, then promotes an awful message. My daughter baby sits a 9 year old that just loves Katy, has videos and cd's. Then she copies her style of dress, it's not good. But her single Mom doesn't seem to care, or perhaps does not have enough time to care. All too common.
Yeah, that's tragic.
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10
emtdpf

Madonna, Kc and the Sunshine band, MJ of course, Blonde, Culture Club.

If you happen to have either Direct TV or Cable, or Siruis, they have a channel of 80's and 90's music you can listen to and make your descisions.......

I cant remember the music I used to play when DJ on Friday nights in MT....... place was always hopping, but then again.....lol... it was the 80's.........

here is good link.....
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Moonbe...ts_of_the_80s/

Ah... brings back memories
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Have Used Don's Advice / Other

Hi Again,

First off you are going to have to update us on your progress. A lot of brain cells are firing to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
o - o If you happen to have either Direct TV or Cable, or Siruis, they have a channel of 80's and 90's music you can listen to and make your descisions....... o -o
I have used Don't technique to get songs for the guys I skate with that like 80s music. Got a boat load of suggestions from listening. They also have a young channel. SO anyway great idea to select songs, and have used it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
o - o
At the top of Don's note he listed older music which is GREAT, yet young people look at, pattern "their generation" as we did before them. SO although I love KC and the Sunshine band, the Beetles, The Bee Gees, and much much more you need to find a current group or singer that is doing the same magic that touches the young teens at their age. .

In brain chemistry this makes sense that most teens look to other teens, or those slightly older, rather than those a lot older than themselves. Anyway that is the way it works in our culture.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S.
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #12
purlingwood

I know a good bit of songs from that era. Much more so than today's stuff.

Just seeing what you all have seen at the rinks. What songs seem to work well.

Getting the owner to open up his CD changer. Treading carefully.

Got to give it up by marvin gaye is going to be one of them.

Superstation by stevie wonder

Roll Bounce is definitely one of them.

Going to look closely at recent Disney movies. C&C music factory is on Despicable Me.

Still need to put a CD together.
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #13
jahowell

How about Mr Vain by Culture Beat - any sort of Eurodance genre music - Black Box, 2 Unlimited etc. That's more 90s than anything and should get people worked up if played once in a while.

Personally I'd like to have Jesus and Mary Chain, Joy Division, The Pixies, Sisters of Mercy, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden playing but that's unlikely unless I make my own rink
jahowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 06:25 PM   #14
ThomasHSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahowell View Post
Personally I'd like to have Jesus and Mary Chain, Joy Division, The Pixies, Sisters of Mercy, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden playing but that's unlikely unless I make my own rink
If you're in a big enough city it might be doable. Figure out a slow night at the rink and ask permission to promote a once a month thing for a few month to see if it takes off. I'd go. My rink's dj always puts in '80s music to clea the rink of kids just hanging out and that's my favorite fifteen minutes of the session.
ThomasHSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:34 PM   #15
jotson

Gap band - Party Train or Early in the Morning

George Clinton - Atomic Dog (Not sure what this was in, but I think kids know it)

Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:45 AM   #16
1986SST

Here's some songs more than five years old I have had luck getting played
Snap, I've got the power
Missy Elliot, loose control
Timbaland and soshy , after dark
Sugar hill gang , rappers delight
CnC music factory , everybody dance now
Depeche mode , Strangelove
Rob base and DJ EZ rock , joy & pain / it takes 2
Tone loc , wild thing / funky cold medina
Salt n Peppa, expressions / Shoop
Black street, nodiggity
Brittany Spears - Toxic

Here some songs that I always thought were great, but no dice:
Pet shop boys, west end girls
Timbaland and Furtado, Promiscuous
Timbaland et al, Give it to me
Depeche Mode, People are People
Cameo - Word up

There is a website call 'who sampled' where you can look up your favorite songe and see who used them as a hook.
A good example is Buzzin by Mann in 2010. The hook is Nu Shooz I can't wait.

Sorry, this was prettier the first time I typed it, but my IPad didn't show me love and erased it.
1986SST is offline   Reply With Quote