S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:06 PM   #1
zcorce

Default "2 wheel Tina" - making a pair of two wheel skates

My daughter has been watching "2 wheel Tina" (Her skates have no rear wheels) on youtube.

Now she wants me to hack an old pair of skates for her.

Seeing that she is allowed in differnent skate rinks with both wood and roll-on floors she must have a rear setup that dosn't damage the floors.

Videos never give a close up of her skates - has anyone seen her skate or more specifically seen her skates?

If I get this done soon I may have found a way to keep my 15 year old daughter coming to the rink for awhile.

Her older SG Fame skate have a plastic frame and will be easy to cut down or I could compleetly cut off the heel section and possibly add and an extra pair of bolts to enforce the attachment of the remaining front section.

Thanks for any info
zcorce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:43 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Just a comment/post from Larry O...LOL!

Just my two cents. I have not seen Tina’s skates. I did look at one video since you posted the subject. And although Tina may have shot videos in these two rinks I would doubt in California, that many skating rinks if any would allow someone to skate like Tina on skates with front wheels only???
Just a guess.

1) I will say this. In my little skating rink, years ago. Lets say over 40 years ago. We had an old man, I’m guessing about 70-80 years old that skated back in the early 70’s. He would do exhibitions, only where everybody would stop skating. He would take off the rear wheels/trucks of his skates and perform demonstrations, just like what Tina is doing. Then he would stop and the rest of us would continue to skate. He usually did these demonstrations during his birthday party at the rink, once a year.

2) I would be really surprised if Tina skated all session on just her front wheels. It seems that would get tiring...LOL!.

A) My guess is she (Tina) took her rear wheels/trucks off her skates for a few songs to make the video(s). And then later put the rear wheels/trucks back on her skates and continued to skate normally.

Just a guess.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 04:31 AM   #3
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Tina's skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
My guess is she (Tina) took her rear wheels/trucks off her skates for a few songs to make the video(s). And then later put the rear wheels/trucks back on her skates and continued to skate normally.
I watched some Tina videos on the "tube" and definitely observed a full length skate plate. As LarryO guessed - it appears she removed the wheels and trucks for the demonstration. She has real skills and removing the rear wheels is like doing a circus act without a net(no safeties).

Might suggest: use slightly smaller wheels on the rear trucks and larger on the front trucks. Easier to stay on toes, but still have some safety backup. Don't forget a dance plug in place of a toe stop! Most rinks will not allow skates that don't have a toe stop or dance plug. Your daughter then could develop the toe skills necessary without too much undo danger and a lot less likely the rink management would interfere.

Tina is terrific! Hope your daughter becomes as skilled as she. It is a skill few skaters would have.

Keep rollin

p.s. pad up! Those skills don't come easy. Sure to have falls.
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:59 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I'd be interested in knowing how long she actually skates. Staying on your toes for a while is a little taxing on your calfs and the balls of your feet. Granted her rear wheels are gone so she can "stay on her toes" where the rest of us would not. Maybe that keeps her from wearing out really fast. I can stay on my toes long enough to make any of the videos shes got on youtube, However why even bother doing that to your skates when you can do everything she was doing without a skate modification?(thinking about the arguement I would present to my own kid if she asked for this)

Also, if friends decided to skate some fast laps where does that leave you? You can only get so fast with the front axles being used to skate. Nothing in the videos I watched looked over walking speeds.

I'd also see some rinks as not allowing that. even if you modified the rear where a "heel" of a shoe was molded around the plate so it wouldn't directly touch the floor. Obviously the KP was removed from her skates.

Just take your kids KP out from the rear and remove everything. see how long that fad lasts. MAYBE 2 songs?
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:55 PM   #5
zcorce

No plan to hack up her good skates but with three kids skating for over 15 years I have a selection of older wornout skates to play with.

I realise this is a novelity item and will only be used for short durations.

But I also thought this when she swithed to artistic skates with mini Fomac wheels when all the kids her age were skating Vanilla Skates. Most of the skaters her age are gone and she is still her keeping up with the fast sakters riding the slide deep into the corners.

Do not see simply removing the wheel and/or trucks as a option - obvioulsy floor will be damaged.

The more I look at the SG Fames the more I am considering cutting the frame and removing the back half. That way when she stopped moving she would be standing on the heel.

Daughter has suggested I drill two holes in the heel to mount a pair of dance plugs.

Her plans are to skate with either Fomacs or my old Mecury wheels.

The primary goal is to keep my daughter interseted in going to the rink - at our rinks most kids stop coming a short time after they turn 15.
Old August 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #6
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

I have it verified through other sources; Tina skates only on two wheels. She is definitely one of a kind. http://sk8ernation.com/index.php/vid...g-in-st-louis/ At about 1:12 in the video, it appears what looks like a toe plug on the back of her plate.
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #7
purlingwood

You could either buy some small wheels, or maybe have someone cut the wheels down to 40-45mm or so. Maybe even smaller.

Make sure the wheel is tall enough to clear the cushion bolt / nut.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #8
bolivia

impressive....very smooth and controlled in her transitions.
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Seen Similar at RollerKingdom-Tyngsboro Long Ago

Hi,

First I have seen gal toe dancers before. Tina if you notice stays on the backwards more than forwards caused it is easier for the gals. They use their hips and rears to get balance. She also has slow wheels so she can do that slow roll around.

I also, have watched several older gals stay up on their toes for a god awful long time doing center floor dancing about a decade ago. RollerKingdom on Sunday night was packed with Adults and winding down as I came to my first session. And I was there for the "crying it is over" session. Still skate with some of these gals off and on over at Skateland, yet being older they can't do it, and do it, over and over again for an hour like they did when younger (40s, 50s).

As for your daughter and 15. A tough transition to other interests. I do know some that stick longer even into adulthood, yet they are a rare breed.

Better if you have guys that skate who are 17/18, so she keeps her interests up. Some hot dog quaders, or great bladers who can side surf.

Yet if you really want to build these things do it for 3 gals not just your daughter. She needs a team.

Past 15 is tough.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #10
diagetus

Hello zcorce.
Interesting...she's definitely on 2s. Was hard to tell in video because of the lighting. She's doing an excellent job! Front truck toe work can tire the legs quickly.

Quad1 (Leo) used to skate 1s, but only part of the session. Quad1 is a nice guy who mentored a lot of the St. Louis skaters. He learned from QuadMan who used to skate full sessions on 2s - if I recall correctly. Regardless, they're both strength skaters. The lineage branches are pretty sparse when it comes to this. hehe I'm pretty sure Quad1 trained Tina. It's just so rare for anyone to rig their skates like that and Leo is one of the last guys doing mods like that.
Quote:
Videos never give a close up of her skates - has anyone seen her skate or more specifically seen her skates?
It was many years ago, but I seem to recall Leo telling me that he custom machined his setup. I think I lost his contact info, but I'll have to ask him next time I catch up with him. In the meantime, perhaps this video of Quad1 will help? It shows a close up of his old setup at the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWzkP-WEDoQ

I read through the previous posts and saw great advice/suggestions. As the other posters already warned, you may not want to leave the back of plate exposed - even if it's plastic. Skate King is a special case. It's a rink for rhythm skaters. (One of the few minority-owned rinks in the nation I might add.) It's very likely you will encounter resistance at just about any other rink. I'd bet my right arm that Coachlite wouldn't let Tina skate that setup.

Not to discourage you here, but I think the posters are preparing you for possible disappointment. I would hate for you to do all that work for your daughter only to have her blocked from every rink in her area. For what it's worth, a great deal of toe maneuvers can be executed without removing the rear assembly. Converting to an NTS plate may be enough to spark her interest? With 2s, your daughter may be doomed to skate that arrangement outdoors forever... if you don't live in St. Louis.
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #11
zcorce

Daughter is quite proficent on her toes. When we do toe races I struggle to make a lap (Arms failing) while she make multiple laps doing spins when she passes me. My personal best is one lap to her three.

She routinely skates 2-3 songs on her toes.

As for making multiple skates for friends part of the alure is having a setup no one else has.

Once again looking for suggestions on modifing a Fame plate and/or pictures of other plates modified in a similiar way -- Or is Tina (and her skates) truely one of a kind.
Old August 27th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #12
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcorce View Post
Daughter is quite proficent on her toes. When we do toe races I struggle to make a lap (Arms failing) while she make multiple laps doing spins when she passes me. My personal best is one lap to her three.

She routinely skates 2-3 songs on her toes.

As for making multiple skates for friends part of the alure is having a setup no one else has.

Once again looking for suggestions on modifing a Fame plate and/or pictures of other plates modified in a similiar way -- Or is Tina (and her skates) truely one of a kind.
Try going to the comments section below the video. Simply ask if Tina would share what she's done to her plates.
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #13
diagetus

I second sk84luv's idea

Just looked at time code 00:04 on Quad1's vid. Tina appears to have same plug setup.

Quad1 probably just stripped the threads on a Fomac dance plug to fit it in the housing where the kingpin would normally sit...well that's my best guess. His front assembly is machined, so the exposed axle doesn't damage the floor.

Quote:
I've heard of the Fame wheels, but couldn't find a Fame plate. Perhaps other loggers have seen it. Does it go by another name? The mod approach Tina is using wouldn't be wholly unique, but it's very rare to be sure!
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #14
zcorce

Not a Fame Plate but a entry leve skate package offered by SureGrip which her older sisted skated one severl years ago.
Boots: Sure-Grip #37 synthetic art boot.
Chassis: Rock plates with double-action trucks.
Wheels: Sure-Grip Fame 57mm artistic wheels.
Bearings: ABEC-3

Plates are nothing special but being plastic I will be able to work on them.

Suffering from analysis paralysis - but looking at fitting a plug into the kinkpin may get me moving.
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #15
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagetus View Post
Hello zcorce.
Interesting...she's definitely on 2s. Was hard to tell in video because of the lighting. She's doing an excellent job! Front truck toe work can tire the legs quickly.

Quad1 (Leo) used to skate 1s, but only part of the session. Quad1 is a nice guy who mentored a lot of the St. Louis skaters. He learned from QuadMan who used to skate full sessions on 2s - if I recall correctly. Regardless, they're both strength skaters. The lineage branches are pretty sparse when it comes to this. hehe I'm pretty sure Quad1 trained Tina. It's just so rare for anyone to rig their skates like that and Leo is one of the last guys doing mods like that.

It was many years ago, but I seem to recall Leo telling me that he custom machined his setup. I think I lost his contact info, but I'll have to ask him next time I catch up with him. In the meantime, perhaps this video of Quad1 will help? It shows a close up of his old setup at the beginning:

I read through the previous posts and saw great advice/suggestions. As the other posters already warned, you may not want to leave the back of plate exposed - even if it's plastic. Skate King is a special case. It's a rink for rhythm skaters. (One of the few minority-owned rinks in the nation I might add.) It's very likely you will encounter resistance at just about any other rink. I'd bet my right arm that Coachlite wouldn't let Tina skate that setup.

Not to discourage you here, but I think the posters are preparing you for possible disappointment. I would hate for you to do all that work for your daughter only to have her blocked from every rink in her area. For what it's worth, a great deal of toe maneuvers can be executed without removing the rear assembly. Converting to an NTS plate may be enough to spark her interest? With 2s, your daughter may be doomed to skate that arrangement outdoors forever... if you don't live in St. Louis.
I skated next to Leo in ATL one year. Tried to talk to him while on the floor but he was doing too many turns. Very impressive stuff for two wheels!
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:53 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wrong about her Aloneness

Hi zcorce,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcorce View Post
Daughter is quite proficent on her toes. o - o
She routinely skates 2-3 songs on her toes. o - o As for making multiple skates for friends part of the alure is having a setup no one else has. o - o
You missed most of my message which is OK.

First 2-3 songs is not that strong, yet good. 6-9 minutes up on toes

Being all alone for girls in accomplishment is even worst than for boys. SO you got that human development thing ALL wrong. The allure is being the first and then bringing UP others to your same plateau. She will get disinterested being the only one. Now I know you want to forget about her growing interest in boys yet HEY that too in your lack of knowledge is OK.

She is going to fade fast from skating is my prognosis.

Tina is not ONE of A KIND as you have suggested, and many can do this without modifying their plates and set ups. YET it is OK that you think you have to.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM   #17
diagetus

Quote:
I skated next to Leo in ATL one year. Tried to talk to him while on the floor but he was doing too many turns. Very impressive stuff for two wheels!
Hehe. Yeah, that sounds like him. Busy working on his skating. I hope you had a chance to chat with him though. Real nice fellow.