S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 8th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #1
doppioritt

Default hudora figure plate: anyone tested hudora?

Hi,
the topic is in the title, has anyone ever tested the hudora plates?

Paolo

Last edited by doppioritt; March 8th, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
doppioritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppioritt View Post
Hi,
the topic is in the title, has anyone ever tested the hudora plates?

Paolo

now thats a plate you dont hear a lot about, i havent heard it mentioned in years and never seen one. isnt it a very old plate that isnt made anymore or is it a new plate not here in the usa?? i think its an old one like the paioli if i am correct.
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
doppioritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
now thats a plate you dont hear a lot about, i havent heard it mentioned in years and never seen one. isnt it a very old plate that isnt made anymore or is it a new plate not here in the usa?? i think its an old one like the paioli if i am correct.

correct, is an old plate, very well known in the '80 and '90. Very special for figures (at that time).
But I see that no one (except you, Rick..) remember that plate. My interest were to understand the great (or small) difference vs modern figure plates.
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #4
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:

What was or look like Rick? Was it an all around or specific style of skating?

Old March 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
bobnva

They were supposed to be THE skate for loops back in the day.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #6
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

I still have my Hudora's in the cupboard.. they were a fantastic frame. Petra Dayney convinced me to buy a pair when I was training with her back in `92.. while I was never the greatest at figures, they were really nice to skate on. It was very hard to get parts for them, even then.. altho the cushions lasted (mainly coz I didnt practise too much!).. for loops they were fantastic, giving so much control.
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

can you post of pic of them? I don't think I've ever seen this plate before!
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #8
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post

I just took a few and will upload later for you..
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #9
doppioritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
I still have my Hudora's in the cupboard.. they were a fantastic frame. Petra Dayney convinced me to buy a pair when I was training with her back in `92.. while I was never the greatest at figures, they were really nice to skate on. It was very hard to get parts for them, even then.. altho the cushions lasted (mainly coz I didnt practise too much!).. for loops they were fantastic, giving so much control.

this topic was started in front of a comment I heard. "Hudora plates are still the best". Jayson, is it possible that after 25 years this is still true? Let me know your opinion, related to other plates.

Paolo
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #10
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
this topic was started in front of a comment I heard. "Hudora plates are still the best". Jayson, is it possible that after 25 years this is still true? Let me know your opinion, related to other plates.

Paolo
well its difficult to say.. very difficult.. its a matter of preference for each person.. but HUDORA frames were made to precision, u can see the work in the frame, there was a lot of thought in the design of this frame for sure... purely a matter of preference.. its like roll-line frames, they are great, but for me I still like my Labeda's!!!
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #11
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:

Paolo
Paolo,

It's my understanding that the Roll-line Pro Figure Giotto are a variation on the original Hudora's. You can see them at http://www.skatesus.com/store/produc...products_id=41 . I had a very long conversation with David Ripp at Skates US about these frames-- when I decided to return to skating figures and wanted to upgrade my Snyder Spring Steel Figure plates. If you'd like to see my new figure skates check out my Flickr Photo set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwehmei...7603676803358/

They are very quick plates-- took a little time to get used them, but I do enjoy skating in them.

Mary Lu
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
well its difficult to say.. very difficult.. its a matter of preference for each person.. but HUDORA frames were made to precision, u can see the work in the frame, there was a lot of thought in the design of this frame for sure... purely a matter of preference.. its like roll-line frames, they are great, but for me I still like my Labeda's!!!

Jayson which labeda's did you use, the 5 degree angle or the 10 for your singles, i didnt know you were on that plate then.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #13
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Jayson which labeda's did you use, the 5 degree angle or the 10 for your singles, i didnt know you were on that plate then.

I'll tell you a quick and interesting story about those frames Rick... umm, I first started with Snyder Super Deluxe and I got my triples clean at 16 in 1985/6/7 on those skates, anyways.. i switched to Star B1 at 18 and strangely enough I could not rotate one single jump clean, not even the axel properly.. i was all over the place, but they were great for spinning. Anyways, right up until May 1990 I was still having trouble rotating the jumps and I was keen to try the Labeda's because David Demotte and other skaters from CA had them.. so I got a pair and the following month I had all my triples back.. 3months later I got my first medal at worlds (was ranked 11the year before), so I skated my from 1990 - 1996 on Labeda.

I visited the labeda factory in Jan 1991 when I was in LA for a few weeks staying with Nicki Armstrong and the guys at the factory gave me a new pair of frames. Then in `93 I got an updated pair. So I'm not sure which ones I had, in all they were a brilliant frame.
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #14
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
sure, here we go.. (they are not great pics though sorry)

I probably should have 'dusted' them off! haha.. very dirty!
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
I'll tell you a quick and interesting story about those frames Rick... umm, I first started with Snyder Super Deluxe and I got my triples clean at 16 in 1985/6/7 on those skates, anyways.. i switched to Star B1 at 18 and strangely enough I could not rotate one single jump clean, not even the axel properly.. i was all over the place, but they were great for spinning. Anyways, right up until May 1990 I was still having trouble rotating the jumps and I was keen to try the Labeda's because David Demotte and other skaters from CA had them.. so I got a pair and the following month I had all my triples back.. 3months later I got my first medal at worlds (was ranked 11the year before), so I skated my from 1990 - 1996 on Labeda.

I visited the labeda factory in Jan 1991 when I was in LA for a few weeks staying with Nicki Armstrong and the guys at the factory gave me a new pair of frames. Then in `93 I got an updated pair. So I'm not sure which ones I had, in all they were a brilliant frame.

Jayson thats an interesting story on how you did so well on the snyder and then had trouble with the stars, as you know Scott C. loved the stars, i mounted his last boots on an atlas and he didnt like those as much as the stars but used them because he couldnt get parts for the stars anymore.

Labeda did get popular in the 90s for sure, i think Eric Harne skated on them also, he was a better jumper then spinner though. Heath skated on atlas if i remember correctly and Eric had snyders, then he went right to the rolline energy when it first came out from them. thats the plate my son has now, Eric loved them as did Derick and Josh. did you ever try the rolline yourself?

Ciao
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #16
simon woodman

To be honest with you guys as i am in my teens and i am the only one in my famaily that skates i only know about roll-line, edea, riedell. So it is interesting to know about the plates of the past and see how they have changed compared to my roll-line mistrals and roll-line matrix plates. So i say a big thank you for showing/ telling as about the plates.
simon woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #17
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon woodman View Post
To be honest with you guys as i am in my teens and i am the only one in my famaily that skates i only know about roll-line, edea, riedell. So it is interesting to know about the plates of the past and see how they have changed compared to my roll-line mistrals and roll-line matrix plates. So i say a big thank you for showing/ telling as about the plates.
simon, the roll-line energy frame looks identical to the Labeda frame. I am positive it was modelled on that.. biggest difference is the smoother lines from a moulded cast. However, the same shape applied to the base of the Labeda frame.. I'll take some pics of that too..
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #18
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Jayson thats an interesting story on how you did so well on the snyder and then had trouble with the stars, as you know Scott C. loved the stars, i mounted his last boots on an atlas and he didnt like those as much as the stars but used them because he couldnt get parts for the stars anymore.

Labeda did get popular in the 90s for sure, i think Eric Harne skated on them also, he was a better jumper then spinner though. Heath skated on atlas if i remember correctly and Eric had snyders, then he went right to the rolline energy when it first came out from them. thats the plate my son has now, Eric loved them as did Derick and Josh. did you ever try the rolline yourself?

Ciao

Hey Rick... to be honest, both Scott Cohen and Michele Biserni were the reason why I got the Star frame!!! anyways, never mind... Eric was on his sndyers for a long time, he didnt change until 2000, and I think that was after a lot of convincing from others! I miss seeing Eric around, we were great buddies.. Does your son like the frames?

Yep, Heath was def on Atlas, what a great skater too!

I have had 3 pairs of roll-line frames... I used them for two years (energy) and got a pair in 1998 just to mess around with as I wasnt skating then... I lost that pair tho (ummm, yes... I put them down in the stadium in 2002 and someone took them!!!).. nice little gift they were for someone! haha.. but they are great.. really great. I do love them, i just prefer my labedas!
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #19
rwsz

Quote:
Hey Rick... to be honest, both Scott Cohen and Michele Biserni were the reason why I got the Star frame!!! anyways, never mind... Eric was on his sndyers for a long time, he didnt change until 2000, and I think that was after a lot of convincing from others! I miss seeing Eric around, we were great buddies.. Does your son like the frames?

Yep, Heath was def on Atlas, what a great skater too!

I have had 3 pairs of roll-line frames... I used them for two years (energy) and got a pair in 1998 just to mess around with as I wasnt skating then... I lost that pair tho (ummm, yes... I put them down in the stadium in 2002 and someone took them!!!).. nice little gift they were for someone! haha.. but they are great.. really great. I do love them, i just prefer my labedas!

Eric liked the energy after he got it. when he got the next model he gave them to Derick and i mounted them, took him a while to get use to them as they were so quick. he was in the atlas and snyder advantage before then. he loved the plate after he got use to it and wouldnt skate on anything else. i thought the atlas was a bit more stable on the landings but he was the skater so thats how it stayed. could have been him lol. he got others to tried them and after they did they said now i know why you raved about them and loved them so much. all i did was roll around on them so it didnt matter much to me.

do you find your labedas a bit more stable??? are your labedas the speed model or the artistic model??

Ciao
Old December 25th, 2016, 07:59 AM   #20
Gee

Did you know the Paioli Hudora is back as Hudor?

The Paioli Hudora, an old plate from the 80's, has been brought back as Hudor. There are dealers in the US and UK carrying the Hudor. Both Hudora and Hudor use the same clip action as the Atlas which I prefer over the Roll Line and Snyder. The Hudor comes with rubber cushions. The truck on the Hudor is the same as the truck on the Piranha, Shark and Cristal, so you should be able to interchange the rubber cushions with the urethane cushions used on the other plates designed for freestyle.

I feel both Hudora and Hudor are excellent figure plates on par with Atlas and better than Roll Line. My preference for figures is to set the cushions to as loose as I can manage for loops and as tight as I can manage for circles.